Target Aus Pulls GTA V From Shelves, For Its "Violence Against Women" - Update

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Meanwhile Jack Thompson is looking on from his volcano lair thinking "well shit, why didn't I think of that?"

the people saying it's just Target are assuming the people protesting are going to stop with Target, considering one of the goals in the petition was 'send a message to other stores that stock the game' I would be shocked if we don't see more petitions like this one soon

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
IceForce said:
ryukage_sama said:
Women earn less than men for doing the same quality of work at the same level as their male counterparts in virtually every profession.
You have a citation for this? Not that I doubt what you say, because I know what you've said is correct. I'm just interested in seeing the exact figures.
I would encourage everyone to look at the exact figures. It clearly demonstrates that men and women actually make almost exactly the same for the same work. Something like a 7% difference in some fields and young women are actually earning more than young men fresh out of college for the same work. The whole women earn 7 cents for every dollar a man makes is a flat number across all fields of work that does not take into account hours worked, positions held or jobs worked. Just an average of every working american. Feminists don't want to talk about the specifics because it does not support their narrative.

mrbah

Sep 16, 2014
their reasoning for this was bad, but they are free to not sell a product they don't want to sell.
it becomes a problem for customers when there are only a few selected retailers who are willing to sell a product.
not censorship as it is.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
IceForce said:
ryukage_sama said:
Women earn less than men for doing the same quality of work at the same level as their male counterparts in virtually every profession.
You have a citation for this? Not that I doubt what you say, because I know what you've said is correct. I'm just interested in seeing the exact figures.
For a broad data set, you can look at the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, since they have access to the biggest primary source for people's income: income tax.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.htm

The Catalyst also has a breakdown of this information by industry:

http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/womens-earnings-and-income

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Robert Marrs said:
IceForce said:
ryukage_sama said:
I would encourage everyone to look at the exact figures. It clearly demonstrates that men and women actually make almost exactly the same for the same work. Something like a 7% difference in some fields and young women are actually earning more than young men fresh out of college for the same work. The whole women earn 7 cents for every dollar a man makes is a flat number across all fields of work that does not take into account hours worked, positions held or jobs worked. Just an average of every working american. Feminists don't want to talk about the specifics because it does not support their narrative.
The 70 cents for every dollar figure is a purposely ignorant statistic. Feminists know they're full of shit and still use it to serve an agenda.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Robert Marrs said:
IceForce said:
ryukage_sama said:
It would be lovely if you actually linked to your source on this

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
The soccer mom brigade is most likely to blame here, not SJWs. Or is the soccer mom brigade SJWs? Jesus, can we get a flow chart for all the groups? People play fast and loose with these terms, but it's getting annoying to keep up what falls into SJW, Gamergate, Soccer mom, etc. etc. etc.

...You people obsess over labels way too much.

Yeah, as to the actual story here, not too surprised. Someone already said Australia will ban a game if people swear too much.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
So i guess all the men in the game are holograms and you can just drive straight through them , yeah that must be it.

Oh wait no silly me its only bad when it happens to a woman. Its fine for a man to be run over in a game or shot or set on fire as long as it does not happen to women.

Bloody femanits again, i think its getting to a point now where they are the sexist ones.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
remember when THAT PERSON said they wouldnt take away our games?

and you guys actually believed that? i dont want to tell you i told you so, but i told you so

btw from what i understand, only a single women dies in the story of the game, you are not forced to kill any women

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
ryukage_sama said:
IceForce said:
ryukage_sama said:
For a broad data set, you can look at the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, since they have access to the biggest primary source for people's income: income tax.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.htm

The Catalyst also has a breakdown of this information by industry:

http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/womens-earnings-and-income
wasnt that study debunked a good while ago?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303532704579483752909957472

they forgot to account for women who worked less hours than men, women who were married and had children (which of course leads to missed days due to pregnancy, etc), they also forgot to mention the fact men are more likely to take risky jobs that pay more, and due to this, men represent 92% of job related deaths

they even ignored the career choices between men and women

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:

and you guys actually believed that? i dont want to tell you i told you so, but i told you so
So are you claiming Anita Sarkeesian did this? Can I see your proof?

Hell, what game has actually been taken away? That sounds like needless histrionics.

Xiado said:
Tell me again about how we don't live in a female-primary society, O horde of white knights who think that feminism is the way to act out their natural desire to protect females.
Two chains decide to pull one game from their stores in a single country. This is your evidence of a female-primary society?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

So are you claiming Anita Sarkeesian did this? Can I see your proof?

Hell, what game has actually been taken away? That sounds like needless histrionics.
no of course im not implying she did this it would be ridiculous

what im saying is that, people who follow this way of thinking, namely the so called "social justice warriors" want this, they want every "problematic" game to be banned or to shame devs into changing games, etc

oh but dont listen to me, listen to the producer of tropes vs women in gaming, the one and only jon mcintosh

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/540339671448825857

yes, shaming and slandering people into censorship is perfectly fine

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
LazyAza said:
To be fair I can't imagine this is much more than a tonne of moms happening to notice little jimmy beating up hookers and freaking out over it. The violence against women thing was just the particular content they happened to notice in the game that set them off and focus on while ignoring the other horrendous stuff that goes on in every gta game.

