**Terror in Oslo** UPDATE: Anders Breivik gets 8 weeks of custody

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
You know, with as much whining and carrying on about history, politics, religion and what-have-you, I'm surprised this hasn't been moved to the Religion and Politics Forum.

Hopefully, the Norwegians can heal and recover from this when the time comes. In the meantime, I hope they find out who/what caused these attacks and confirm it, mete out justice where appropriate and rebuild from this horrible event. Peace to the living and R.I.P. to those who have fallen.

Chibini

Feb 14, 2011
DarkRyter said:
lacktheknack said:
I suppose this leaves me with one question... Why Norway? What did THEY do?
I'm gonna guess this is some kind of interNorwegian conflict.

Possibly politically motivated.
Well that's the thing. We don't really have any internal conflicts that should make extremists go on a killing spree. Of course we like all countries have our problems sure, but we didn't suffer from "violent undertones" until now.

Sep 11, 2009
Dascylus said:
Wait... we are all talking about muslim terrorists.
The attacker was nordic, maybe he was just psycho.
Columbine had no religious or political connection but had their bombs gone off we might have seen worse.
A lone adult could definitely do this without backup and with "a few household chemicals"
Someone jumped that bandwagon really fast... And then it turned into a religious discussion.

Also, the police have identified the shooter and have reason to believe that he's involved in the bombing. Of course, this is still just speculation.

They also believe this to be an organized effort.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Jerubbaal said:
You have a serious problem with the particular word that's important here: suicide.

Guy Fawkes wasn't a suicide bomber. The IRA don't blow themselves up in the process of attacking the British. In short, the idea of suicide bombing is abhorrent to the Western Christian psyche. It certainly could happen that a Christian commits a suicide bombing, but it simply isn't the norm, and were it to happen I find it difficult to see it happening anywhere remotely close to how often it has been used by Muslim extremists and the Tamil Tigers.

I guess my whole point is that there is something, whether culturally, religiously, or otherwise (or a combination of those things) that gives Muslim extremists the propensity to commit suicide bombings. This is a propensity that simply does not exist in Western Christian culture. And that's what you seem to fail to grasp.
You are missing a lot of details in your ideas, friend. True, christians aren't known to be suicide bombers, but you forget the countless suicide cults that have occured, all populated by those who call themselves christians. Many who went into school yards and other places to shoot people and then turn the guns on themselves have been christians. The method may be different, but it is still as abhorrent and insane. Persons can turn into suicidal nutjobs for whatever reason. Do not damn the religion for their act. Otherwise you are as bad as those who damn gaming for the acts of individuals.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
You know, with as much whining and carrying on about history, politics, religion and what-have-you, I'm surprised this hasn't been moved to the Religion and Politics Forum.

Hopefully, the Norwegians can heal and recover from this when the time comes. In the meantime, I hope they find out who/what caused these attacks and confirm it, mete out justice where appropriate and rebuild from this horrible event. Peace to the living and R.I.P. to those who have fallen.
The topic is not religion or politics, the thread just derailed into that territory. Don't think that a thread about a terrorist act should be in the "Religion and politics" section.
Some people just can't stop talking about it in this thread (It has calmed now though).

Evertw

Apr 3, 2009
Pinkamena said:
Evertw said:
I don't want to believe it. Why the children, for fucks sake why the children.

He showed up in a gray minivan and a police uniform, something should have rung in security's head.
Would you have denied a police officer to check on the safety on a large gathering during a possible terrorist attack?
Lets have a look at things that are odd.

First off, he's carrying a scoped rifle. Norwegian police rarely carry those, the last time I saw them in use was when Barack Obama visited. Second, if the guy shows up in a gray minivan, but is wearing a uniform of the police. WTF is going on, it's easier to acquire a uniform than it is a car. This may seem stupid of me, "oh well you have the advantage of hindsight." You might say. And yes the security wasn't actually trained, but still, WTF?! Also It would have taken him 30 seconds to call a police base and ask if they could confirm sending an officer to check on the safety.

