Teenage Male Gamers No Longer Biggest Demographic

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
GamerMage said:
[ Is it wrong that that kind of excites me? (Not in the way you may think, I promise, the good way) Let them come. I'll happily welcome a fellow gamer. Whether you are a RPG gamer, a Platformer gamer, a Action-Adventure gamer, an FPS gamer or all the above,you are still a gamer.
Of course it's not wrong. The more the merrier, right?

I just found out that a girl at work likes the same kind of games that I like (well she doesn't really like Dark Souls but otherwise we're pretty in synch game-wise), and it's great to have a female friend who plays the same things.

As long as you're not joining the Nerd's Watch to try and keep out the filthy casual ladies (Fun how we're always assumed casual unless proven otherwise), then you're okay with me. ;)

I try and be positive about it. I know people will roll their eyes and groan `SJW` as if that makes them sound smart, but I'll just think positively. More ladies are playing games doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.

gmaverick019 said:
why for the love of god can I never find all these girls that love/like video games? Seriously it's like mentioning Voldemort around my parts, you say you enjoy playing video games and every girl empties the room like I just said I have cooties or something.
Eh, with the things involved in outing yourself as a female gamer, there have been times where I've just stayed in hiding. You've probably met someone into games who just didn't want to talk about it.

And to be honest, guys, (and I'd really like to know) how often do you ask women about games?

I've never been asked if I like games - I'm always the first to bring it up.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
chikusho said:
Savagezion said:
chikusho said:
And yet again people tries to shit over the stats instead of

1. realizing the actual significance,
Which is? Assume I am actually unable to see it. Indulge me.
For one, the exponential growth and diversity of the medium.
Mobile gaming is a separate market than console gaming. It's why phones aren't debuted at E3 and PAX. Same with mobile apps. E3 and PAX are aimed at the core gaming demographic, which is a different market. The mobile market requires you have a smartphone and can spend 0 dollars on games. Core gaming is a market that requires a $300-500 entry fee for a console. Then $20-60 per game. That is two totally different markets. Another market (mobile) has boomed in the last 5-10 years. Mobile and console markets did not both grow and diversify exactly the same. The mobile market was both born and exploded in that time. That is going to mess with the numbers of the study rendering this point moot.

As for the significance, "Yay! mobile gaming exists diversly and has boomed." Past that, what must I realize based off this study? Because it doesn't specify.

2. being supportive, welcoming and inclusive into this great hobby of ours.
Being supportive of what? Women gaming? Done. Of this study? No, it's misleading by pooling two very different markets and saying it is one market.
Misleading whom as to what, pray tell?
See above. You can't say mobile gaming is the same as console gaming considering one is virtually free and the other one has an entry fee of hundreds of dollars. This misrepresents the market if you lump those two demographics together.

This isn't a matter of keeping women out, it is merely pointing out that they haven't arrived the way this study claims they have. Many men in the same study are probably also strictly mobile gamers and don't play anything outside of apps meant to kill time. They don't count either.
And what is it they incorrectly claim again, you say? That women play games, but because some of them might not play your games it doesn't count?
You basically seem mad that at this study because it isn't another study . You can't fault research for not being other research.
Sorry, but I think you're mistaking me for Mr. Straw. Seems he's getting a lot of attention these days.

This thread was made as a counter argument to the claim that females are outnumbered in core gaming. (Consoles) Thus, financially, it makes sense that publishers are afraid to cater to a smaller market. This study (as a counter arguement) includes a separate market's demographics (mobile) to inflate the numbers but honestly just skews them to be irrelevant data. Most adults both men and women own phones nowadays and the price of entry to playing games on them is free. This makes that demographic HUGE, because everyone can afford free and anyone with a phone can call themselves a gamer. (2 years ago, Wal-Mart gave away iPhone 4's for free) However, more specifically they are a mobile gamer who downloads free games and spends time on them.

