Telltale Needs Help Developing Back to the Future Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Telltale Needs Help Developing Back to the Future Games

Telltale Games wants your opinion on the best parts of Back to the Future so it knows what to put in its upcoming videogame series based on the movies.

Telltale Games blog post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101236-New-Back-to-the-Future-Games-Appear-With-Flame-Trails] encourages interested gamers to complete a survey that will help the developer determine the proper direction to take.

Who can blame them? Trying to figure out exactly what to do with the beloved movie trilogy must be fairly tough, not to mention that the last Back to the Future film was released 20 years ago. When time travel is involved, Telltale could really go anywhere and do anything.

The survey asks respondents what era from the films they find most interesting, from 1885 to 2015, and which decade they'd like to see as a setting for the Back to the Future games, from the 1920s onward. It goes on to ask about which characters players would like to control, who they'd like to encounter, and what the key elements of Back to the Future are.

The most interesting part is when the survey gives four gameplay concepts and asks you to rank them, such as the following:

November 5th, 2010. Working together, Teen Marty, Doc, and Present Day Marty finally corner the man who made off with Doc's Time Train. While they argue about what to do with the well-intentioned time-hopper, a scary black vehicle appears out of nowhere. A familiar bulky presence steps out and confronts them. 'Detective Tannen, Temporal Preservation Squadron.' I'm afraid you're all under arrest.'

This could be a hint towards what we'll be seeing in Telltale's final product. On a side note, the survey begins by asking what popular movie series respondents have seen, making me wonder if Telltale has plans to take on more than Back to the Future and the Ghostbusters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101210-Sam-Max-Team-Tackles-Jurassic-Park]. Any of these would be fun to see as an adventure series, so lets hope that's what the question was posed for.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
At first I thought "A Back to the Future game. What?" But then again...a point and click game by Telltale? They've certainly proved themselves in that genre, and Back to the Future is certainly a good license for it. Interesting.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I have the upmost faith in TellTale. Their games carry that LucasArts flair that they had back when LucasArts made adventure games. In other words, those developers have only perfected their craft over the years.

I want to see a new Maniac Mansion...

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I'd love a big RPG set in the Harry Potter world. Not anything to do with Harry himself, just in that Universe.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
I don't know which are wore: Movies from Games or Games from Movies

I hope this doesn't suck.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
This game just needs one thing(Okay maybe more), get the original actors to do the voice work! Seriously. I'll send money if it helps!(Not really but...)

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
cairocat said:
I don't know which are wore: Movies from Games or Games from Movies

I hope this doesn't suck.
They can preserve the character of both Sam and Max AND Monkey Island. They know how to be faithful to a mood.

And for the record, I am really happy that they're asking for help instead of going, "Uh... I guess they might like this!" and going the wrong direction from the get-go.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
My opinion might not be relevant, but I just filled out the survey anyway.

I just hope there's going to be plenty of puzzly time-travel humor and that the time traveling itself is capable of following some sort of logic... unlike BttF2.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
November 5th, 2010. Working together, Teen Marty, Doc, and Present Day Marty finally corner the man who made off with Doc's Time Train. While they argue about what to do with the well-intentioned time-hopper, a scary black vehicle appears out of nowhere. A familiar bulky presence steps out and confronts them. 'Detective Tannen, Temporal Preservation Squadron.' I'm afraid you're all under arrest.'
Oh God, what a HORRIBLE concept. Does Telltale even care about the various flaws with this scenario?!?

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
Put... NOTHING. Please don't let them make this game! I love Back to the Future as anyone on this forum, but why does it need a game?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
SCREW POINT AND CLICK gimme Lego Back to the Future, Jurassic Park. Ghostbusters and LOTR :D

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
squid5580 said:
SCREW POINT AND CLICK gimme Lego Back to the Future, Jurassic Park. Ghostbusters and LOTR :D
Actually that doesn't sound that bad; a collection of Universal movies in Lego format, LEGO UNIVERSAL!

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
At first I thought "A Back to the Future game. What?" But then again...a point and click game by Telltale? They've certainly proved themselves in that genre, and Back to the Future is certainly a good license for it. Interesting.
I'll probably at least look at it. Me and telltale have a problem after they released a demo for some episode involving pirates. Idk, but it was the worst game i've ver played. It might have been just me. But i think they are a good example of workable games being over-loved by fanboys.

OT:
My idea about the other movies in the thing is that they might be looking at possible jokes, ideas to incorporate, etc. who knows, maybe they're just playing with you guys who will actually buy the games.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
Interesting point, we've past the date they went to in the future now. Where's my flying car?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Please Telltale, make this work. I've wanted a good Back to the Future game for a long time now.

Don't do this again. We need something amazing so we can say "the last Back to the Future game isn't the worst ever made you know".