Teens Prefer Console Games

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
Covarr said:
Misleading article title. The study shows that they prefer AAA games, not console games. Huge difference. Plenty of AAA games are on PC, and plenty of social games are on consoles. Angry Birds Trilogy, anyone?

P.S. Thanks
This right here. WHY do people forget so quickly to include the PC when talking about AAA games? Sheesh.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Doesn't it boil down to cost at the end of the day.

My younger brother is a massive gamer, but he can't afford a gaming PC, so he plays on console, because all his friends who like gaming also can't afford a gaming PC. I'm betting MOST teenagers would rather have a kick-ass PC, they'd rather play DayZ and Minecraft and Diablo3, WOW, all those cool indi games that they can get for PC for pennies rather than paying 1200 M$ points every fricken time :D.
I know about 2 dozen people here will be ready on the keyboard with ''But you can buy a gaming PC for less than a console and blahdeblahde NO. To get a gaming PC that can cope with the new AAA games, you need to spend what you would on a console, on the graphics card alone. Spend an extra £50 on the graphics card, it'll last an extra 2 years before you need to upgrade again. It's no good doing it on the cheap, a cheap gaming PC is a contradiction. Teenagers are not satisfied by mid range gaming hardware, they aren't as forgiving as we had to be.

PC gamers are getting the games they actually want, console gamers are getting the games that publishers deem profitable.
For me, about 18 months ago I'd play Skyrim on the 360 pretty much ignoring the PC - nowadays, I don't even remember the last time I played the 360, or the Wii, or the PS3... I have played some LBP on the Vita, but that's different. The PC is my primary gaming platform for a change, and it's because of the PC-only games that I want to play, and maybe in part it's due to the relatively limited implimentation of Minecraft on the 360... I mean come on Mojang - if you guys cared 1 ounce about that port you'd hire people to do it in-house, not just pass it onto someone else.

Times they are a changing - a lot of the same gamers who suckled Halo3's teet have moved on - not everyone really even cares much about Halo4, not when there are so many enticing FPS games on their way or here... Borderlands2, Farcry3, Descension, WarZ etc etc etc. With M$ trying to ban Halo videos - well that's just another nail in the coffin for MrChief IMO. Bring the guy back from the 'supposed' death, then give him aids, that's what M$ has done. Are they trying to break the 360 market apart so it's easier to adapt to the 720 I wonder... like Halo4 on the 360 will be flawed, but Halo5 on the 720 will be the future of FPS gaming I bet, and they lift the youtube embargo, and show HankerChief's derpy face for once. I'm sure they pulled the same shit with Halo2. Now I know Halo2 was great, but isn't it strange how we go from wide open warfare in CE, down to pretty much cover based action in Halo2. As if to say, hey - if you want the big, wide open warfare, you need a 360... Ohh look at Halo3 with it's wide open warfare again, the 360 must be 3 or 4 miles better than the Xbox.

Phew - sorry for such a long, rambling post - just killing time until lunch :D.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
....25.3% of teenage gamers, but now interest only 17.4% of them - roughly an 8% decline....

No, that's a 33% decline. Ouch!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well that's just shocking, people would still rather play something with a bit of meat than some 5-minute time wasters. Next they'll be telling us people prefer novels to chlamydia leaflets.

Dark wolverine said:
If there wasn't consoles, I would never have gotten into gaming. I still wouldn't play games if they only came on computer.

Computers only seem to have the most boring games around.

I don't care how popular games on computers are; RTS's have nothing compelling or relate-able, MMO's are doing 3 un-involving things over and over (by CLICKING, cause honestly what could be more engaging/stimulating than that?) and shooters are only doing ONE thing over and over.

Thank Christ somebody came up with the idea to make computers just for games and truly exploring what can be done with the ingenuity of the human mind
Uh... prepare to have your mind broken: http://store.steampowered.com/

surg3n said:
Did you read the OP? It was about console games versus iOS and FB stuff. Or rather, AAA titles versus social stuff, I guess, since the title does seem to have mislead an awful lot of people.