Comparatively a core (console) gamer has a much larger barrier of entry needing to spend hundreds of dollars on a console and games. It is very easy to see how these are 2 different markets. Free vs. hundres of dollars invested on gaming. Both are gamers but only one of them is a core gamer. Someone willing to pay $400 on your new console vs. someone willing to pay $5 on an app. This study does not prove that releasing a game for women at $60 for a $400 console is a good idea and going to get vast amounts of women lining up release night at Gamestop.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
xPixelatedx said:
I am really curious how different this statistic would be if you didn't lump all videogames into one catagory and just went by console market. I've played mobile games, they're neat distractions but they are entirely different beasts then what's happening on home entertainment centers and/or PCs.
In 2011 here was the split console 60/40 M/F and mobile 47/53 M/F http://www.statista.com/statistics/272327/mobile-social-and-traditional-gaming-users-by-gender/

The split for 2014 48/52 M/F http://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Wulfram77 said:
Teenage boys weren't the largest demographic before

Going by the linked stuff from ESA, and using a bit of maths, it's 36% adult women, 35% adult men, 17% under 18 boys, 12% under 18 girls.

And it mostly reflects that so many people play video games of some sort that it's not a very useful statistic. You can't target a product at 59% of the population.
Good point. This sample needs to be broken up into different genres. Video games as a whole is too broad.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Wulfram77 said:
Teenage boys weren't the largest demographic before

Going by the linked stuff from ESA, and using a bit of maths, it's 36% adult women, 35% adult men, 17% under 18 boys, 12% under 18 girls.

And it mostly reflects that so many people play video games of some sort that it's not a very useful statistic. You can't target a product at 59% of the population.
Good point. This sample needs to be broken up into different genres. Video games as a whole is too broad.

Sep 14, 2009
Phasmal said:
gmaverick019 said:
why for the love of god can I never find all these girls that love/like video games? Seriously it's like mentioning Voldemort around my parts, you say you enjoy playing video games and every girl empties the room like I just said I have cooties or something.
Eh, with the things involved in outing yourself as a female gamer, there have been times where I've just stayed in hiding. You've probably met someone into games who just didn't want to talk about it.

And to be honest, guys, (and I'd really like to know) how often do you ask women about games?

I've never been asked if I like games - I'm always the first to bring it up.
while I don't go around like this

looking for the ladies, anytime I do meet someone who is nice enough and we're striking up conversation, I'll mention it in passing OR I am typically sporting some type of game/character reference shirt. Seriously, I probably have 50 some shirts that all have remotely popular gaming stuff on them, so it's not like I'm "in the closet" about my gaming habits. I've met 5 girls through my new job in the past month and absolutely none of them bit at the mention of video games or anything related to that....

not to mention, they are engineers.....WHY AREN'T THEY NERDY DAMMIT. FAKE ENGINEER GIRLS, THE LOT OF EM'

(sarcasm on that last bit.)

I don't force gaming into conversations, but I do typically mention it at some point to see if the girl has any interest in it since it's a favorite hobby of mine, if they don't take on it then no big deal, and I typically switch back to sports or whatever is clicking at the moment.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
gmaverick019 said:

looking for the ladies, anytime I do meet someone who is nice enough and we're striking up conversation, I'll mention it in passing OR I am typically sporting some type of game/character reference shirt. Seriously, I probably have 50 some shirts that all have remotely popular gaming stuff on them, so it's not like I'm "in the closet" about my gaming habits. I've met 5 girls through my new job in the past month and absolutely none of them bit at the mention of video games or anything related to that....

not to mention, they are engineers.....WHY AREN'T THEY NERDY DAMMIT. FAKE ENGINEER GIRLS, THE LOT OF EM'

I don't force gaming into conversations, but I do typically mention it at some point to see if the girl has any interest in it since it's a favorite hobby of mine, if they don't take on it then no big deal, and I typically switch back to sports or whatever is clicking at the moment.
That's actually interesting to know.

I do actually wonder how much of this `I don't know any girl gamers` trend is due to guys not even asking. I only know nobody ever asked me.

