Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play, Meets the Medic

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
tahrey said:
Speaking as someone whose computer may or may not be powerful enough to actually RUN TF2, I entirely welcome this news, as I can now try it out (and with it, finally discover if my machine can cope with - yes, try not to faint with disbelief - Portal. As in, "one".) without risking carefully guarded and presumably non-refundable beer money.

If it works, and I like it, I'll happily buy something from the Mann store... and probably the remainder of Orange Box too, if that's still a pay-for item.
Most Source games run pretty well on older systems. Before my new laptop, it ran on an even older laptop very well. Now you got a good benchmark

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
I thought it was already free?
It was a "Free Week Free Weekend", something Steam does once in awhile to preview games. Turns out that was a ruse to show off the F2P stuff.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
ZiggyE said:
Glerken said:
It's not as bad as buying a game and then it being ridiculously cheap the next day because of a holiday sale.
It's worse because this isn't a sale, it's permanent. If they made it so that it was free only for this weekend or that it was ridiculously cheap for awhile then I wouldn't be bothered, just bad luck. The fact that they are giving it away from free and all we who paid full price are getting is additional benefits (which can be purchased for as little as a dollar, significantly less what we originally paid) and a free hat irks me somewhat.
ZiggyE, it's a 4 year old game, and there are plenty of F2P competitors out there already (Battlefield Heroes, those weird Korean ripoff games). For the game to stay competitive, they pretty much had to do this. It's also a good experiment to see if Dota 2 should do the same - with it's already F2P competitor.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Android2137 said:
Great! That means I can finally learn how to play!

Meet the Medic was... wow... I didn't know Dr. Frankenstein was German. Also, I was kinda expecting Meet the Pyro to be before that for no reason other than this:

Pyro: *seconds of expressive gesturing and muffed talking*
Interviewer (O.S.): ... *whispering* Did you understand anything he said?
Cameraman (O.S.): ...Nope.
Interviewer: Alright, screw this. Let's go interview the Medic.
Pyro: *muffled* WHAT?!
*TF2 ending music, set to the sound of the flamethrower, screams, and Pyro's psycho laugh*

Edit: Wait, hold on! I just remembered! I just graduated! I'm supposed to be looking for a job! VALVE, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!
Apply to VALVE?

I played TF2 nonstop while sending out resumes and calling people. It was my break/reward, and it kept me pretty happy. Set goals - a few hours of job hunting, reward TF2, a few hours of job hunting, etc.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
NooNameLeft said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
As I overlook the FAQ for free people, I am deeply saddened by how bullshit it is. Getting the game for free means you CAN'T:

Give trades
Find hats
Give gifts
Have as many backpack slots (1/6 the number a person who paid for it has, 50 compared to 300)
Use every crafting blueprint

Oh, and to upgrade to a 'premium' player, it costs $1. One dollar for a game I had paid $20 for.
"Q. How much of the game can I play without paying anything?
The entire game can be played without making a purchase. All game modes, classes, and maps are available. Nearly every weapon is available through achievements, drops, or crafting."

I don't see a problam
No hats and rare and unusual items though - which is fine. I've never had a rare or unusual item drop.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Guess i don't have an excuse not to try it out now *tries to download TF2*, 'steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request', bah.

willow925

Mar 24, 2011
I don't understand why people are getting pissed that free accounts cant trade. All they would do is hat farm.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Aerograt said:
Not really about the game going F2P (I don't really care, honestly I like the social aspects of MMOs and this sounds like the route TF2 is taking), but... Um...

WAS MEET THE MEDIC FREAKIN' AWESOME OR WHAT???!?!?!
YEAH BOY! :D

And Valve, they do something like making the worlds best online FPS (in my opinion) free, but yet they make it so that no-one disrupts the endless amounts of fun!

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Awesome74 said:
Well, that's... kinda cool, I guess, but, not to sound ungrateful, what about the money I paid for it? Maybe I could get a free hat, Valve? :3

EDIT: Just to clarify: I'm really not annoyed at all about the free to play thing. As long as they keep making updates, then I'm happy. I was just thinking that it'd be a Valve thing to do to give a hat or something. If I didn't get one then I'd be perfectly content; I was just curious.
I got a free hat called "Proof of Purchase" :)

Feb 13, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
Downloaded it, having fun.

Is there an Escapist Server? How do we get more weapons? Why do I have to play medic 3/4 of the time!!??
Yes: alpha.tf2.escapistmagazine.com:27015
uk.tf2.escapistmagazine.com:13013
Talk to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC
Because few people can play a good medic.

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
RadiusXd said:
Corkydog said:
Called it three days ago, in the first Escapist article on this. I am satisfied.
I saw that, and skimmed the thread just to congratulate you sir. Well done.
now, to play moar free TF2!

WHY SERVERS WHY?! WHY AM I AUSTRALIAN!?
I tip my hat to your extra effort, jolly good all round.

As for the servers...yeah, methinks they'll be a tad slow for a while.

Wireframefool

Mar 20, 2011
Meet the Medic was certainly worth the wait. And I did get that "Proof of Purchase" hat a minute ago, the "From another era" part gave me a somber feeling.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Meh. The only thing I find interesting is that people actually paid enough in the store to make this whole thing financially possible. Really are hats and getting items sooner really that important? Oh facepalm for the type of people who play TF2 the criticism should not be directed at Valve for capitalizing but at the players for being... cash machines.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
i dont think (or at least hope not) dota will be f2p, rts' demand the tight balance that will not be achieved through 'perks' via micro transactions

Even if the perks are completely cosmetic it will have an effect on the gameplay via visual recognition, something quite important - is that a spellcaster or is that a heavily armored knight? these things need to be instantly recognisable

And any kind of non-cosmetic perk, i.e. better heroes will completely skull fuck balance

BUT, i havent played 'LoL' so its speculation on what i think microtransactions will do to the game, i could be wrong idk

MgsTheFury

Dec 2, 2009
I like how Valve does some thing cool for their fans, and a good majority of the people are just crapping on it

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I think more companies should do this, monetizing older games. While if you bought the game last week I can understand feeling cheated, my copy of TF2 just came with my Orange Box, which I purchased not just for my PC but also for my Xbox.

They already got me to buy one of the .99 class starter packs, but I also think it's very cool that you can just randomly find items in the game, too.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Well no, friend. I actually read the article before watching the video.
The video was the best thing ever. I wish I could save it somewhere, because it was just so awesome and no words can clearly describe how wonderful it was.

Maybe my sister can describe it.

"Man, that was so cool I think I came just from watching it."

Eh, good enough