UrieHusky said:
I'm sorry but. Isn't it obvious why? most teenagers can't afford a massive gaming rig so they get a console instead.

I'm baffled that this is an article because I would of thought this to be common sense.
See above.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
chadachada123 said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Of course, it's not all doom and gloom. 53.3% of teens have stated that they're ready to embrace digital downloads on their consoles of choice, which means that many younger gamers feel less dependent on the traditional brick-and-mortar retail system.
That...That IS the most gloomy part of the article, though!

Over 50% of teens are perfectly alright with trusting Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony with their games as opposed to the classic disc or cartridge model that lets you loan it to friends (or sell it to others). And that's a damn shame.
Gamestop is like a graveyard around here, and I'm in a major city. It's like Toys R' Us gaming section used to be - grammar schoolers and elderly folks. I don't think there were any customers between the ages of 12 and 40 last time I went. And they didn't have either of the PSP titles I wanted (they didn't even try to hawk the used versions!)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
Retail outlets are the ones who set dates for release in most instances. They strong-arm publishers into choosing a date that suits them or they don't carry the game.
Ah, so conspiracy theories. My bad.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I never knew before how many people on here only read the headline of the article before responding.

It's not console vs PC, guys. Just a misleading title.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Retail outlets are the ones who set dates for release in most instances. They strong-arm publishers into choosing a date that suits them or they don't carry the game.
Ah, so conspiracy theories. My bad.
No need to be a dick. That's how it works, and has worked for a while.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheKasp said:
The difference in release dates exists actually because publishers don't want to make the high street retailers unhappy who want to have games released in certain areas on certain days in the week based on spending habits.
Yes yes, conspiracy theories....

Just ask you this: By now Dishonored is botch cracked for XBox and PC (since tuesday actually) and since yesterday there is a working language patch for both. There are certain a large number of people who would have been willing to spend money on tuesday to get the game but now won't because waiting 3 extra days while watching some friends of you already enjoying it (be it because they pirated it or because, like in my case, they have friends in the US).
So why would a publisher accept increased piracy numbers (because this connection can be easily made) by having such a giant gap if it was not for the biggerst influence on them that are the high street retailers?
There will always be pre-release cracks, even before the first official drop date, and there will always be people in large numbers who use the "can't wait" excuse. Trying to link that to "high street" is inane.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
No need to call names. You're flatly asserting a conspiracy theory, and trying to back it up with sweeping terms. Saying it's a conspiracy theory is not being a dick, it's pointing out that your logic is "because ponies."

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning that social games are made for commuters, housewives, and people with boring office jobs. Just quick little bits of interaction and feedback in between the dull routines and responsibilities of adult life. It's not surprising teens would avoid those like the plague. Adolescents also tend to have the free time to spend 3-6 hours a night gaming at home. Meanwhile, I picked up Dishonored on Tuesday and have managed to play maybe 2 hours of it.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
But.. PC gaming is a lot cheaper, it just requires a slightly bigger initial investment.

Fuck, compared to say, the release price of the PS3, add a 100-200 bucks and you'd have a perfectly decent mid-high range PC capable of running pretty much anything on the market.

And after that you'll be saving assloads of money on games.

And that's not even getting into free-to-play stuff.

Hell, almost all people have a PC, if you added the price of a console to that a a low-range PC, you'd literally not be spending a cent more.

Teenagers prefer consoles because teenagers are largely incapable of foresight, common sense and using basic math.
The thing is, I would imagine it would be easier to beg your parents for a 200 odd dollar Xbox for christmas and then beg for a 60 dollar game or whatever they are every other week.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
No need to call names. You're flatly asserting a conspiracy theory, and trying to back it up with sweeping terms. Saying it's a conspiracy theory is not being a dick, it's pointing out that your logic is "because ponies."
Maybe if you'd read the entirety of my post instead of cutting it to those two lines you'd realise you're wrong. I cited TB, who is not only a well respected game journo, but also worked in games retail.