But it does make me think, how common is liking games anyway amongst the general public? Going back to work, there's me, the girl I work with and one teenage boy who like games and that's pretty much it.

When I do meet a guy who likes video games, he usually just likes COD or FIFA. It's hard for me to meet other gamers in general.

I guess, while it's always good to drop it into conversations in real life, it's always going to be easier to find nerds online. I mean, we are generally an introverted people, safe in our blankies behind keyboards. ;)

EDIT: Also I wish I had a bunch of nerdy shirts! I only have like one DMC shirt and it's big man size because that's the only size it came in, I could live in it. I'm planning to buy more, but wondering if this is gonna lead to this sort of thing-

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Now imagine a triple A title that is targeted at both genders, and imagine the money it would make. The videogame industry needs to understand that.
The last of us targeted both they even had to insist their play testing firm test women gamers and the firm stated they didn't exist so TLOU demanded they include them and guess what? The game sold like crazy.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Savagezion said:
See above. You can't say mobile gaming is the same as console gaming considering one is virtually free and the other one has an entry fee of hundreds of dollars. This misrepresents the market if you lump those two demographics together.
Golf has an entry fee of thousands of dollars, and marathon running is virtually free. They are both sports.
Also, smartphones have been known to cost just as much as a console, so free is hardly the right term.

And what is it they incorrectly claim again, you say? That women play games, but because some of them might not play your games it doesn't count?
You basically seem mad that at this study because it isn't another study . You can't fault research for not being other research.
This thread was made as a counter argument to the claim that females are outnumbered in core gaming.
You responded to my post. My post was not an argument to the claim that females are outnumbered in core gaming.

(Consoles) Thus, financially, it makes sense that publishers are afraid to cater to a smaller market. This study (as a counter arguement) includes a separate market's demographics (mobile) to inflate the numbers but honestly just skews them to be irrelevant data. Most adults both men and women own phones nowadays and the price of entry to playing games on them is free. This makes that demographic HUGE, because everyone can afford free and anyone with a phone can call themselves a gamer. (2 years ago, Wal-Mart gave away iPhone 4's for free) However, more specifically they are a mobile gamer who downloads free games and spends time on them.
First, and I hope I don't actually need to point this out, the study is clearly named: Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry. I don't see a single claim about market demographics. No skewed number, you just seem bummed that they answered the question they sought to answer instead of the one you wanted an answer to.

Second, most adults both men and women own computers nowadays and the price of entry to playing games on them is free. There's next to infinite free games available for everyone, and with steam sales, origin giveaways and humble bundles you can get plenty of games for next to nothing. This makes that demographic HUGE, because everyon can afford free and anyone with a computer can call themselves a gamer.

And rightly so. Since they engage in the hobby of gaming through active use of gaming software. The single relevant criteria.

Comparatively a core (console) gamer has a much larger barrier of entry needing to spend hundreds of dollars on a console and games. It is very easy to see how these are 2 different markets. Free vs. hundres of dollars invested on gaming. Both are gamers but only one of them is a core gamer. Someone willing to pay $400 on your new console vs. someone willing to pay $5 on an app. This study does not prove that releasing a game for women at $60 for a $400 console is a good idea and going to get vast amounts of women lining up release night at Gamestop.
Well, the words "core gamer" aren't mentioned anywhere in the study. Also "core gamer" is a made up concept that has no clear definition, and people on forums only argue about for some ungodly reason... nerd cred, is that a thing?
Also, this study never claims that releasing a game for women at $60 for a $400 console is a good idea and going to get vast amounts of women lining up release night at Gamestop. Why would you even assume that it did?

Clearly I quoted the right person..

Johnny Novgorod said:
I think calling people gamers because they have a Smartphone is like calling them writers because they can also text with them, or photographers because they can take pictures of their cats with them. Mobile phones are the lowest common denominator of anything that isn't calling people with them. I don't think Smartphones are indicative of anything other than themselves.
First of all, you can write a novel on a phone just as well as with a pen and paper.
In fact, it even has its own literary genre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_phone_novel

Secondly, of course you're a photographer with a smartphone. The single relevant criteria is having a camera and using it to take pictures. And if you sell the pictures you take, well, then you are a professional photographer. Here's a guide with advice on how to be a smartphone photographer today, at the New York Institute of Photography: http://www.nyip.edu/photo-articles/archive/cell-phone-photography

This should be pretty straightforward.

