Ten-Year-Old Hacker Reveals Mobile Gaming Exploit at Defcon

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
good on her for having the time and patience to work it all out. however i must say one thing... she needs a snappier title for her talk. i don't even know what that talks about from the title. thats all

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Cool, let's send her to fight Anonymous.

This is really awesome, considering that most ten year olds know nothing about technology. Sort of worrying that the security hole existed in the first place.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Fawxy said:
I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny. Besides, when you're the first person posting on an article and all you have to say is "pssh, that's all she did? I could have done that so easily" never mind the fact that the person in question is TEN, then you deserve to get knocked down a few pegs.
Not really. When the headline claims "A ten-year-old hacker who discovered an exploit that allows easy cheating in iOS and Android games has presented her findings to this year's Defcon hacking conference." and you find out that the "hack" is just changing the system clock, something that has been possible in games for years before anyone even thought about smart phones and games on them, people are going to be unimpressed because it's not a hack at all. As for disconnecting the device from the internet, that's also something that's been done for a few years as well (Xbox 360 will try to auto-sync the date and time if you're connected to Xbox Live, so changing the system clock requires signing out of live and/or disconnecting your ethernet cable first), which is also not hacking.

The age of the person in question has nothing to do with it. 10 years old or 30 years old, changing a system clock is not hacking. The reason for people being unimpressed is the same reason people get upset when someone claims there is "hacking" going on Xbox Live, PSN, or anything else and then tells a story about how they got tricked by phishing.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Is it just me or is a big deal being made out of this? I mean, yeah, she is 10, but specific flaw had been common in time trial software etc for years. If your time trial on something was up you would just wind back the clock and voila, its working again.

My 12 year old brother got this working on his RTM version of Windows 7. He still uses it even though its years old and its fully functional. Why isnt he at defcon...?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Sure, changing the system cock to cheat at games is a really old trick.

But this 10-year old girl came up with the trick independently of anyone else. That's gotta be worth some kudos and shows she's a smart kid with some good potential.

JonnyC

Mar 22, 2011
the fact that they even call this "hacking" is hilarious. I'm in network security, and the definition of hacking has become so broad at this point, its like anyone can hack. That is besides all the tools available on the internet to preform basic DoS attacks and things like that. Its just... Funny

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wow, some of you guys sure are douchebags.

So the kid didn't break into CENTCOM. She figured out how to exploit games on iOS and Android that were supposedly designed not to allow such exploits. That's the point, not the exploit itself: here's a ten-year-old girl who learned how to take advantage of a flaw in several games written for the most popular mobile gaming platforms on the planet. And the best you can do is say, Oh ho, she's not a REAL hacker?

Nice. Real classy.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
I did the same thing with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and that came out when I was 7. Since when is changing your system's clock to trick a game make you a "Hacker"?

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Blimey. I thought the headline meant a person who had been hacking for 10 years, not a 10-year-old hacker.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I should congratulate her on being the youngest (in all likely hood) on several government agencies 'watch lists' either for future recruitment or possible arrest depending on what direction she goes.