Teen Kills Own Grandmother After Scolding - Update

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
The title is very misleading, completely so in fact. This is absurdly ignorant journalism, the same kind of thing that has caused genuine problems elsewhere.

"Teen kills grandmother after scolding" with DotA or whatever other game it could have been in this context as a distant point of interest.

EDIT: Honestly whatever this might or might not have to do with video games what annoys me the most is how the potential mental health issues or other social issues are completely ignored here. Can we blame a third party that can't defend itself/we're not responsible for? Yes we can! Lets blame that instead of addressing the potential social or mental issues that might be in play here, and while we're at it why don't we sensationalise the whole affair by reporting it exclusively from the video game angle

Allow me to posit a similar title.

[quote = Journalism]Man has brain aneurysm caused by reading terrible journalism

A 40 year old male has died of a brain aneurysm. Earlier that day he had read and commented on what he referred to as "ignorant journalism", clearly these two events are directly connected. Ignoring all other possible explanations, potential physical causes and any other vectors in investigation along with a sensationalist title is going to get us page views. Man I haven't had it this easy since I worked at FOX news.[/quote]

With all seriousness this is ridiculous, whether or not it attracts views I don't think the Escapist is going to do much to distinguish itself in the massive pack of similar sites by doing a copy-paste on 4 day old news with a deliberately sensationalised title.

QuicklyAcross

Mar 11, 2014
Why do these things relating to video games keep happening in the philippines?

Serious question and i know its a bit offtopic but, why philippines and in general asian countries?
I read something similar to this a few months ago about a chinese kid stabbing his mom to death after not being able to play League of Legends.

Why these countries, why these genres?

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010

What's this got to do with gaming? The report clearly says that he was picked up, went home, got a telling off and then flipped and went all Norman Bates on his nan. Nowhere is it even indicated that he went off on one because she interrupted his game.

Also the report on this site is almost word for word as it is in the source except for this little omission

"The aunt told police the boy was always scolded by his grandmother" Source [http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/metro-manila/03/09/14/teen-kills-grandma-interrupting-game]

When did the escapist turn into Fox News?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
WouldYouKindly said:
This is like a Fox News wet dream; Foreign teenager from a broken home kills grandma over videogames! They couldn't invent a better story to push their agenda.
Lets not forget that he's also not white. The only way that it could be a full house is if he was a Muslim.

Personally, I blame Obamacare. Or Putin.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
"It's a night to celebrate when nobody dies on your block."

That's an old saying about the Phillipines. No pie or punch for them tonight; it's horrible that this happened. Many people say it's because the police are too aggresive, some people say they're not aggresive enough, it's to do with money, with drugs...

Perhaps the worst thing about this is that it happened to someone who's probably never touched a video game for an extended period; which pretty mcuh everyone this generation and the one before has.

I also imagine that Fox News'll jump at this like a jaguar would a young child, and milk it for all it's worth.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Correct title for article should be.
"Mentally disturbed person murders grandmother."

trigger relevant only to psychologists and fearmongers.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Honestly I feel pretty bad for the boy. From what it sounds like he basically lost control of himself and couldn't do anything about it. I have a few relatives who have had the same thing happen to them (not the killing part, just the blackout followed by violence that they don't remember). I know that if I was the boy I would be devastated. It definitely seems like he feels guilty over this. It doesn't really excuse what he did but I can't help but feel bad for him.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I hope he is punished appropriately, there is no excuse killing your grandmother over something as stupid as DOTA2.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
A-D. said:
This is sensationalism at its finest. Its actually got nothing to do with Video games. The attack happened after he got home, where he doesnt have a computer to play since he played it at a computer shop in the neighborhood instead. So it didnt happen DURING the playing of the game, but after. If the interruption of said playtime was the trigger, it would have happened at the store or directly after, not when he got home and got scolded.

Which means the scolding was the trigger to it happening, we dont know what was said other than that scolding happened, it may as well have been about how he didnt brush his teeth. Its fair to assume he was pissed that he had to stop playing, but that doesnt mean he beat his Grandmother to death because of it.

Seriously stop trying to spin this into some gaming-related incident when games werent even part of the factors as it happened.
Pretty much sums up my feelings. This article is more to do with mental health disorders than video games.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
I mean, I guess if a murder takes a cup of coffee before going out and killing someone, it's obviously because of the cup of coffee.

It can barely even be connected at all this time around.

verindae

May 22, 2010
I gotta call bullshit on this headline too. You're not helping with the video game violence issue at all with sensationalist crap like that.

Suncatcher

May 11, 2011
Broken family, blacking out, turning himself in to the authorities after figuring out what happened... Sounds like genuine insanity to me. Damn tragic, but almost certainly unrelated to the game.

Edit: the house doesn't even have a computer in it, and this story is roughly 70% sensationalist bullshit. The kid needs help (and likely confinement, at least for a while), and the media needs to shut up about video games already.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Alex Co said:
JakobBloch said:
Philippines is a third-world country. Kids not having parents happens a lot. Also, grandma scolding him due to playing Dota is the most likely cause of his anger and blacking out.

nodlimax said:
See above. Regardless of what triggered it, kid has issues. He could have run off, find a job and lived by himself...killing someone should never be a resort.
"Most likely cause" doesn't mean it's a fact. We don't know, and the article should reflect that. We have shit thrown at our hobby a lot, making it seem like we are all just waiting to snap because we like playing video games, and you're not helping by writing sensationalist articles. At least own up to that.

Lilith

Mythical Zoan
Jul 9, 2012
In addition to this being only tenuously linked to video games, both uses of 'whom' in this article are incorrect. In each case, 'who' is correct.

I know this seems like a trivial and petty point but I still expect some minimal standard of journalism from the escapist; that includes the correct use of grammar and editing.

Suncatcher

May 11, 2011
deadish said:
You know, my grandma used to** drive me up the wall with her nagging. But to kill someone ... you have got to be a psychopath.
Psychopathy doesn't cause blackouts. A psychopath wouldn't stop in the middle of cleaning up, horrified, and go to the authorities, they would probably finish up and pretend nothing happened or start formulating a cover story. The kid's definitely crazy, maybe some sort of schizophrenia? There's not much info to go on here for specifics.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
A-D. said:
This is sensationalism at its finest. Its actually got nothing to do with Video games. The attack happened after he got home, where he doesnt have a computer to play since he played it at a computer shop in the neighborhood instead. So it didnt happen DURING the playing of the game, but after. If the interruption of said playtime was the trigger, it would have happened at the store or directly after, not when he got home and got scolded.
Unless confirmed by police reports that the minor was angry at his grandma for interrupting his dota game at 6pm, then yes this is sensationalist.
Just because the boy attacked at home doesn't mean he didn't do it because of the game.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
toms said:
Glaice said:
I hope he is punished appropriately, there is no excuse killing your grandmother over something as stupid as DOTA2.
It didn't say DOTA2 anywhere you assbutt, it's DOTA.
Also, as has been stated, it's pretty clear the kid was already messed up. And it didn't even say he killed her because of DOTA, maybe she refused to give him a cookie or something.
Is the numeral truly worth the namecalling?
Just saying.
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything.

OT:
This is indeed some sensationalist newswriting. There's hardly any information available so I'll not form an opinion about this as of yet.