Also, who the hell are you to judge what experience someone else has with their mobile phone and their mobile game?

And finally, even though you claim those things, somehow major professional gaming websites and gaming journalists both actively engage in and cover smartphone games just like they do with your "cool" stuff.
You are basically making a high-art vs low-art argument. Which is really silly, in my opinion.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
snowfi6916 said:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/female-adults-oust-teenage-boys-largest-gaming-demographic/

The schadenfreude here is so sweet. And I am glad there are going to be whiny male gamers crying into their soup over this.

The 21st century is here. Get on board or get out of the way.
No complaints here. My wife has finally gotten hooked on a game, and I never thought that would happen. She says Farmville 2 isnt a game (she is still in denial) but its still a game, regardless. The end result will be more understanding on her end as to why I love games so much.

However, your post comes across pretty heavy handed, and even guys that LIKE seeing more ladies playing games arent going to appreciate the post very much.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
weirdo8977 said:
xaszatm said:

I feel like I should paste this here so people get a better idea how the male/female demographic is split up.

Some Notes:

Football is soccer
Voitures is Racing
Cartes is Cards
Autres is Others

People say that females are only large because of social games but it actually is fairly evenly split. Sure, there is more groups that favor males over females but it isn't as big as people might think.
I dont know why this is but I find iy kinda surprising that they're more female rts players then male ones.
I believe the statistic is strategy not RTS. This includes many mobile games like Tiny Tower or pocket trains and other free to play mobile titles. Which makes sense considering the article directly attributes the rise of mobile gaming as a major factor in the increase in female gamers.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
chikusho said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think calling people gamers because they have a Smartphone is like calling them writers because they can also text with them, or photographers because they can take pictures of their cats with them. Mobile phones are the lowest common denominator of anything that isn't calling people with them. I don't think Smartphones are indicative of anything other than themselves.
You are basically making a high-art vs low-art argument. Which is really silly, in my opinion.
Hi and no I'm not. I'm saying that it's pointless to do a gamer statistic with mobile phones as common denominators (which the article is pretty specific about), seeing as everybody owns one. That's like doing a poll on how many people own a microwave and deducing how many chefs there are in the world based on that result.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Phasmal said:
gmaverick019 said:

I do actually wonder how much of this `I don't know any girl gamers` trend is due to guys not even asking. I only know nobody ever asked me.

But it does make me think, how common is liking games anyway amongst the general public? Going back to work, there's me, the girl I work with and one teenage boy who like games and that's pretty much it.

When I do meet a guy who likes video games, he usually just likes COD or FIFA. It's hard for me to meet other gamers in general.

I guess, while it's always good to drop it into conversations in real life, it's always going to be easier to find nerds online. I mean, we are generally an introverted people, safe in our blankies behind keyboards. ;)

EDIT: Also I wish I had a bunch of nerdy shirts! I only have like one DMC shirt and it's big man size because that's the only size it came in, I could live in it. I'm planning to buy more, but wondering if this is gonna lead to this sort of thing-

My wife wears gamer shirts all the time and it has never happened to her.

Frankly, I think that sort of behavior is vastly over reported, which is a shame because it creates a perception that any woman that tries to enter gamer culture will be harassed constantly for their gender. I think this is discouraging women from joining the community openly and perpetuating the perception that there are few female gamers.

Sep 14, 2009
Phasmal said:

leading back to the introvert bit, it is definitely a bit more difficult in public since we tend to "stick to our bubble" so we do probably pass more gamers than we think in real life.

