Terraria Coming to Consoles Next Week

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Terraria Coming to Consoles Next Week

After weathering a controversial porting process, the 2D-tunneler will be joining the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade before the end of March.

It would safe to say that Terraria was an indie hit. The game sold <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110432-Minecraft-inspired-Terraria-Pulls-in-2-Million-in-Nine-Days>more than 200,000 copies in its first week, a considerable success for Re-Logic, the studio behind it. Originally developed for the PC, 505 Games announced in September 2012 that it, in cooperation with Engine Software, would be porting Terraria to Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network. Announcements since then pointed to an early 2013 release but to no specific dates. That is, gladly, no longer the case. 505 Games, has confirmed that Terraria will be available on PSN in North America on March 26th, with a global XBLA release a day later on the 27th. European PSN users can expect a release date for their region to be announced shortly.

The console ports of Terraria were a point of some controversy amongst some fans of the original PC game. This turmoil arose when it was confirmed that bonus content being developed by Engine Software for the console ports, including new bosses and multiplayer options, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119781-Terraria-Creator-Confirms-No-New-PC-Content>would not be making their way to the PC version. Rather than any intentional shorting of the PC crowd, this exclusivity came as a result of the division of ownership between the different versions of the games.

505 Games and Engine Software were dealing with the console ports, but the original PC version was still under the control of Re-Logic and Andrew Spinks, Terraria's creator. Spinks had previously will be "huge."

The drama of the porting aside, it's going to be a treat for console gamers to finally get their hands on Terraria. The game was regarded very highly by many <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9005-Terraria-Review>critics who praised it for its challenge, exploration, and creativity. It's never a bad thing for a good game to reach new hands and, with luck, Terraria will find even more success on consoles than it did on PC.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sweet. I've avoided buying this because I have no one to play with on the PC, but my friends are all on Xbox, so if I can get them to buy it, I will definitely too.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
I've never heard of this game, why is this so?
I'm actually surprised that there is someone on the escapist that hasn't heard of it at all. To get the gist of it to you, many people think of it as Minecraft in 2D. But there are some very key differences between the two games beyond that. Minecraft is a building game with adventure, while Terraria is an adventure game with building. It is a game that encourages you to delve deep in the ground, face bosses, invade dungeons, and finding upgrade your loot Diablo style. It is a lot of fun and I encourage you to try it. It's ten bucks on steam. I don't think it'll cost much more on PSN/XBLA if that's where you want to get it. The console version will have more content and split-screen, so it might be a more worthwhile investment for you.

I'm looking forward to this. I wish this content would come to the PC version, but at least I'll be able to enjoy the new content split-screen.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
GeneralFungi said:
Evil Smurf said:
I'm actually surprised that there is someone on the escapist that hasn't heard of it at all. To get the gist of it to you, many people think of it as Minecraft in 2D. But there are some very key differences between the two games beyond that. Minecraft is a building game with adventure, while Terraria is an adventure game with building. It is a game that encourages you to delve deep in the ground, face bosses, invade dungeons, and finding upgrade your loot Diablo style. It is a lot of fun and I encourage you to try it. It's ten bucks on steam. I don't think it'll cost much more on PSN/XBLA if that's where you want to get it. The console version will have more content and split-screen, so it might be a more worthwhile investment for you.

I'm looking forward to this. I wish this content would come to the PC version, but at least I'll be able to enjoy the new content split-screen.
I'm not a fan of minecraft, I prefer city builders like railroad tycoon, sim city, lego land, etc.

Hobnail

Jul 11, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
GeneralFungi said:
Evil Smurf said:

I'm not a fan of minecraft, I prefer city builders like railroad tycoon, sim city, lego land, etc.
Then you will hate this game.

Personally I want this game on iOS/Android yesterday.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
You CAN build things but keep in mind that it will be in a 2D perspective.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Hmm. I have 1200 free Microsoft points cashed in from Bing rewards. I might just have to get this. I played the deal out of the PC version. Assuming this port is good at least, I'll get it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
It's gonna be a good week. Lots of Bioshock: Infinite and Terraria on the horizon, I see.

