Teens Prefer Console Games

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
teebeeohh said:
Beautiful End said:
I can understand that. I'm not a teen but I prefer consoles for budget reasons. Having a PC might be better for a plethora of reasons but they just require you to be computer savvy and a lot of money to buy top notch equipment.
Not only that but your computer turns obsolete after a couple of years. Yeah, a console does too but I'd rather spend, I don't know, 400 bucks on a console and be done with it than spend over $1000 on a console that requires a lot more maintenance.
just out of curiosity do you sell all your games again to buy used games?
because if not the fact that new PC games are cheaper means you will most likely end up paying less, assuming you buy a lot of games(since your 1000$ hardware budget will last you through an entire generation of consoles).
i never got the price argument, sure the initial investment is higher and setting the whole thing up takes longer but if you buy a lot of games that evens out after the few years. and that's not even considering picking up games during steam sales.
No, I like to keep my games, except if they really suck. If that's the case, I'll dispose of them almost immediately.
But at the same time, I don't buy that many games anymore. I'd say I buy...around 5 per year? And that's only when stores have that Buy 2, get 1 free promotion. I rarely have time to play so it evens out.
Also, I can rent any new release game for free for 4 days. So I see what you're trying to say. it makes sense. But in my case, a console is more affordable.

ben-

Jan 17, 2012
Maybe its because im OLD school, but I still lend and trade my console games with friends when I can, I even take games my friends dont have to their house to play 2 player. On my PC I play games with my friends typically online, I have a couple computers at my house and will have friends over to do some lan play, but nothing like it was 10 years ago.

I personally prefer sitting in the same room/ house with friends playing because you get more interaction than just a voice.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I like console games better I suppose. The Pokemon franchise is my favourite one.

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
Of course gamers are supporting AAA games. As much as the internet likes to vocalize the stale progress of innovation from the big developers and publishers, even less can be found in the social gaming space.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
TheKasp said:
chadachada123 said:
...What do you mean? The vast majority of release dates are decided by the publisher. You'd get the exact same thing with digital downloads if the publisher wanted (and has done, at least in respect to DLC).
Actually, the difference in release dates is an old pre-internet growth bullshit created by differences in US and Europe based on spending habits. In Us the assumption is that people get their paychecks on tuesdays and thus have more money in the pocket and are more willing to spend it (so new games release on tuesdays) while in Europe they somehow deduced that the spending is most frequent on Fridays (as in "I need something to do for the weekend, why not go out and buy a game on the way home).

In this case the people who are the middleman actually had the most influence (as in: retailers). The retailer actually do hold a lot of power over the publishers (stoopid reliance) and so DD has to suck up to (guess how happy GS would be if we Europeans would be able to get Dishonored and XCom on Steam since yesterday while everyone who wants a physical copy has to wait until friday?).

And the final question: If the publisher really had the total freedom to choose between a worldwide launch or regional launch where the piracy rate outside of the first reagon skyrockets (Dishonored already has a cracked XBox version and of course PC version, XCom as well. If I would not have any kind of standards I could be playing those by now) which one would they prefer?

So yes, I have to wait 3-4 days for Dishonored, XCom and both Pokemon games because publishers don't want to piss off ShitStop and other highstreet retailer.

Oh, not only that. But I also am allowed to enjoy watching a popup every now and then disclaiming that my buddy is playing Dishonored now. Or XCom...
Huh, fair enough.

I still prefer discs/cartridges for non-PC playing, but damn, I've rarely admitted this: I was told in respect to retail sales. I never knew or thought about it. I'm...I'm never wrong. I need to think about this.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Entitled said:
Covarr said:
Not only that but your computer turns obsolete after a couple of years. Yeah, a console does too but I'd rather spend, I don't know, 400 bucks on a console and be done with it than spend over $1000 on a console that requires a lot more maintenance.
I had the same PC for six years, and it used to cost me $300. It still playes almost everything, though sometimes I have to tone down the graphics settings until they look almost as ugly as on a console.