Ambient

Nov 19, 2009
Pinkamena said:
Update: Utøya shooter captured. Nordic appearance. 5 dead on utøya.
Update: 7 dead from explosion. 30 dead from shooting on Utøya(!) This is horrible
I'm surprised they got the shooter alive.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
maturin said:
Shadie777 said:
Killerowl said:
Here's a pic from Utøya. I don't know if the people in this picture are dead or alive, but it is censored so I fear the worst.

Someone needs to hunt these fucking evil bastards down.
They are on an island, right?

There's no good end to it, though. If they are killed or kill themselves, it's senseless, if they get dragged before a court, it's a painful circus.
That things like this happen saddens me greatly. You are unfortunately correct on this.
At least they caught the shooter.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Pinkamena said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

The topic is not religion or politics, the thread just derailed into that territory. Don't think that a thread about a terrorist act should be in the "Religion and politics" section.
Some people just can't stop talking about it in this thread (It has calmed now though).
I realize the topic itself isn't, I was just...amused, for lack of a better term, how quickly it turned that way. Unfortunately, in these times we live in it is extremely difficult not to cross into that kind of discussion when these events occur.

Nevertheless, I wish my brothers and sisters across the pond all the luck I can give.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
as an american i would like to say that sucks, i can't say there is anything that would warrant that level violence, hell nothing warrants thats kind of violance. im sorry and i hope that who ever is responsible is punished slowly and painfully, so they wish for death but there will be no mercy for them as they had no thought of mercy for those who commited this crime.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
So...if this was so-called "muslim terrorists", what does a scandinavian man speaking a nordic language shooting a bunch of people have to do with it?

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
However tragic this is, I really can't see why anyone are surprised. To me this has been a matter-of-time deal for years.

We're prancing around on the global political stage, sticking our noses in places they have no business in being, without the man-power to back it up(like say, USA).

Like I said, unfortunate, tragic, but not at all surprising.

LE0Night

Mar 3, 2011
The same grey van that the shooter used was seen at the site before the blast, as was a man matching the shooters description...

Udyrfrykte

Jun 16, 2008
Killerowl said:
Hammeroj said:
Killerowl said:
Hammeroj said:
Killerowl said:
Something I don't like about this is all the people jumping on the "muslims did it" bandwagon.
Just check the comments on the youtube video and see what I mean.

Yes, this was probably done by an EXTREMIST muslim group. Don't judge all of them because what very few of them does.

It pisses me off!
An extremist muslim is still a muslim. So, if a muslim extremist group did this, the people saying "muslims did it" are, in fact, factually correct.
Yes, it is. But that was not my point.
I don't like that they try to put all muslims in the same group!

Racism is just going to get worse in this country after this.
Well, they do all get their 'moral' teachings from the same books. The fact that followers of islam in general are more violent and intolerant than the followers of christianity, for instance, speaks volumes for the reason of xenophobia towards muslims.

Look at me, railing on muslims like that. If I say much more, I'm likely to get warned, so enough about them.
It's funny that you say that because throughout history, christianity has been a very violent religion. The Crusades, I'm looking at you.

And the Bible is full of bad morals, and so is the Quran, mainly because they both are old outdated books. But both books also contain good morals.

And christians being more tolerant and less violent; there's no truth in that, unless you can show me proof. Don't try to blame all the muslims for what very few of them does.
I can't recall christian terrorist attacks. Sure, there's been wars, but do you think only christians went to Afghanistan/Iraq? Was it a holy mission from God? No. And look at crime statistics here in Norway. It's about time Norway united and stopped the immigration. I can say from personal experience that muslims are trouble. Can you say from personal experience that christians are trouble?

I've heard muslims call norwegians pigs, and our women sluts, in real life. If we did something similar in their homeland? Fuck me, I don't know what they'd do, only that anyone who did would be dead sooner or later.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Herregud... The explosions were awful enough but a gunman dressed as a policeman amidst the chaos is horrifying

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Definately politically motivated, attacking the PM's office building and the ruling parties youth camp.

Already seen/heard some idiots claiming "its the muslims fault"...... not this time chaps, looks like the Daily Mail will have to change its headline tomorrow.