Terrible movies that you like

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Pretty much as stated in the topic, a guilty pleasure film. Recently I forced myself to watch Uwe Boll's Postal and found myself actually liking it. Maybe because it conveys the schlocky, offensive humor almost perfectly. Also I tend to enjoy some dumb shit. So my fellow Escapist, what schlocky movies you like?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Postal's hilarious. I agree. And therefore I wouldn't consider it terrible.

Uh ... that Elektra movie, I guess? I've seen it like 3 times even though I consider it a bad movie. Maybe Tarantino's Death Proof, too, although that one gets better each time I give it a shot, so.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
"Shoot 'Em Up" is one of the greatest movies ever made, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Sure the plot doesn't really make sense, and neither do the physics, but shut up the movie doesn't need things like logic when it's nothing but pure distilled badass.

Gunfight while skydiving? Got it. Gunfight while having sex? Got it. Gunfight while giving birth? Got it. Gunfight sans guns? Got it. This movie has everything.

I would actually unironically say that this is Clive Owen's best movie role.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
"Shoot 'Em Up" is one of the greatest movies ever made, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Sure the plot doesn't really make sense, and neither do the physics, but shut up the movie doesn't need things like logic when it's nothing but pure distilled badass.

Gunfight while skydiving? Got it. Gunfight while having sex? Got it. Gunfight while giving birth? Got it. Gunfight sans guns? Got it. This movie has everything.

I love Shoot 'Em Up as well. It's a live action Warner Bros. cartoon. Emphasized by the fact that Clive Owens is chewing on a carrot like Bugs Bunny through out the movie.

I honestly think Sucker Punch is one of the best movies in the past 10 years. Other than Movie Bob, I don't know anyone else who agrees with me.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
KissingSunlight said:
I honestly think Sucker Punch is one of the best movies in the past 10 years. Other than Movie Bob, I don't know anyone else who agrees with me.
Me! I love Sucker Punch! Hooray for more fans!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
KissingSunlight said:
Fan #2 reporting in

OT: I like the new Amazing Spider-Man movies (the ones with Garfield in them). I'm relatively certain that I'm one of five fans.

I also really like the entire Matrix Trilogy (yes, there WAS a trilogy). I never really cared that much for Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions but during a few month period in college, my room decided to do super marathons where we would choose a trilogy to watch and The Matrix showed up. The movies make a TON more sense when you watch them together. Not sure if that makes them good or not but I liked them...

Also, I stand by the statement that Starship Troopers is one of the greatest sci-fi movies to ever exist.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
KissingSunlight said:
Fan #2 reporting in

OT: I like the new Amazing Spider-Man movies (the ones with Garfield in them). I'm relatively certain that I'm one of five fans.
Not really a fan but I have to concede Garfield makes a better Spidey than Maguire.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Johnny Novgorod said:
tippy2k2 said:
KissingSunlight said:
Fan #2 reporting in

Not really a fan but I have to concede Garfield makes a better Spidey than Maguire.
I think that Garfield is fine as Spiderman (and at least on par with Maguire from the first 2 movies while significantly better than Mcguire was in the third movie), and I think that Emma Stone was fine as Gwen Stacy (and is much better than Kirsten Dunst was as Mary Jane Watson), and I think that the action is better than the previous trilogy (baring the train scene from Spiderman 2). It's just that all the characters and the entire story is SOOOO poorly written that I can't get past it.

Equiliari

Mar 15, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I also really like the entire Matrix Trilogy (yes, there WAS a trilogy).
Me too, and to make matters worse for me; my favorite of the three is Reloaded.
There. I said it! *flame shield*

tippy2k2 said:
Starship Troopers is one of the greatest sci-fi movies to ever exist.
Yes!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Relic

One of the many Jaws rip-offs, but set in a museum. It's the standard 'Murderous force is on the loose and nobody believes the one man who's trying to warn of danger untill it's too late' plot. It does its job very well though, and the Kothoga is a pretty cool and intimidating monster. I always imagined this is the type of creature the Predator would hunt on its home planet. A lot of the murders don't make much sense though, but that's all part of the fun (Seriously, a 20-foot long, lumbering monster partially decapitates a dude in a security room with no sound whatsoever, just so his buddy can walk in thinking he's still alive untill he taps his shoulder and his head falls off).

Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Disney trying to be all action adventure-y-ish with a pretty flimsy plot even for a "kids" movie; Atlanteans who apparently weren't able to read their own language for like thousands of years, and a dumb twist in allegiance that gets rectified the very next second. The entire movie is kinda stupid, but it's still got some fun characters and character designs and animation style.

Disney's Treasure Planet

Overabandance of CGI, kinda obnoxious characters, and bad comedy, in a universe that has very little internal logic. The whole thing gets saved though by the character of Long John Silver, who just steals the show whenever he's on screen (not that that's too hard to do). He's just this big chunky pirate with the most stereotypical voice performance that still ends up being very nuanced. And his relationship with Jim Hawkins is probably one of the better ones in a Disney movie. I even kind of like the dumb angsty song... sorry.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hmm...I'm not sure that "terrible" is the word I'd use to describe any of these movies, but movies that I like that aren't exactly popular include (off the top of my head):

-Star Wars Prequels (average, but hardly the coming of the Anti-Christ)

-Alien 3 (not as good as the first two, but still decent - doesn't get enough credit IMO)

-The Matrix Reloaded (third film is very average, but the second, while not as good as the first, is still a good film IMO)

-Spider-Man 3 (yes, I like this film - IMO, the Rami trilogy is superior to the reboot films in every possible way, and that includes film 3)

-Man of Steel (definately an "average" film, but I have respect for it - I certainly like it more than most MCU films)

-Starship Troopers (another user has included it - I'm not aware of anyone calling it a bad film, but regardless, it's still an enjoyable film, with good action, and nice humour)

-Predators (not as good as the first, but still better than AvP - nothing spectacular, but decent)

-Jaws 2 (admittedly the only Jaws film I've seen, but while average, not a bad film IMO)

-Last Action Hero (a good film, regardless of what its ratings say. Deal with it!)

-Resident Evil (the very first film, and ONLY the first film - silly, over the top in places, but I'd argue that the first film was still solid overall)

-Star Trek Into Darkness (more of an action movie than a Star Trek movie, but still a damn good action movie IMO)

So, um, yeah. Admittedly most of these entries are me considering films to be average rather than good per se. I'll admit while I'm here that there are films that I dislike more than they have reason to be (e.g. 'Terminator 3'), so there's that too I guess.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Alien 3 seems to have a mixed opinion. I really like it and I thought it had the balls to conclude the story of Ellen Ripley the only way it could have. Random egg in the cryochamber room with nothing around to put it in place notwithstanding.

Alien Resurrection gets shit on pretty hard but I actually like it. I also think it's the most apt use of that subtitle; being used to resurrect Ripley and the franchise from the dead with mixed results.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Starship Troopers

(and for the record user above a few posts who thinks treasure planet is terrible i disagree and think it's good)

The Nightmare on Elm Street franchise (except the new one)

The Friday the 13th movies (yes all of them. the cheesier the better)

Suckerpunch

Waterworld

And a whole shit ton of "B" movies because they're hilarious in how bad they are

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Split Second, with Rutger Hauer. It's a forgotten little gem if you ask me. Cheesy one liners, over the top acting and nonsensical plot...But oh hell, I love it to bits.

The Ghost and the Darkness: Similar to Split Second, and hilarious to see Michael Douglas ham it up.

GI JOE: Rise of Cobra: Yep, I love it. I find it wonderfully endearing. Tatum is a great main man and Wayans is less annoying than he usually is. My main gripe is that it was here that my dislike for Eccleston began, which tainted my Dr Who time with him.

Robocop 2: "We're proud to present. Robocop 2!" *Robot enters, tears off mask Shrieks like a banshee then dies. Wolfy on spasms on the floor*

Last Action Hero: I love Charles Dance, he's awesome.

Big Trouble in Little China: Possibly one of the greatest movies ever made. Now also as a TMNT episode.

Starship Troopers: Even with shitty main characters, so great to watch. Decent special effects , awesome soundtrack and fun satire.

Demolition Man: In the grim future of...1996?! Okay then. Awesome mid 90's Stallone flick. "Here. I knitted you this sweater last night...I didn't just say that did I?"

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
The Fifth Element, Waterworld and Judge Dredd are the ones that come to mind.
Possibly all because of nostalgia, but either way, they all hold a special place in my heart.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dirty Hipsters said:

You're not the only one who likes it. It's a stupid, wonderful action movie. It knows it and boy is it getting every bit of mileage out of that as it can.