oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
oliveira8 said:
CoverYourHead said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
SirSchmoopy said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I thnk the major drawback to this gun would actually be the loud and relatively distinctive "BANG!". For a spy trying to conceal themself, its going to be distinctive enough that it'll alert the other players.
You like... Must not play this game. If you are at a point where you are fireing your pistol, it doesn't matter how loud your gun is and even if for some reason you still feel it does the current pistol is one of the loudest BANGS in the game already.

I'm going to want to see the damage this gun does before I decide how decent it is but right now I would assume you are trading DPS for burst and depending on how much it is will decide it's worth to me.
I'm taliking a really, really distinctive sound, on a level far above the shotgun. Considering its the spy, giving him heavy damage and brutal accuracy is just making his whole spy thing redundant. All other upgrades seem to practically help the classes main function, but this.....
That's what I was thinking. It seems like this might make the spy a wee bit too powerful.
Its not to be used like the minigun or flametrower. Most of the time you only going to get killed by it(after the first month of bumping into teams with 10 spies.) when you chasing an uncloacked spy or something.
Or, if the Spy is standing there with his disguise activated, lining up a headshot from the other room. Shoot, kill, cloak, disguise. Rinse and repeat to kill the other team without needing the knife, and pretty much vaulting the only real limitation on he Spy.
Wrong.

You have no Sniper zoom which makes sniping moving targets(apart from the Heavy) extremely hard to hit.

Unless you in a tunnel or a very narrow place you aint going to be sniping no one. Also a quick backstab will still be better it draws less attencion than the loud handgun. And! Imagine that you a spy and you try to shoot someone, you miss and cloak quickly, but someone notices you and ruins your cloak you have no getaway cause you just used your weapon and its still cooling off. Sure you might use the pocket watch but most likely to use it you going to have to lose the disguise kit or sapper and after the first week most players will do a quick spy check after they killed you.

You going to see plenty of ramboos during sometime, till they notice that The Ambassador is not a main gun.

Theres also the part that 2 out of 10 spies are actually good at it.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Shapsters said:
Gah! This PC only stuff is pissing me off! Sigh, just go back to mah Xbox :'(
You can say that again - valve Say they ARE gonna get around to bringing all the maps/class updates to xbox, but they wanna sort out he PC a little more, so hang in there! But yeah its pissing me off >.:( I mean, its a great game and all but they could hurry up with the updates!

Jul 9, 2008
I'm actually kind of glad I almost never played the copy of TF2 I own...I can go for my Pyro achievements now.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
oliveira8 said:
CoverYourHead said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
SirSchmoopy said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I thnk the major drawback to this gun would actually be the loud and relatively distinctive "BANG!". For a spy trying to conceal themself, its going to be distinctive enough that it'll alert the other players.
You like... Must not play this game. If you are at a point where you are fireing your pistol, it doesn't matter how loud your gun is and even if for some reason you still feel it does the current pistol is one of the loudest BANGS in the game already.

I'm going to want to see the damage this gun does before I decide how decent it is but right now I would assume you are trading DPS for burst and depending on how much it is will decide it's worth to me.
I'm taliking a really, really distinctive sound, on a level far above the shotgun. Considering its the spy, giving him heavy damage and brutal accuracy is just making his whole spy thing redundant. All other upgrades seem to practically help the classes main function, but this.....
That's what I was thinking. It seems like this might make the spy a wee bit too powerful.
Its not to be used like the minigun or flametrower. Most of the time you only going to get killed by it(after the first month of bumping into teams with 10 spies.) when you chasing an uncloacked spy or something.
Or, if the Spy is standing there with his disguise activated, lining up a headshot from the other room. Shoot, kill, cloak, disguise. Rinse and repeat to kill the other team without needing the knife, and pretty much vaulting the only real limitation on he Spy.
Wrong.

You have no Sniper zoom which makes sniping moving targets(apart from the Heavy) extremely hard to hit.

