Target Slashes All Vita Prices To $199

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Target Slashes All Vita Prices To $199

Come August 18, Target is reducing the price on all Vita systems to a mere $199, but if you're interested in this deal you should take advantage of it quickly.

The PlayStation Vita handheld, for all of its technological superiority and genuinely neat accoutrements, has been lagging far behind the Nintendo 3DS for almost the entirety of its lifespan. You can't really blame consumers though, as the Vita is a relatively expensive gadget, with very little in the way of enticing games. Sure, it's got Persona 4 Golden, and Earth Defense Force 2017 Mobile, but you could easily exhaust the handheld's supply of quality titles in a month. Then what?

Forget all of that though. The reason for this post is not to celebrate the Vita's ailing fortunes, but instead to inform all of you of an upcoming sale on the device that should make it a bit more tempting. According to an ad discovered by the deities of frugality at CheapAssGamer, Target is hosting a sale which will reduce the price on all Vita systems to a mere $199. Given that the Vita usually retails for $250 or $300 (depending on how much storage you'd like it to have), that's a pretty sizable discount.

The only major caveat here is that this deal is only available for a limited time. The ad claims that the sale begins on August 18 and will run through August 24. That's not much time to take advantage of Target's generosity, but again, if you don't have a Vita, it's hard to tell when you'll next see a deal of this magnitude.

While news of a sale is always welcome, it raises an important question: Does this price reduction indicate an imminent Sony-sponsored price cut for the Vita? Honestly, nobody outside of Sony knows, but with the Gamescom conference mere days away this would seem an opportune time for Sony to cut the device's price in an effort to drive sales to the flagging handheld. We can't guarantee that this will happen, but don't be too stunned if $200 becomes the Vita's new default price point in the near future.

Source: CheapAssGamer [http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/318222-target-ad-818-824-all-ps-vita-systems-19999-splinter-cell-blacklistsunkist-offer-disney-infinity-new-release-12-off-select-playsets/]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Good news. The truth is, this is a fantastic handheld with the exception of the ridiculous price. I bought one on Ebay that came with an 8 Gig card for that same price. The thing is, for a library it has not only Vita games, but also the entire PSP game collection and the entire PS1 game collection. It's worth it, to be honest. But the cost of those cards is still very prohibitive. The major saving grace is that you can back up all your games onto your PC or PS3. I really want this to fly off the shelves because I want to see more quality games for it.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Entire PSP collection? I thought only downloadable PSP games were available.

...Does it have a Fate game? (Fate/Extra....)

...and a Nanoha game? Where I can play Vita on my Vita so I can like while like? >.>

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Bumped down to the 3DS XL price? That's not a bad deal. Unfortunately I am not going to buy it just so I can play a better version of a game I already own (Persona 4). >.>

Maybe in a few years when more stuff comes out for it.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Doesn't John Grey Carter cover all Vita related articles? Oh, it's a positive article on the Vita, that's why.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I really like my vita, I think it's a great device. I just wish there was more to play on it.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
It's getting there. The major problem the handheld is having is that it has very few noteworthy exclusives, and the exclusives library is growing at a speed of molasses. My poor vita has been collecting dust for probably over half a year now. =(

Also, I'm really hoping the battery in the Vita doesn't lose a lot of capacity with time.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Dammit...I could buy it...but do I need to?...That $200 could go to the PS4 which I already pre-ordered. But, if I support the system, maybe more games will come out for it. And I could play the PS1 library on it, considering the PSP lacked the other analog stick. I'd still need to keep my PSP for Kingdom Hearts, but maybe...I've got 15 days to decide, so hopefully I'll know by then.

Apr 28, 2008
Fappy said:
Bumped down to the 3DS XL price? That's not a bad deal. Unfortunately I am not going to buy it just so I can play a better version of a game I already own (Persona 4). >.>

Yeah, you'd have to be crazy to get it just for a better version of a game you already own! Ha, [sub][sub]haha[/sub][/sub] [sub][sub][sub]ha[/sub][/sub][/sub]