On topic: It figures. Teenagers are dumb, and AAA games are dumb too.
How on earth did my name end up on that quote? I didn't say that, that was Beautiful End.

P.S. Thanks

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010

:D

I'm not surprised the social gaming bubble is leaking a bit.

I kinda wondered if people who were introduced to gaming via social games would go on to seek out AAA gaming platforms or whatever else you consider more intensive than social gaming.

Apparently they did, or lost interest entirely.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
chadachada123 said:
TheKasp said:
chadachada123 said:
That...That IS the most gloomy part of the article, though!

Over 50% of teens are perfectly alright with trusting Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony with their games as opposed to the classic disc or cartridge model that lets you loan it to friends (or sell it to others). And that's a damn shame.
To be honest, better than rely on shitty stores that find it perfectly OK to dictate differences in release dates across the world (a little pissed that 4 games I'm getting this week are already out in the US since tuesday and I have to wat up to the weekend in 2 cases and friday the others).
...What do you mean? The vast majority of release dates are decided by the publisher. You'd get the exact same thing with digital downloads if the publisher wanted (and has done, at least in respect to DLC).
Not true. Retail outlets are the ones who set dates for release in most instances. They strong-arm publishers into choosing a date that suits them or they don't carry the game. That's why different regions have different release dates. TB has gone over this a few times in his Mailboxes, I believe.

As far as the article goes, as a teenager (18) I've found myself spending less and less time on my consoles and spending way more time playing on my PC. But whatever.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
laserwulf said:
So, to summarize:
Teenage boys prefer high-quality games with meaningful choices over cartoony 'Skinner boxes'.

-Never- would've guessed. :|
Call of Duty has choice and meaning? It's just a very pretty skinner box.

I'd play more Facebook games if they weren't almost all crap. I've been gaming for around 24 years, and the only FB games I somewhat enjoy are Tetris Battle, You Don't Know Jack and Risk: Factions, all of which are based on full PC/console games. Once I realized that 'Ville games and the like have no negative consequences, and therefore have no challenge, choices became meaningless. I enjoy SimCity, but in the FB version a terribly planned city will function just as well as a meticulously tweaked one, just not grow as fast. Why -not- put an elementary school next to a prison? FB-Sims don't care!

Also, what the hell are digital downloads? Unless you have a device that transfers audio from radio stations onto a vinyl record, there's only one kind of download.
I have a device that transfers radio frequency signals onto a needle and paper, so I guess that might be considered an analog download.

I have no idea why they phrase digital download is written that way. It is just a download.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
chadachada123 said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Of course, it's not all doom and gloom. 53.3% of teens have stated that they're ready to embrace digital downloads on their consoles of choice, which means that many younger gamers feel less dependent on the traditional brick-and-mortar retail system.
That...That IS the most gloomy part of the article, though!

Over 50% of teens are perfectly alright with trusting Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony with their games as opposed to the classic disc or cartridge model that lets you loan it to friends (or sell it to others). And that's a damn shame.
Unfortunately, ignorant consumers are abound.

TheKasp said:
To be honest, better than rely on shitty stores that find it perfectly OK to dictate differences in release dates across the world (a little pissed that 4 games I'm getting this week are already out in the US since tuesday and I have to wat up to the weekend in 2 cases and friday the others).
Well first off, it's not the stores that dictate release dates. More importantly, though, hasn't this happened with digital games as well? I'm pretty sure it's becoming more common, so you're basically putting off the problem at best. And adding in new region locking procedures.

So...Ummm...Yay?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Not true. Retail outlets are the ones who set dates for release in most instances. They strong-arm publishers into choosing a date that suits them or they don't carry the game. That's why different regions have different release dates. TB has gone over this a few times in his Mailboxes, I believe.

As far as the article goes, as a teenager (18) I've found myself spending less and less time on my consoles and spending way more time playing on my PC. But whatever.
I guess that's called growing up?

