Ten-Year-Old Hacker Reveals Mobile Gaming Exploit at Defcon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ultratwinkie said:
The internet is not a nice place. Figuring this out is like saying "hey guys I learned how to walk" and claiming its somehow special on a forum. The internet criticizes religions, laughs in the face of whole governments, and tears down any societal habit such as child worship.
You're just flat-out determined to talk down the accomplishments of a ten-year-old girl, aren't you? I can't imagine why that is and I honestly don't care, but it's kind of sad.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Honestly, this isn't anything new.
At the age of 10, i knew how to use internet and all of its features.
And about being a huge exploit, it honestly isn't much.Most games that could be exploited this way have no real reason to do so, unless you spend your whole day on it.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Fawxy said:
I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny. Besides, when you're the first person posting on an article and all you have to say is "pssh, that's all she did? I could have done that so easily" never mind the fact that the person in question is TEN, then you deserve to get knocked down a few pegs.
Not really. When the headline claims "A ten-year-old hacker who discovered an exploit that allows easy cheating in iOS and Android games has presented her findings to this year's Defcon hacking conference." and you find out that the "hack" is just changing the system clock, something that has been possible in games for years before anyone even thought about smart phones and games on them, people are going to be unimpressed because it's not a hack at all. As for disconnecting the device from the internet, that's also something that's been done for a few years as well (Xbox 360 will try to auto-sync the date and time if you're connected to Xbox Live, so changing the system clock requires signing out of live and/or disconnecting your ethernet cable first), which is also not hacking.

The age of the person in question has nothing to do with it. 10 years old or 30 years old, changing a system clock is not hacking. The reason for people being unimpressed is the same reason people get upset when someone claims there is "hacking" going on Xbox Live, PSN, or anything else and then tells a story about how they got tricked by phishing.
Then blame the person who incorrectly put "hacker" in the topic title, not the person this is about, she didn't write this.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Wow. You guys must be in the friggin Dark Ages if you think the fact that this person is A GURL OMG somehow makes it even more impressive. The first computer programmers were women.

Specifically, the first programmer ever - https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ada_Lovelace - and the first "working" programmers - https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/ENIAC#Programming.

Note that this post is not about the person in the article, it's about all the reactions I saw saying how awesome it was that a GURL could do this. Sheesh.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
so basically... how i got millions in Fable 2. gotta say, i was expecting something more. but its a good place to start: i found out how to do it from the internet.