Target Aus Pulls GTA V From Shelves, For Its "Violence Against Women" - Update

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Remember guys, they aren't trying to take away your video games. They just want more female representation in video games.

They say as a video game is *literally* pulled off the shelves due to asinine bitching.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
*Reads comments*

Anywho, oh noes, two big stores in Australia aren't selling a game based on the complaints of their customers.
I guess Aussies who want to play GTA V will have to just go to another store and buy the game. I mean, it's not a country wide blanket ban on the game, it's literally two franchises/stores trying to score brownie points with the people who've complained about the game.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Shanicus said:
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Gamergate is not the SGC. You are not Colonel Jack o'Niell. SGU would be a much better comparison, given the whole 'Started off terribly and is now only mildly atrocious' and 'Most of the cast suck complete ass except that one guy who is alright'. Fits way more than the SGC/SG-1 comparison, really.
So what would Anti be in that equation? The writers who made it terrible to begin with? Though I guess you're right, GamerGate is more more like the Tok'Ra then the SGC.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Mr Cwtchy said:
Remember guys, they aren't trying to take away your video games. They just want more female representation in video games.

They say as a video game is *literally* pulled off the shelves due to asinine bitching.
And when a video game article is taken down from a website due to asinine bitching, that's a totally different thing, right?

Oh I do love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
IceForce said:
Mr Cwtchy said:

And when a video game article is taken down from a website due to asinine bitching, that's a totally different thing, right?

You know, you and everyone else trying to all it hypocrisy have as of yet not fond a way to make "Insulting your core audience who are the sole reason you have a job" equate to "I don't like how this portrays women but have no problem with it doing the same for men".

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Feminism is such a fucking joke these days -_-
Seriously, they want equal rights, then they fucking complain when they get it.

They want more Women in video games, what happens? They complain and shit like this happens.

You know what, I'm done. All I see here is 40k worth of women that having nothing better to do and totally missed the fucking point of feminism.

Especially for saying this about GTA, I mean seriously WTF? I guess they cant see all the other genders and races in this game can they?

Wake me up when feminism get's back to fighting for something worthwhile and not QQ'ing over a fucking video game.
/rant

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
It's time for Australian gamers to rise up and fight against the oppression. Sooner or later this is going to result in country wide bans again. I for one don't wish for our brothers and sisters in Australia to suffer because of bullshit real life problems that should be completely irrelevant in gaming products.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
VincentX3 said:

They want more Women in video games, what happens? They complain and shit like this happens.

You know what, I'm done. All I see here is 40k worth of women that having nothing better to do and totally missed the fucking point of Feminism.

Especially for saying this about GTA, I mean seriously WTF? I guess they cant see all the other genders and races in this game can they?

Wake me up when Feminism get's back to fighting for something worthwhile and not QQ'ing over a fucking video game.
/rant
They haven't since they won everything back in the 20th century. Like my grandmother always told me. If you give someone an inch they will abuse it and take a mile. We shouldn't of gave in back then and thus wouldn't of have the problem with feminists now.

Doesn't matter how good the intentions are. Somehow... someway... every good intention eventually will become abused and corrupted. The status quo back then should of realized the cancer before it grew and did anything possible to make sure it never festered. Apparently playing by the book wasn't enough and they lost. Now the future generations must suffer the consequences because the status quo back then wasn't able to enforce their dominance. *sighs* Have mercy upon us all.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
and where were all these "feminists" crying about all the overwhelming violance against ONLY WOMEN in GTA V when it came out the first time ?. They clearly have not played the game, or any other for that matter and are rehashing the same old bullshit grasping and straws. This just pisses me off.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Since pretty clear cut to me. THE GAME IS R18+
If an adult can't differentiate a game and the real world they have waaaaaay bigger problems than playing violent video games.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Artaneius said:
VincentX3 said:

You know what, I'm done. All I see here is 40k worth of women that having nothing better to do and totally missed the fucking point of Feminism.

Wake me up when Feminism get's back to fighting for something worthwhile and not QQ'ing over a fucking video game.
/rant
They haven't since they won everything back in the 20th century. Like my grandmother always told me. If you give someone an inch they will abuse it and take a mile. We shouldn't of gave in back then and thus wouldn't of have the problem with feminists now.
Then I'll stay asleep.

Or maybe we should teach these 40k worth of women to fight for better causes, but that might require some actual mental capacity that obviously none of these women have.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Their loss really, just creates more demand for other markets. I'm sure if they took this decision they probably weren't selling a whole lot anyways.

Artaneius said:
"The entire woman's right movement and everything they accomplished is bad because a few of them got two retailers in a single country to ban one of my video games!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zontar said:
How is it dishonest? You're saying we lied threw our teeth to get something which didn't have any direct connection to us pulled from existence when the articles where much more then that.
I'm saying that you used a false premise to go after these publications. Well, unless you think angry white males who believe violence equals power is the core base of gaming, but then you shouldn't even really feel insulted if that's true.

