Telltale Plans to Release The Walking Dead Season Two This Year

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
maninahat said:
OniaPL said:
Eh, maybe I'm pessimistic but seems a bit too soon for me. I'm not sure if they can keep the same level of quality.
Agreed. I think the first season has already set an unreachable standard, and I don't expect the writers will be able to reproduce a story anywhere near as personal or captivating whilst within the same old setting. The sequel will probably be, at best, a nice try.

To use a somewhat vague comparison, COD4 contains excellent twists on what was, at the time, the stagnant, insipid FPS. But what happened was that we immediately got wise to wham moments and dead protagonists from that point after, and most other shooters couldn't even use the same story techniques without boring and annoying the audience. Basically, it only works once, and yet writers are always tempted to think "well if they liked it the first time, they just want the same thing again!"

For Walking Dead to have a similar emotional impact, its going to have to do something completely different, right down to the tone and atmosphere. That probably means having a lighter situation, and a vastly different central relationship between characters. I suspect that might mean... a bromance! (or more likely, the female equivalent).
Also my feelings. It will be hell hard to reproduce that experience.

Maybe they should try a different direction and give a certain character vampiric superpowers and the time stop ability and she would go "MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA!" on the zombies.

Joking aside, in the chance that they succeed in making a good sequel, I think it would be cool to play a female character this time.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
If you told me at the beginning of last year that my most anticipated game series of 2013 and my GOTY for 2012 was a zombie title, I would have called you crazy :D
And if you had told me that one of the most engaging story arcs that I'd see in years would come from a child character that you were tasked to protect, I would have backhanded you.

..Well not really, but still.

Casual Shinji said:
I'm kinda nervous about this. The first "season" ended so gash darn perfect, and the relationship between Lee and Clementine was so unique and well done, I can't imagine them replicating that.
I can understand that...
I do want to see Clem again, but I can't expect any new character to build up any bond or sense of trust to the same degree that she had with Lee... If they can't top that relationship, should we just expect an entirely new cast? If that's the case will a new character dynamic be able to capture the magic the first season had?
Regardless, I am looking forward to what they can come up with. They've already surprised me once.
In the meantime I'll try to be hesitant about immediately comparing it to its predecessor.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Good stuff - if it even manages to come close to the first season, we should be alright.

I'm guessing that they will be following the same format and autumn (to give it it's proper name) will be the release date for the first episode of the second season, not the whole thing. Of course that would mean this time around I would have to sit through the agonising wait between episodes that I missed out on the first time around.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Wenseph said:
Sweet, I'm hoping it'll take place some years in the future, with a grown up Clementine as the player character. I doubt that will ever happen though.
I dunno, I don't think Clem should be controlled by the player, and as far as I know, the furthest the series has gotten so far is 2 years after the outbreak, so I think a grown up Clem is out of the question timeline wise.

I think Clem should be continuously influenced by the player, so we see how Lee affected her growth as a person in the next game and so on and so on.
Eh, we've done that. And I can't stick a little girl again for another 10 hours. The braver decision would be to push on until Clem makes a viable protagonist, and then have our influences from Season 1 affect what's happened to her in the mean time and affect the range of personality we can display in her in the second season.

It'd be a logistical fucking nightmare I'm sure, but then other developers have done more impressive things with choice than Season 1 did, and they had an actual 'game' game surrounding it as well.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I'd be happy with this but knowing their release schedule it will be "delayed until later this year...released on December 31st" then every episode will be "monthly" when in reality it will be "one month and 29 days later". Still gonna buy it regardless though.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
YESH

ALL OF MY MONEY TELLTALE, ALL OF IT

However, please try to have a more reliable release schedule.

And no, "when we feel like it" isn't a good answer >.>

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Honestly I wouldn't mind the wait. Mainly because I'm afraid of this being a rushed cash in on the popularity of the first. I hope it isn't but I've been burned too many times not to be suspicious.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
somebody warm up the feelcoaster, it's gonna be the year of the sads

Lucid_Camel

Feb 19, 2013
It'll take that long to recover from season 1, god dammit Lee it should have been me.Hope you play a different party and just find Clem.I will not willing play unless she is safe <_<

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I wish they'd wait a little bit more and give us some Sam and Max instead... It's been quite a long time since I last got my insanity shots.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Personally I want them to take as long as they need to get it right. If they rush to capitalise on the success of the first series, and end up ruining it... that would suck mammoth cock. Mammoth. Don't do eet Telltale!

Camera

Mar 6, 2013
Suppose they plan to release them it in episodes again eh? I Really hate that method.

TehRandom1

May 9, 2010
Dammit, I was hoping they'd do another Sam & Max season... it's been like 2 years already

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Awesome. Only bad news I can see here is that it won't happen until late this year (I'm assuming "fall" means American autumn).