Haha seriously though, I grew up on consoles through the first 3 gens but once I graduated high school and got my very first own PC (with help from a more tech savvy friend) I switched primarily to PC gaming. Only kept a PS2 around and later a Wii for JRPG's and Mario/Zelda/Metroid.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well first off, it's not the stores that dictate release dates. More importantly, though, hasn't this happened with digital games as well? I'm pretty sure it's becoming more common, so you're basically putting off the problem at best. And adding in new region locking procedures. So...Ummm...Yay?
As I previously posted:

SL33TBL1ND said:
Basically, publishers give retail outlets a specific date which they can't sell before. What usually happens, though, is that retail outlets hold onto them until their designated "new-release" day. In the UK that's on a Friday usually and in the US it's usually a Tuesday. These retailers then tell publishers to restrict digital downloads to their dates for their respective region, or they refuse to sell the games.

As retail becomes less relevant, this practice will probably die out because publishers don't have to deal with retailers.

Dark wolverine said:
If there wasn't consoles, I would never have gotten into gaming. I still wouldn't play games if they only came on computer.

Computers only seem to have the most boring games around.

I don't care how popular games on computers are; RTS's have nothing compelling or relate-able, MMO's are doing 3 un-involving things over and over (by CLICKING, cause honestly what could be more engaging/stimulating than that?) and shooters are only doing ONE thing over and over.

Thank Christ somebody came up with the idea to make computers just for games and truly exploring what can be done with the ingenuity of the human mind
Because multi-platform games don't exist, amiright?

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
I'm sorry but. Isn't it obvious why? most teenagers can't afford a massive gaming rig so they get a console instead.

I'm baffled that this is an article because I would of thought this to be common sense.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
In other news, the sky is blue.
Ok serious now, I am 17 years of age (a teen basically), and yes I do prefer console gaming. Thats not to say it doesn't have its problems. Especially since this industry strives off milking my blind angst driven counterparts with things like AAA multiplayer, online passes, and DLC. So yeah my generations fault I guess. Just felt like putting my input, overall this article was a tad bit obvious and unnecessary.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
You can only wring money out of knock-offs of Farmville for so long before people start wising up. That's not to say that all social games are this way; I've heard good things about the design of Echo Bazaar, but as I understand, for the most part my point stands for a very large share of the social games market.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TheKasp said:
chadachada123 said:
Actually, the difference in release dates is an old pre-internet growth bullshit created by differences in US and Europe based on spending habits. In Us the assumption is that people get their paychecks on tuesdays and thus have more money in the pocket and are more willing to spend it (so new games release on tuesdays) while in Europe they somehow deduced that the spending is most frequent on Fridays (as in "I need something to do for the weekend, why not go out and buy a game on the way home).

In this case the people who are the middleman actually had the most influence (as in: retailers). The retailer actually do hold a lot of power over the publishers (stoopid reliance) and so DD has to suck up to (guess how happy GS would be if we Europeans would be able to get Dishonored and XCom on Steam since yesterday while everyone who wants a physical copy has to wait until friday?).

And the final question: If the publisher really had the total freedom to choose between a worldwide launch or regional launch where the piracy rate outside of the first reagon skyrockets (Dishonored already has a cracked XBox version and of course PC version, XCom as well. If I would not have any kind of standards I could be playing those by now) which one would they prefer?

So yes, I have to wait 3-4 days for Dishonored, XCom and both Pokemon games because publishers don't want to piss off ShitStop and other highstreet retailer.

Oh, not only that. But I also am allowed to enjoy watching a popup every now and then disclaiming that my buddy is playing Dishonored now. Or XCom...
Sir, i applaud you, well said indeed.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Like puberty, it's a phase and it will pass. This summer, I saw what a computer can do with Fall Of Cybertron and compared it to my PS3. For something built for a single function, PS3 didn't deliver nearly as much as a computer did when it came to frames per second. Pull something like that in front of a teen, he will think twice before spending another 60 bucks on a console game.

The only other drawback they could come up with is lack of a controller but MS has us covered so...

Like a said, a phase.