I can't wait to pop into split-screen with some buddies. It's gonna be fun. ~<3

Also, how much will it be launching for? $10? $20? I gotta know.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
GeneralFungi said:
Evil Smurf said:

$14.99 PSN or 1200 MS points. in U.S. it's Tuesday for Europe it's delayed a bit for PSN (additional region related access or something)
up to 8 players at once as well.

Oh, and the PC versions are getting another update though I haven't been hearing a lot of detailed info on when or what but PCs and Consoles are being handled differently form 2 groups so don't expect the exact same content.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
AstylahAthrys said:
Hmm. I have 1200 free Microsoft points cashed in from Bing rewards. I might just have to get this. I played the deal out of the PC version. Assuming this port is good at least, I'll get it.
Oh I forgot to mention there's a trail version too on release day but yeah it's 1200 MS Points.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Kind of see this game bombing due to the pricing. The massive sales on PC were because of clever pricing on release. XBL, as usual, doesnt get that.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game, and would love to play it on my xbox, especially with the new content.

But I paid like 9 dollars for it when it was brand new, and its on sale every other week for like $3. Its just unrealistic pricing (especially in Aus where it will be $20).

=/

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Ah, I have fond memories of this game, I still have it installed too lol.
Beginner tips: Survive the first night yourself and then use the wiki at your leisure, or watch these series [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89fW4MTJvRs&list=PLB26740E88DF1F615], I'd choose the latter.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Evil Smurf said:
It's $2.50 on Steam right now. If you're willing to gamble that, you very might well have a blast. I'm completely uninspired by Minecraft, yet I've put 340 hours into Terraria because it's just so much fun exploring and getting more powerful.

People like to compare it to Minecraft, but I look at it as a freestyle Metroid. You have a set of tasks that are best done in a certain order so that you can be the best you can when taking on the next boss. You can sequence skip if you think you can take down the more difficult challenges, but that's up to you to choose, and not the game's design.

OT: I expect the game to be much more polished for the console users in terms of UI, since they've announced things like adding a world map. However, I don't see any way in hell that they are going to be able to overcome the controller as an input device. It's going to suck on the console. Given how the game will run on any ol' granny's PC, I find this release to be completely redundant.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Signa said:
I can't help but ask myself how they will do ranged weapons, the enemies do fly predictably, but the direction is very very specific and the controls are very sensitive, not to mention the arrow fall-down curve. Even though I personally love that aspect and the Repeaters/Crossbows are bloody awesome, that's what I used to beat the bosses with my buddy, who used magic instead.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Really? It's pretty popular. It's kinda like a 2D minecraft but with bosses and it's much easier to just kinda do what the hell you want, or I found it more accessible. It's like £1.50 on Steam at the moment.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Desert Punk said:
blackrave said:
Don't care

Lets talk about better game
Anyone hyped about Starbound?
I also dont care.

Oh my god Starbound looks like it is going to be great.

Cat piloting a humanoid robot running away from some awesome looking critters? Hell yeah.
Just took a look at the website for the game. It looks like it might be a good upgrade over Terraria even, though we wont really know until after it is released. XD

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Colt47 said:
Desert Punk said:
blackrave said:
Don't care

Lets talk about better game
Anyone hyped about Starbound?
I also dont care.

Oh my god Starbound looks like it is going to be great.

Cat piloting a humanoid robot running away from some awesome looking critters? Hell yeah.
Just took a look at the website for the game. It looks like it might be a good upgrade over Terraria even, though we wont really know until after it is released. XD
And the best part is- it supposedly will be designed for mods
Starbound sounds too awesome to be true, but I'm cautiously optimistic :)

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Put quite a few hours in the PC version and absolutely loved it. I might pick it up again on console for the new content, if the price is decent.