As for the company which reversed their stance, the only one I'm aware such a claim being made is Adobe, and that was because people misrepresented a statement of their condemning harassment as them reversing their stance despite still dropping their ads and the statement not actually supporting Anti due to there being more harassment from Anti then anyone save for trolls.
You're making excuses again.
I think the worst part of that is that you actually believe it's true and not that you actually said it.
If you're going to parrot me, you should probably understand the content that's going on, first.

I have no idea what that acronym means honestly, but I have a feeling it's something stupid that isn't on par with GamerGhazi. Namely because I'd have herd an anti use it before now.
It cracks me up that you're talking about "antis" as a movement.

But you've heard both SPLC and what it stands for "Southern Poverty Law Center" before. You're right. It's not on par with "Gamerghazi."

I'll admit it would need a few kinks worked out to work an an analogy
Like adding some actual truth.

Shanicus said:
Remember, those letters were also advised to not include any reference to the Gamergate movement at all, to make it look like this wasn't an organized group trying to push their agenda onto corporations. Wait, wasn't one of the major complaints from GGers being the feminists forcing their evil SJW agenda onto Games Journalism?
But isn't that the crux of the matter? When we do it, it's okay to push an agenda?

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Gamergate is not the SGC. You are not Colonel Jack o'Niell.
In conspiracy theories, the CT is always the hero.

AstaresPanda said:
and where were all these "feminists" crying about all the overwhelming violance against ONLY WOMEN in GTA V when it came out the first time ?. They clearly have not played the game, or any other for that matter and are rehashing the same old bullshit grasping and straws. This just pisses me off.
Yeah, how dare they react to video that wasn't available last year only now, rather than a year ago?

Wait, what? So they clearly haven't played the game, which you agree with, and their only information is what they've seen in viral videos that only were made recently, so why WOULD they go after the game last year? Why would you expect someone to attack something before the information existed? And who said they were "feminists" in the first place? I mean, other than people using this as an excuse to complain about feminism.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zontar said:
IceForce said:
Mr Cwtchy said:

You know, you and everyone else trying to all it hypocrisy have as of yet not fond a way to make "Insulting your core audience who are the sole reason you have a job" equate to "I don't like how this portrays women but have no problem with it doing the same for men".
Where it falls down is thus: Kotaku and all those other sites have significant and long-established userbases; userbases that actually enjoy reading and consuming the material posted on those sites.
Whether these people enjoy being "insulted" or not, we can only speculate.

What GamerGate is doing, is they're speaking on behalf of all those people, without the authority to do so. They want content to be taken down, websites to be taken offline, and people to lose their jobs, even though there are plenty of other people who want no such thing, and actually quite enjoy those sites and the content they produce.

With this Australian story, now you're on the receiving end of this. That's the only difference here.
Someone else has kicked up enough of a fuss to get something taken down, without the authority to do so, and genuine consumers like yourself can no longer 'consume' said item from said private company.

The boot is on the other foot, and all of a sudden you're crying foul.

I would've thought a story like this would've been right in GamerGate's wheelhouse.

"Yes! Consumerism at work!" "Take down the things we don't like!" "Prevent other people from having them!"

But instead you're complaining about something being taken away from you, just like the userbases of the sites you don't like.
And that is hypocrisy, hypocrisy of the highest order.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Retailers are well within their rights to remove products from their shelves if they want to. No one was forcing them, they could have just ignored the petition. They chose of their own volition to remove a product they were stocking on their shelves. The government didn't force them to remove it.

People crying censorship on this one and comparing the petition signers to Jack Thompson have no idea what they're on about. Jack Thompson wanted to enact LEGISLATION to restrict people's access to video games. These petition signers are expressing an opinion and people of their own free will are listening to them.

Do I think what these petitioners have to say is stupid? Of course, it's the same bullshit Thompson was spewing. But that doesn't mean that these two situations are the same thing.

I expected better of the Escapist. This piece read like an angry rant, not a news article.

Edit: Also, I love all the casual sexism being thrown around here. Really great guys.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
It should be noted in the Update that Kmart and Target share the same parent company, so it's not exactly two completely separate stores.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Reed Spacer said:
Yeah, but this is Australia; they'll ban a game if a character swears too often.
Yes, and Wal-Mart is America, right? What Walmart does is the policy of the US government right?

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
If these were right wing christians getting the game removed because it offended their values the people trying to excuse this as not being a big deal would be having a fit. Its a shame really. A group of people is actively trying to prevent other people from consuming media but because they are left wing feminists some would rather defend them. Those that are so self absorbed in their own beliefs would rather defend these actions or pretend they don't matter because criticizing this would mean admitting they are wrong somehow or going against the all powerful tenet of "Listen and Believe".

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Sassafrass said:
*Reads comments*

Anywho, oh noes, two big stores in Australia aren't selling a game based on the complaints of their customers.
I guess Aussies who want to play GTA V will have to just go to another store and buy the game. I mean, it's not a country wide blanket ban on the game, it's literally two franchises/stores trying to score brownie points with the people who've complained about the game.
Technically only ONE store, since they're both owned by the same company.