Talking With Your Hands

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
Hello Escapist. How are you? That's nice. New hairdo? It's working for you!

Anyway, I was having a conversation with my friends and I realized I talk with my hands (Using my hands to help illustrate my words) without thinking. However, I also realized I am terrible at it in that my hands just kinda move randomly whenever what I'm saying has no possible illustration ie. Randomly pointing at friends or giving thumbs up for no reason until I look like an optimistic Parkinson's victim.

So I was just wondering, do any of my fellow Escapists find themselves making a puppet show with their hands? And if so, how much or in what way?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
No, not particularly. The only times I do it are when I do it deliberately to prove a point or give an example of something.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I thought you meant talking while... you know...

OT: I make random hand gestures that look like something out of an old Resident Evil game.

You know how Leon swings his arms around wildly while talking to Clair?
Kinda like that.

Baby Eater

Aug 27, 2009
smearyllama said:
I thought you meant talking while... you know...

Ohhhh no that's for the After hours threads XD

OT: I make random hand gestures that look like something out of an old Resident Evil game.

You know how Leon swings his arms around wildly while talking to Clair?
Kinda like that.
So like G.I Joe having a seizure?

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
I generally don't talk with my hands, unless I'm drunk or overly excited about something.

Also, somewhat offensive joke: What do you call it when an Italian has one arm shorter than the other?

A speech impediment. Ba-Dum tish!

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
If I'm really into the conversation, before I know it, my hands will be all over the place. The better , or the more intense the conversation gets, the more puppety I get.

If I'm just answering with short answers and it's pretty dull, or awkward, then no hand movements.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I talk with my hands all the time. It's just something I picked up. Not really a big deal.

shreedder

May 19, 2009
I talk with my hand frequently. When I am giving a speech I make an active point to think about my hand.

TheStickman

Dec 24, 2009
I thought this was a thread about sign language.

You liar.

OT: Sometimes I find myself waving my arms around like I'm trying to take off in the middle of a conversation.

Baby Eater

Aug 27, 2009
TheStickman said:

You liar.

OT: Sometimes I find myself waving my arms around like I'm trying to take off in the middle of a conversation.
A.Long time no see! :D
B. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to relay sign language through text!?

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I talk with my hands all the time. Sometimes in the same way you describe. And when my nieces were small even literally. (Meet Righty and Lefty folks! They will.... eatyouandtickleyouandnomnomnomnom!)

I don't know where I get it from as neither of my parents were hand-talkers... well, my dad wasn't at least, can't remember my mother well enough. Huh, thank you OP. I must discuss the origin of this with my hand-talking siblings!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Sometimes, usually for dramatic effect. My mother does it all the time, quite animatedly. She's clipped a few eyeballs with her fingers in the process.

Also, gesticulation is one of my favorite "sounds way dirtier than it is" words.

Pic related.

Baby Eater

Aug 27, 2009
trollnystan said:
I don't know where I get it from as neither of my parents were hand-talkers... well, my dad wasn't at least, can't remember my mother well enough. Huh, thank you OP. I must discuss the origin of this with my hand-talking siblings!
Welcome!
.....300,000 quid please.

TheStickman

Dec 24, 2009
Baby Eater said:
TheStickman said:

You liar.

A.Long time no see! :D
B. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to relay sign language through text!?
A. I wasn't aware I was missed.

B. I guess if you could find little pictures.

Of course it'd take forever to type in all the BBCode.

Video?

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
I never realized how much I talked with my hands until I Skyped with some friends who are overseas and they commented on how much I was moving my hands for the story. I didn't even have a webcam and they could tell because of how into the story I was and the whooshing noise it made.

Baby Eater

Aug 27, 2009
TheStickman said:
A. I wasn't aware I was missed.

B. I guess if you could find little pictures.

Of course it'd take forever to type in all the BBCode.

Video?
Q. Of course you were missed!

4.Too lazy.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I do, but I've kind of taught myself to not do it so much. I remember one comic strip of "Pickles" (maybe you've heard of it?) where the old woman is talking and her arms are flailing everywhere, so her husband comes up and ties her hands behind her back. And she's literally speechless.

lol she opens her mouth and the word bubbles are blank.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Baby Eater said:
trollnystan said:
Welcome!
.....300,000 quid please.

Er... Do you take IOU's? I'm a little strapped for cash at the mo'. And the next 5 to 10 years. >.>