I haven't dropped too many hints about my gaming habits at work yet since I'm trying to butter just about everyone up I can (being low guy on the totem pole and all, working my way up will be 10x faster if I'm on everyones good side) so I couldn't give a demographic there, but I'd say roughly ~33% of the people I know ACTIVELY game (as in, once every 2-3 weeks at least, not just diddle on your phone with flappy bird or solitaire when you're bored. Because let's face it, everyone with a computer at their job is going to do that.)

Swap out blankie for giant fan cooling me off and that is me in a nutshell. Until the day we have floating bubbles above our heads or we have terminator vision to display our interests to other people, I think all us introverts aren't gonna make much headway on the social aspect.

unfortunately there is a decent chance of that happening...and while it isn't the same, I have had people snicker or make wise cracks about some of my shirts, and I still have no problem wearing them when I'm out and about. Not gonna let a few off-base opinions change how awesome I feel having what I have.

also, these are a couple websites I use (the first one is random but it is a pretty decent deal and the shirts are pretty awesome that pop up, so pay attention to it daily if you can!)

http://www.qwertee.com/

http://www.superherostuff.com

squee away!

edit: this one is good too

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/trending+t-shirts?ref=more-trending-header

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
chikusho said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hi and no I'm not. I'm saying that it's pointless to do a gamer statistic with mobile phones as common denominators (which the article is pretty specific about), seeing as everybody owns one. That's like doing a poll on how many people own a microwave and deducing how many chefs there are in the world based on that result.
A lot of people own smart phones, yes. Far from everyone uses it for game purposes.
This study counts people who own smart phones and tablets and other devices which they use for gaming.
It's more like polling people who have cooking utensils and use it to cook Spanish food.

Btw, I like how in all your examples gamers are equals to master professionals and skilled artists. Kind of a weird parallel for engaging in a pastime, don't you think?

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
chikusho said:
Savagezion said:
Golf has an entry fee of thousands of dollars, and marathon running is virtually free. They are both sports.
Also, smartphones have been known to cost just as much as a console, so free is hardly the right term.
Yeah but they are DIFFERENT SPORTS. If you like golf it doesn't mean you like marathons or any other sport BUT golf.

I also mentioned the fact that a phone is is a valuable tool for daily life. A smartphone is GPS, texting, phone, camera, internet access, and video recorder you can carry in your pocket. That is a tool that will not only help you get a job easier but is often necessary to maintain one today. A console lets you play games and it isn't mobile or near as useful in every day life.

You can walk into a cellular shop and walk out with a phone with no money down today. I know about phones and phone plans.

This thread was made as a counter argument to the claim that females are outnumbered in core gaming.
You responded to my post. My post was not an argument to the claim that females are outnumbered in core gaming.
The original post was. (This thread was made as a...) This whole discussion is a thread.

(Consoles) Thus, financially, it makes sense that publishers are afraid to cater to a smaller market. This study (as a counter arguement) includes a separate market's demographics (mobile) to inflate the numbers but honestly just skews them to be irrelevant data. Most adults both men and women own phones nowadays and the price of entry to playing games on them is free. This makes that demographic HUGE, because everyone can afford free and anyone with a phone can call themselves a gamer. (2 years ago, Wal-Mart gave away iPhone 4's for free) However, more specifically they are a mobile gamer who downloads free games and spends time on them.
First, and I hope I don't actually need to point this out, the study is clearly named: Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry. I don't see a single claim about market demographics. No skewed number, you just seem bummed that they answered the question they sought to answer instead of the one you wanted an answer to.
Really? You, yourself, bolded industry. (That means all markets. Of gaming specifically in this case) Who do you think the industry sells its stuff to? I honestly don't think I can paint a clearer picture.

Second, most adults both men and women own computers nowadays and the price of entry to playing games on them is free. There's next to infinite free games available for everyone, and with steam sales, origin giveaways and humble bundles you can get plenty of games for next to nothing. This makes that demographic HUGE, because everyon can afford free and anyone with a computer can call themselves a gamer.

