Test Your Mental Might With The Escapist's First-Ever Puzzle Adventure!

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
These puzzles suck! Even though they are all video game titles, I've only played 3 of the 9 games on the list so far! THIS IS NOT A GOOD HINT! And yes, I finally managed to get both days done because of the help in this forum and with several Google and Wikipedia searches. Mainly so I would know what the fuck games are on the list! Hell, I never even heard of the answer to 1-4! It took two very obvious hints for me to find that one!

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
So this is what going insane feels like.

Thanks for your help everyone. I know next to nothing about binary, so #4 would have been titanically difficult without everyone's help.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
God damn number 4. I'm almost positive I decoded it correctly AND found out where it's talking about (glad I took that crypto class! Looking forward to the MD5 hashes in the future), when any game I can think of that takes place at said location (including the most obvious one) doesn't work :(

This seems to be a pattern I have. I can decode or decrypt whatever fairly easily, but once I have to think of a game corresponding to all my new information I just can't do it lol.

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhh clever clever. I was taking the location too literally, i forgot it's use in ancient mythos.

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
The solution to 2-1 is not the rebus itself...but the rebus TELLS you. I'm sure you'll be fighting with this game title for a good while like I did...and it's certainly a paradise for those who like their brains screwed.

LinedGoat

Nov 23, 2009
Aight, so I can't solve 2-3. I'm pretty positive I got the correct thing going since all the letters are used, it makes something out of it, it's a game reviewed here not too long ago and I can see how the character's name can be taken with zombies. But still while putting the answer in I yield nothing, explenation please!

EDIT: I got it, you had to take out the " : " mark from the answer for it to be taken as the correct answer. You might want to look into changing that! :]

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
...I don't speak binary. Or morse code. Anybody have a hint for someone who's totally lost?

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
AC10 said:
EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhh clever clever. I was taking the location too literally, i forgot it's use in ancient mythos.
Heh, thanks. That tirggered it for me.

LinedGoat

Nov 23, 2009
runnernda said:
...I don't speak binary. Or morse code. Anybody have a hint for someone who's totally lost?
You don't need to speak binary to do it.

Go trough it in steps where the 1st being translation. You need to translate it into Binary, but that doesn't require binary skills. Simply find a translator for it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
runnernda said:
I would learn to speak binary ;)

Binary is quite simple, but it's only going to get you so far in this question. Every number in our base 10 decimal system can be expressed in binary. Imagine binary as a number of "slots" each slot can either be used to it's full value, as indicated by a 1, or not used at all, as indicated by a 0. The slot pattern is 2^n, allow me to demonstrate:

64 32 16 8 4 2 1

Each of these is a "slot". To represent the number 12 would be

64 32 16 8 4 2 1
0 0 0 1 1 0 0

because 8 + 4 = 12.
After you've managed to convert to somehow convert the images to a decimal number, you're going to need to convert these numbers into letters. To do this you will need to use a popular character encoding!

Edit: if you want more... direct help I can PM you.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Halceon said:
AC10 said:
Heh, thanks. That tirggered it for me.
No problem, it's a real lightbulb goes off moment when you realize that lol.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
AC10 said:
runnernda said:

Binary is quite simple, but it's only going to get you so far in this question. Every number in our base 10 decimal system can be expressed in binary. Imagine binary as a number of "slots" each slot can either be used to it's full value, as indicated by a 1, or not used at all, as indicated by a 0. The slot pattern is 2^n, allow me to demonstrate:

64 32 16 8 4 2 1

64 32 16 8 4 2 1
0 0 0 1 1 0 0

because 8 + 4 = 12.
I see. It'll take some work, and I know I should learn it.

EDIT: I actually got 2-4...from a lucky guess and some hints in the forum. 2-3 is having its way with me, though.'

FURTHER EDIT: Got 2-3! When you think about it, there aren't too many games with an X in their name.

bobodemighty

Oct 18, 2010
Cheers! to the escapist team and the people on the forums. This has been both excellent and devious in creation.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
runnernda said:
AC10 said:
runnernda said:

64 32 16 8 4 2 1

64 32 16 8 4 2 1
0 0 0 1 1 0 0

because 8 + 4 = 12.
I see. It'll take some work, and I know I should learn it.

EDIT: I actually got 2-4...from a lucky guess and some hints in the forum. 2-3 is having its way with me, though.
Well, I'm glad your lucky ;)
I also had issues with 2-3 because I'm just so absolutely terrible with anagrams.

[HEADING=2]Clues for Number 2-3[/HEADING]

I can offer you some clues which will start off as somewhat helpful and turn into rather large hints. Try to do it yourself before resorting to these!

This game is indirectly related to zombies, it does not feature them as a main point of the game.
The game name has four words.
The game has been reviewed by the escapist.

EDIT: Well I see you got it, I'll just leave this up for anyone who needs help with 2-3.

LinedGoat

Nov 23, 2009
runnernda said:
EDIT: I actually got 2-4...from a lucky guess and some hints in the forum. 2-3 is having its way with me, though.
If you'd need some help on that I'd like to mention the following about the hint given:

The main character in the game once did something that had to do with zombies, the game in itself doesn't contain zombies at all!
The character also used to be a real person!

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Hokai, got them all. Some with hints from the forums, though. Keep this awesome up, you guys! Also, 2-4 made me (sun).

LinedGoat

Nov 23, 2009
Aha, finaly got 2-4 myself. That concludes the adventures of day 2 in this crazy thing putting Prof. Layton in disgrace. I'll go take my hard earned nap now! G'night Escapist!

Also, a quick headsup for 2-4
When you decrypt so far that you know the location, think of mythology

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
Detheroth said:
Snip

As for number 3.. I swear i am entering in the right game.. but it isn't working.. all the letters fit and i can see how the zombies would fit in... Is there another trick to it?
I had the same problem for a loooong time... I knew I had the right game, but it just wouldn't register. The problem was that I was using "The" as the first word, and it's actually in the middle of the game's name.