I'M NOT CRAZY SHUT UP STOP LOOKING AT ME!!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
mysecondlife said:
Also, a (significant) price cut on memory cards would be nice. 4gb just doesn't cut it.
Sony are costing themselves money with this continued stupidity with the memory card prices, they seem unable to grasp the concept that by making it incontinent to download games people are not buying as many digital games. On a console that heavily relies on digital content, its crazy.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Australia recently had a massive discount with a Vita + Soul Sacrifice / PS All Stars / LBP for $200. I snapped up Soul Sac and honestly I'm having much much more fun with the Vita than my 3DS. Web browsing is easier, being able to watch youtube and more importantly NO STUPID REGION LOCKING (also games are relatively cheaper in Australia). When Terraria comes out for the Vita, I'll probably just hook myself up to it.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Irridium said:
Fappy said:

Yeah, you'd have to be crazy to get it just for a better version of a game you already own! Ha, [sub][sub]haha[/sub][/sub] [sub][sub][sub]ha[/sub][/sub][/sub]

I'M NOT CRAZY SHUT UP STOP LOOKING AT ME!!
heheheheheheHEHEHEHEHEHEHEAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm just fine, I guarantee you the voices don't try to get me to do horrible things on a daily basis.

Yeah my Black Friday wait last year was getting a Vita solely becuase of Persona 4 Golden, even though I have my PS2 and copy of Persona 4. Worth it though, Its library is filling in slowly, It did allow me to fill out my Persona collection, and if i can get a bigger memcard and get the money the PSP and PS1 library is a nice feature.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
evilneko said:
Entire PSP collection? I thought only downloadable PSP games were available.

...Does it have a Fate game? (Fate/Extra....)

...and a Nanoha game? Where I can play Vita on my Vita so I can like while like? >.>
The only game I can think of that for sure doesn't have a digital version (though I'm sure there's a good number) is Kingdom Hearts BBS. Both of the Fate games are available on PSN though so you can get them for the Vita, and Unlimited Codes is ONLY available through PSN.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
J Tyran said:
mysecondlife said:
Also, a (significant) price cut on memory cards would be nice. 4gb just doesn't cut it.
Sony are costing themselves money with this continued stupidity with the memory card prices, they seem unable to grasp the concept that by making it incontinent to download games people are not buying as many digital games. On a console that heavily relies on digital content, its crazy.
Inconvenient, sir, not incontinent. One of these pertains to an object or a service's ease of use, the other refers to loss of bladder and/or sphincter control.

OT: I do hope that the PSVita's price drop reaches us Norse folk too. A new handheld console might be nice, and from what I've heard the battery in the 3DS is not fantastic. A re-release of either handheld with a better battery for the 3DS or compatibility with generic micro-SD cards for the PSVita would make me quite happy!

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Honestly to all of you on the fence, snap it up at this price. Yes there are not a whole lot of quality titles for the vita, but the ones it does have are truly excellent. It is easily the best mobile device for gaming around.

(Also the more people who buy it the more games will be made for it!)

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Klumpfot said:
J Tyran said:
mysecondlife said:
Inconvenient, sir, not incontinent. One of these pertains to an object or a service's ease of use, the other refers to loss of bladder and/or sphincter control.

OT: I do hope that the PSVita's price drop reaches us Norse folk too. A new handheld console might be nice, and from what I've heard the battery in the 3DS is not fantastic. A re-release of either handheld with a better battery for the 3DS or compatibility with generic micro-SD cards for the PSVita would make me quite happy!
3DSXL has a vastly improved battery life (about 3 hours more) also feels a lot nice in your hands than the original one (aka, no sharp painful corners that yahtzee's always complaining about).

OT: Well, about damn time. Now this shit needs to reach Europe and with humane memory prices the vita will finally take off decently. Not that I will buy it anyway any time soon. 200? out of my gaming budget means 5 3DS games which right now are way more attractive than getting a new console (also the reason why I haven't upgraded to the 3DSXL yet). Still, who knows how 2014 is going to look like.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Klumpfot said:
J Tyran said:
mysecondlife said:

+5 pendant points to you good sir, obvious spelling mistake caused by Androids word insertion gains a condescending remark but the point is completely ignored. Yes I do happen to know the difference between the two words and I do happen to know what incontinent means, do you understand what having very bad manners means?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
As someone who got a vita of Ebay for what I believe was a good deal, this is excellent.

I have had my vita for 3 weeks and have about 150 hours played time. Persona 4G, Rayman and BlazBlue CSE along with the spyro trilogy (ps1) and Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim (psp) (oh god is that one a surprising timesink).

I can see a bunch of games I want for it when I'm done with what I have. Still yet to start Uncharted for that matter.

The library is surprisingly strong for someone like me who never had a PSP.