I mean yeah the games are labeled r18 adult only here now in australia but everyone knows parents are still dumb as bricks and are going to let their kids in the 8-12 age range play these games because they're "just games".

This is just the tried and true example of not enough adults in the world still not realizing games labeled not for kids are in fact NOT FOR KIDS. Australia especially I find is still very very VERY far behind in realizing this even on a cultural level. Lots of very old or very old-thinking people here sadly.
I hope for sake of Australian gamers that Yahtzee's prophecy comes to be true.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
totheendofsin said:
Robert Marrs said:
IceForce said:
ryukage_sama said:
It would be lovely if you actually linked to your source on this
You're a grown up you can do your own research. You should anyways do your own research for all you know I could just link some bs study to support my claims. A quick google search will tell you everything you need to know from many sources. Feel free to explore them all and come to your own conclusions. I'm on mobile so I am reserving the right to be lazy about this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
So when you said THAT PERSON, you meant someone different this time?

That would be convenient.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
So when you said THAT PERSON, you meant someone different this time?

That would be convenient.
no i did mean her, my point was that, while anita didnt get GTA5 banned, people who think like her did

its the obvious outcome of thinking everything even remotely "racist", "sexist" and "homophobic" is deplorable, they will want to get it banned, or changed

so instead of doing something productive and ENCOURAGING the development of games more "inclusive", they condemn those that according to them are not

this is why this line of thinking is fundamentally flawed

hell for people who call themselves "progressive" they seem to be still stuck back in 30s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
Their loss really, just creates more demand for other markets. I'm sure if they took this decision they probably weren't selling a whole lot anyways.

Artaneius said:
They haven't since they won everything back in the 20th century. Like my grandmother always told me. If you give someone an inch they will abuse it and take a mile. We shouldn't of gave in back then and thus wouldn't of have the problem with feminists now.
"The entire woman's right movement and everything they accomplished is bad because a few of them got two retailers in a single country to ban one of my video games!"
More like it's bad because it's now taking away rights from the very people that allowed them to gain rights in the first place. Feminists fail to realize that the same men that "oppressed them" are the same people that gave them their rights after they whined and bitched enough in the first place. You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you or in this case bite the hand that allowed you to do anything you want.

Anymore we might as well as drown any new children that are born as a man in Western Civilization. For they are expected to not only continue as their roles before the woman's right movement but to essentially obey and pay for anything that woman want or need for their rise up the social and political food chain. Feminism meant something during the Renaissance period, in modern days it represents modern day entitlements and beliefs that rights are something "guaranteed". The only thing your guaranteed if your not rich is an entire life existence working for those superior to you in the social ladder. Nothing more and nothing less. Your a cog in the machine with select privileges so you don't attack your bosses or leaders.

This current event is just icing on a cake that should of never been baked in the first place. If this is the final product of the cake, then the baker should of been fired and never allowed to get another job again.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Artaneius said:
Anymore we might as well as drown any new children that are born as a man in Western Civilization.
That's certainly a rational response to an imagined slight against men.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
no i did mean her, my point was that, while anita didnt get GTA5 banned, people who think like her did
But she didn't take our games away, making your sentiment the usual BS.

Nor did anyone get anything "banned." Honestly, that you have to remix everything just to make an argument should tell you something.

hell for people who call themselves "progressive" they seem to be still stuck back in 30s
For someone who doesn't like stereotyping, you sure do a lot of it. "Do as I say, not as I do?"

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Artaneius said:
More like it's bad because it's now taking away rights from the very people that allowed them to gain rights in the first place. Feminists fail to realize that the same men that "oppressed them" are the same people that gave them their rights after they whined and bitched enough in the first place. You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you or in this case bite the hand that allowed you to do anything you want.
Yeah, women should thank men for giving them rights. Because rights are like privileges and not fundamental standards that we should hold everyone to. Similarly, if you're a black person, you should be grateful towards 1860s America for being one of the last western nations to abolish slavery. And you should probably thank your government right now for giving you the right to not be killed or imprisoned for speaking against them.

Artaneius said:
Anymore we might as well as drown any new children that are born as a man in Western Civilization. For they are expected to not only continue as their roles before the woman's right movement but to essentially obey and pay for anything that woman want or need for their rise up the social and political food chain.
Oh behold the plight of the oppressed white male; with higher average standards of living then the majority of people within their own country, much less the world. They may as well be all killed on the spot to spare them the hardship of their lives.

Artaneius said:
Feminism meant something during the Renaissance period, in modern days it represents modern day entitlements and beliefs that rights are something "guaranteed". The only thing your guaranteed if your not rich is an entire life existence working for those superior to you in the social ladder. Nothing more and nothing less. Your a cog in the machine with select privileges so you don't attack your bosses or leaders.
Technically according to the constitution of many nations you're guaranteed to a bunch of other things known as "rights" (see paragraph 1). And wow, women used to be denied a lot of those rights, like the right to vote, work, be financially independent, etc. All of this is pretty recent as a matter of fact, woman's suffrage was only granted in 1920 less then a hundred years ago. But please go on about how feminism stopped meaning something post-Renaissance.