Team Fortress 2: The (Fake?) Engineer Update

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
D4zZ said:
Also, why a blimp??
The correct question is always "Why not a blimp?"

Though I have it on good authority they prefer to be called dirigibles.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Shadow Law said:
What do I care I play the crappy xbox version which valve doesn't give a damn about.
Same. But remember: the sooner Valve releases all the updates the sooner they release them for the Xbox (or so I've heard).
Doesn't seem like a fake though, although it should have 3 updates added to it.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Hellraiser seems a bit OP to me, taking away the spies cloak is like taking away the engineers PDA, even if it's just a temporary thing. Either way, it's clearly a fake. I wouldn't expect to see this in the game, either. The blimp sounds way rad, though.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Assuming it is fake, I certainly hope Valve isn't stupid enough to throw these in just because people like the idea. The whole point of TF2 updates is to evaluate what issues the gameplay still has, and what additional weapons and items could be used to counter them. Right now, the only problem the Engineer really has is that it's too easy to just turtle the hell out of a choke point or intel room if it's small enough. They solved too much Sniper camping by giving him a bow and arrow, so maybe the Engie needs something cool that he needs to move closer to the combat zones to use, so players will be more inclined to desert their buildings?

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
With 90 hours played on Engie, I really want those achievements. To hell with the weapons. :)
HEY! I have 90 hours on Engineer! GET AWAY FROM MY NUMBER!
Hopefully, this is Valve trying to trick us into thinking it's fake, and then surprising us if it isn't. Hopefully...*wringing hands* HOPEFULLY

G-Mang

May 11, 2009
I wouldn't get your hopes too high about such fresh content until after Left 4 Dead 2 comes out. Robin Walker has personally stated that TF2's development team has been reduced to just 2 people because of the work going into L4D2. Those two can release small things (like the new sandvich mechanic) and change numbers and fix bugs and whatnot, but releasing entirely new classes or weapon sets requires more modeling, texturing, sound engineering, and testing than they can do at the moment.

Master_Fast

May 6, 2009
If Valve were to seriously take this into consideration, I hope they'd only put in the blimp. It actually addresses the fact that engys always have to demolish their stuff EVERY TIME a team moves up. Only bad thing with the blimp is the explody part, you'd just engies where all they'd do is move up just to get their blimp shot. The rest of this update I don't really like, because the nail gun is pretty much Jarate with damage. And the EMP is just a sapper and a sticky combined.

And, on the note of this being a fake. When I first saw it I thought it was real. It was pretty well written and the art looked genuine. Then I got to the idle map.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I think the Engineer should have a nail gun that can repair items from a distance and fire similar to the medics Syringe Gun (except it fires nails...and is weaker...). The Blimp idea sounds impressive but I don't really like how it looks...kind of picky on the subject....

I think it's fake though...http://www.teamfortress.com.br/engineerupdate/day02.html seemed a bit too silly, what with the dozen nails in the spy's face and everything...though I must admit, these things are becoming harder and harder to determine if it's a legit update or not, and these look very, very professional....

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Master_Fast said:
If Valve were to seriously take this into consideration, I hope they'd only put in the blimp. It actually addresses the fact that engys always have to demolish their stuff EVERY TIME a team moves up. Only bad thing with the blimp is the explody part, you'd just engies where all they'd do is move up just to get their blimp shot. The rest of this update I don't really like, because the nail gun is pretty much Jarate with damage. And the EMP is just a sapper and a sticky combined.

And, on the note of this being a fake. When I first saw it I thought it was real. It was pretty well written and the art looked genuine. Then I got to the idle map.
Yeah, the Blimp impressed me... I think they should consider it and give a shout out to the guy who created it. The Hellraiser and the EMP I don't really like as much...

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
They're just too over the top. Not in line with the fiction.
Valve have made some crazy things, but they contribute to the crazy world they built in TF2.
The things in this fake update just steal the show like an elephant in a small room.
Still, their existance and the fact some people believe they could be real is a testament to the quality of Valve's work, the value of humor and eccentricity and so on.