And rightly so. Since they engage in the hobby of gaming through active use of gaming software. The single relevant criteria.
Quote me anywhere where I said PC gaming is part of the core audience. I excluded them too because... well, look at that the PC is also a multi-functional device that most people have access to and offers cheap games nowadays. I believe that was the same criteria I excluded mobile for, correct? It's is a dodgy platform to try and include because many people have PCs and play games like Solitaire, or Zuma or whatever other $5 game they bought in a slip cover at wal-mart.

The core market for gaming is in consoles. That is where AAA games are aimed and that is where games see the largest mark up in price. That is where all media around gaming is focused. Look at all the threads on this site right now geared at Xbone, PS4, and Wii-U. Now look at all the ones that talk about games on consoles. Now look at all the ones that are strictly about PC and mobile. They are considerably less. The core audience in gaming is on consoles. Seriously at this point I just think you are just being stubborn for the sake of it.

Well, the words "core gamer" aren't mentioned anywhere in the study. Also "core gamer" is a made up concept that has no clear definition, and people on forums only argue about for some ungodly reason... nerd cred, is that a thing?
Also, this study never claims that releasing a game for women at $60 for a $400 console is a good idea and going to get vast amounts of women lining up release night at Gamestop. Why would you even assume that it did?

Clearly I quoted the right person..
Crap you don't even know the difference between hardcore gamer and core gamer. The fact that the study doesn't take core gamers into account is my point... not sure why you think it would mention them. That would be like the study acknowledging their failure to acknowledge something. This study is just saying "Hey, more women have started playing games in general" They aren't studying very deep, which is my point. I am guessing you have been away from the forums for a while or something because this whole discussion we are having in this thread is concerning a whole other discussion. This is like a sub-discussion of a much larger discussion concerning female representation in games. It's like a mini-debate for the big debate that is currently going on. Unless you already know that and are playing like you don't.

This should be pretty straightforward.
I agree. I bet everyone else in the thread can follow the points being made concerning core gamers and mobile gamers.

Also, who the hell are you to judge what experience someone else has with their mobile phone and their mobile game?
Who says anyone is judging? We're just saying "they aren't the same and here is why". Mobile games are much smaller in size, low budget, and often rely on micro-transactions as the primary source of income. Consoles games are 40+ GBs in size, cost over 40m per game, and have a suggested retail price usually at $60. That is a fact. Due to the large disparity in pricing, this means they target different markets due to disposable income automatically.

In a nut shell, the argument is a mobile gamer does not necessarily own a console or have any interest in one. Because of this, this study is not a good source to use to say publishers should make more console games for women as the data provided is inconclusive.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
unfortunately there is a decent chance of that happening...and while it isn't the same, I have had people snicker or make wise cracks about some of my shirts, and I still have no problem wearing them when I'm out and about. Not gonna let a few off-base opinions change how awesome I feel having what I have.

also, these are a couple websites I use (the first one is random but it is a pretty decent deal and the shirts are pretty awesome that pop up, so pay attention to it daily if you can!)

squee away!

I knew about the other two but I haven't seen superherostuff before, thanks. Now you've got me scrolling through redbubble and sighing about my lack of money!
DrOswald said:

Frankly, I think that sort of behavior is vastly over reported, which is a shame because it creates a perception that any woman that tries to enter gamer culture will be harassed constantly for their gender. I think this is discouraging women from joining the community openly and perpetuating the perception that there are few female gamers.
Eh, it's happened to me. Not for wearing a shirt. Just... standing too close to video games.
Personally I don't think you can over report it, talk about it forever and laugh about how stupid it is, then maybe people will stop doing it.

Anyways, I'm a bit older now and with more confidence (and less fucks to give) so I am sure when I get some money I'll be T-shirting it up with the best of them.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Phasmal said:
gmaverick019 said:

squee away!

I knew about the other two but I haven't seen superherostuff before, thanks. Now you've got me scrolling through redbubble and sighing about my lack of money!
DrOswald said:

Eh, it's happened to me. Not for wearing a shirt. Just... standing too close to video games.
Well that seriously sucks. Sorry if I sounded like I was minimizing your bad experience.