Unless you in a tunnel or a very narrow place you aint going to be sniping no one. Also a quick backstab will still be better it draws less attencion than the loud handgun. And! Imagine that you a spy and you try to shoot someone, you miss and cloak quickly, but someone notices you and ruins your cloak you have no getaway cause you just used your weapon and its still cooling off. Sure you might use the pocket watch but most likely to use it you going to have to lose the disguise kit or sapper and after the first week most players will do a quick spy check after they killed you.

You going to see plenty of ramboos during sometime, till they notice that The Ambassador is not a main gun.

Theres also the part that 2 out of 10 spies are actually good at it.

he only means theres a small cooldown between shots, not one where youd be waiting 10 minutes and fleeing. But im fine with the current spy pistol - About 2/5ths of my spy kills (and I get alot, seeing as its my fav class) Are from the pistol. the whole hitman approach is useless when you have more than one spy on your team, and the other one is shit and gets spotted all the time as a spy, so the enemy know theres a spy about and do spy checks on EVERYONE etc. At those times what you need is speed, knowing when to stealth and hoping your enemys on low health when you fire that revolver. Of course, when your enemy are noobs who have the sense of a nat you can basically mop the floor with them, cloaking and disguising all around their base and groups, taking them out one by one, in Very rapid and stealthy succession. THATS freaking fun ^^

ThatsBitch3n

Mar 25, 2009
I only have one BIG question...is the Sniper update coming with it? We haven't heard about it in a while, and from what i heard the update is scheduled for Thursday...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Ashbax said:
Yes and its not for the averaje Joe playing TF2. The Spy is the most complicated class to play in TF2, cause you have really really low killing count and a very very very high death count, when you pick it up. I gave up on the Spy after my third attempt, it takes to long to get any satisfaction and too much practice. :p

And I just want to shoot people. ^^

ThatsBitch3n said:
I only have one BIG question...is the Sniper update coming with it? We haven't heard about it in a while, and from what i heard the update is scheduled for Thursday...
It is, don't worry. Its the Spy/Sniper update. Tomorow the last sniper unlockable and achievements will be out.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Seems to be some confusion as to when a Spy would use his Revolver, no it's not your primary weapon, but it is by no means useless:

1: Can be used to snipe turrets outside their range. A few shots to kill the attending engineer and then on the sentry itself. Or alternatively, just kill the engy from afar, suit up and sap the sentry.

2: For destroying sapped sentries quicker. This is especially useful when you know that there's going to be another engy back in the area soon.

3: For general purpose sniping at medium range, a little more difficult, but useful when you've got a clear view of someone but aren't in a position to backstab. I.e. when you've got a Pyro trying to chase you down.

As for this new gun, seems pretty straightforward, a powered long range shot with a cooldown. Could be good, depending of course on the damage, i.e. will it be capable of taking out sentries in one or two shots or is it to be primarily an anti-person gun?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Dammit.

I hate Valve for doing this to me. First say that you're going to give us a sniper update; great! I can use it to send my spy skills through the roof!

But now a SPY update too?

I see a flood of spies coming. I suppose I'll work on getting the Backburner...

Terminu5

May 20, 2009
Seems like a warranted addition to the Spy's arsenal. Granted, the Spy excels in subterfuge and stealth, but there are situations in which a punchy six-shooter can seal a victory for a cornered Spy. It will be most intriguing to observe the unique kills that Spies will get with this baby.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I was reading the Steam forums, and somebody did some surprisingly solid math using in-game units and converted them to standard measurements. If the gun in the picture is the actual size, according to the arm/barrel ratio, the gun is .885 caliber. I'll repeat that...

The Ambassador fires bullets .885 inches wide.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
plastic_window said:
Next time you're on TF2, check the personal load-out for each class, there's a seperate slot for headgear now.

Will the hats make any significant difference to the game? Or will they just be for style? Either's fine by me.
Will do - in approx one month =P

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
This update is both a blessing and a curse. The sniper and spy are my two favorite classes (with demo as the third) and now I'll be unable to play either and be a bonus to my team.

It's great because I have TONS to do in TF2 now. It's terrible because I'll have to play more demo and less of my two favorites for a while.