Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play, Meets the Medic

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Wow, perfect timing. I was just looking for a good F2P FPS, but after the utter catastrophe that was AVA, I was about to give up. And now this. Thank you Valve!

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
As long as Half Life 2 and the episodes don't go free, I won't feel like an idiot for actually BUYING the Orange Box...

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
It's good to have more people introduced to awesomeness. And Meet the Medic...holy shit that was fucking awesome.

dday4you

Jun 11, 2008
i'm updaing now. AWESOME! MY HOURS AS A MEDIC WERENT WASTED! MUHAHAHMUGAGHAHAHAHAHAHAH
(and thats how i lost my medical licence)

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Well, that's a very intelligent move. They will earn much more money if more players will pour in and decide to buy even one thing, just to get a premium account than they would get only relying on game sales.

Feb 13, 2008
Erana said:
What is the Pyro reading at the end, guys?
Can't quite see...just the light he's flicking on and off. Might need to watch in HD.

Edit: I 'think' it's the Saxton Hale Comic with the girl scouts, but I'm not sure. Certainly has the Jarate ad on the back.

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
Wish I knew it was pretty gruesome before I started watching. I'm eating my lunch here.

Mind you though, only one to go. I'll be sad when it ends.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Awesome news. New players, sweet!
And Meet the Medic was also funny as hell, heh. "Kill me." "Later". Oh, i lol'd.
I can imagine the Escapist TF2 group will get some new members now, eh?

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
I bouhg thte Orange BOx for about £3.50, So i'm more than happy to spit valve a little change since i've played TF2 alone from that package for over 100 hours.

By my own rating system it's a game worth about £100, but if these folk wanna play for free then god love em'

Just don't ruin it for the rest of us.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Awesome74 said:
Well, that's... kinda cool, I guess, but, not to sound ungrateful, what about the money I paid for it? Maybe I could get a free hat, Valve? :3

EDIT: Just to clarify: I'm really not annoyed at all about the free to play thing. As long as they keep making updates, then I'm happy. I was just thinking that it'd be a Valve thing to do to give a hat or something. If I didn't get one then I'd be perfectly content; I was just curious.
If you read the update: You DO get a free hat! I think it's like those Medals they gave out to people based on how long they have owned the game.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
As I overlook the FAQ for free people, I am deeply saddened by how bullshit it is. Getting the game for free means you CAN'T:

Give trades
Find hats
Give gifts
Have as many backpack slots (1/6 the number a person who paid for it has, 50 compared to 300)
Use every crafting blueprint

Oh, and to upgrade to a 'premium' player, it costs $1. One dollar for a game I had paid $20 for.
Er... a 20 dollar game that is 4 years old at this point. It would be a 5-dollar-bin game now ANYWAY.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
hmm, i was literally going to buy it in 10 days (as soon as i get real internet back, thanks slow internet company, for taking a month), guess i dont have to.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Speaking as someone whose computer may or may not be powerful enough to actually RUN TF2, I entirely welcome this news, as I can now try it out (and with it, finally discover if my machine can cope with - yes, try not to faint with disbelief - Portal. As in, "one".) without risking carefully guarded and presumably non-refundable beer money.

If it works, and I like it, I'll happily buy something from the Mann store... and probably the remainder of Orange Box too, if that's still a pay-for item.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Thumper17 said:
Just played, Item servers are down :(.

Feels great not having access to earned items.
Item servers were up for me all the time. Must be just your server.
He says, three hours later. I reply "Thanks tips."