TESV Skyrim: Possibly Features a third Numidium. (Pics)

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
maturin said:
If the extinct Falmer are suddenly unextinct after doing nothing of consequence for several thousand years, it will be something of a reversal.
Again, it's part of the Elder Scrolls universe. Whose name truly says it all.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Ok, I don't know much about TES lore, but since when were Dwarves a kind of Elf?

On topic: I agree with Iaryri. If the dragons are the primary enemies in TES V, then I doubt Bethesda would have us fight giant, magic robots on top of them.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
voetballeeuw said:
Damn, how many times did you watch the trailer? Lol, great catch. I was just so pumped there would be a new game. Fantastic job. I think you just put CSI to shame.
Pah! [a href="http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/Tharwen/1290296421725.jpg"]I think not![/a][footnote]You might have to save it to view it. Sorry.[/footnote]

That's all I really have to say. Um... I'm actually surprisingly hyped for Skyrim. If the new engine is as pretty as they say it is, it could be amazing.

DaemonicShadow

Dec 14, 2010
GodofCider said:
maturin said:
If the extinct Falmer are suddenly unextinct after doing nothing of consequence for several thousand years, it will be something of a reversal.
Yes, but it would still be a rather silly move on BethSoft's part to make them magically re-appear. They may as well throw the Chimer and Dwemer back into the bargain if they take that road.
As for another Numidium...I don't think it'll happen somehow. After all, apart from the novelty of ancient giant robot powered by magic has somewhat worn off after two games. Plus they probably couldn't think of another unique way of powering it like they did with the Heart of Lorkhan.
No, it seems that it will be dragons. Which again could be a wonderful leap into the pit of fantasy gaming suicide. Dragons tend to ruin everything.
On another note, here's hoping for horse combat!

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
GodofCider said:
maturin said:
The Elder Scrolls are just prophecies.

There's only one way in which history and time can be rewritten in the ES universe, and it ain't easy.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
gigastrike said:
Ok, I don't know much about TES lore, but since when were Dwarves a kind of Elf?

On topic: I agree with Iaryri. If the dragons are the primary enemies in TES V, then I doubt Bethesda would have us fight giant, magic robots on top of them.
Dwarf was just a nickname, either referring to their stature relative to their divine ancestors, or an insult referring to non-physical qualities.

ES dwarves were just High Elves who migrated elsewhere and developed bizarre brains. There are no Irish midgets.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
DaemonicShadow said:
I think the inclusion of dragons will be fine. I've got goldbrand and perhaps eltonbrand after all. ^_^ That said, I wonder how Peryite will factor in; if at all. He was always one of my favorites.

At any rate, horses?

Hmm, I can't really agree to that in the least, considering how terribly clunky the movement system was in previous TES games.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
maturin said:
The Elder Scrolls are just prophecies.

There's only one way in which history and time can be rewritten in the ES universe, and it ain't easy.
No they aren't. Time and again it has been emphasized that when read, an Elder Scroll not only blinds the reader, but rewrites history both past, present, and future.

A prime and readily available example of this can be seen in the gray fox quests in Oblivion. Wherein the gray fox overwrites a Daedra princes curse, courtesy of an Elder scroll; rewriting and significantly modifying the past in the process.

A kind of catch all resolution to any future complications the game developers might have really.

Edit: A double post, but to different people? The horror!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
gigastrike said:

They're not really dwarves. They're called Dwemer and used to inhabit an area with giants, who called them dwarves, and the name stuck. There's a lot of stuff like that. Like Orcs are actually a type of elf who were changed when their patron god was eaten. And Dunmer (dark elves) used to be golden, but were changed due to being dicks.

DaemonicShadow

Dec 14, 2010
GodofCider said:
DaemonicShadow said:
I think the inclusion of dragons will be fine. I've got goldbrand and perhaps eltonbrand after all. ^_^ That said, I wonder how Peryite will factor in; if at all. He was always one of my favorites.

At any rate, horses?

Hmm, I can't really agree to that in the least, considering how terribly clunky the movement system was in previous TES games.
Aha, but with a new engine, this problem could be resolved, then we could actually have a reason for horses rather than fast travelling everywhere.

May 1, 2009
I agree that it's more than likely just part of the prophecy that already happened, like the opening of Oblivion.

The dragons, I'm guessing, are gods, such as Akatosh. So maybe TES is taking a page from God of War and having us kill a god? Just a wild guess, but it seems possible.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
It's just part of the Elder Scrolls prophecies. Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't that bit with the Oblivion symbol after they showed the supposed Numidium? This is just the next part of an overarching storyline that the prophecy lays out.

maturin said:
GodofCider said:
Since we're in the north, I wonder if I'll be able to play as a Falmer. ^_^
Their general deadness is a major obstacle.

And odds are they were racially Altmer in any case, just as the Cyrodilic Ayleids and High Rock Direnni were.
Yes, Falmer were essentially just Altmer. I am wondering if the Dunmer are coming back though. And if they are, what are their relationships going to be like with the Argonians?

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
GodofCider said:
No they aren't. Time and again it has been emphasized that when read, an Elder Scroll not only blinds the reader, but rewrites history both past, present, and future.
Time and time again? Okay, name one that isn't just a lazy plot device in a stupidly written faction plotline.

Elder Scrolls are prophetic devices that allow the user to look into all possible futures and pasts, not modify them. This is what the actual lore says, their fudged use in a single quest notwithstanding.

A prime and readily available example of this can be seen in the gray fox quests in Oblivion. Wherein the gray fox overwrites a Daedra princes curse, courtesy of an Elder scroll; rewriting and significantly modifying the past in the process.
How did he modify the past? He just modified the curse, which played with mortal perception. It is easy to see how he did this. The Elder Scroll simply revealed the truth, and what was done in the past was undone by what was done in the future, in the normal sense.

A kind of catch all resolution to any future complications the game developers might have really.
This is incorrect. People usually try to say this about periods of nonlinear time and subsequent course correction known as Dragon Breaks, but they are incorrect too.

I am wondering if the Dunmer are coming back though. And if they are, what are their relationships going to be like with the Argonians?
Very bad, that is to say, unchanged.

The Dunmer and the Nords appear to have reconciled for unknown reasons, however.

Lord Stompy

Oct 20, 2009
Just my two cents,
I believe the dragons referred to in the trailer are actually those of Akavir (meaning Dragon Land, see Mysterious Akavir), the landmass East of Tamriel which is inhabited by many beast races including the 'Ka Po' Tun', the 'Tiger-Dragon Empire'. Skipping a small amount of lore, the leader of these people called Tosh Raka had physically transformed into a dragon with the colouring of a tiger. Even before the trailer starts the Akavir are hinted to with the loading symbol of an Akaviri inspired dragon image, the same found in The Imperial City (on the gates, statues and Imperial Watch belts)

Mentioned in the trailer by the voiceover is "their return" and that "their defeat was merely a delay", the unnamed party mentioned are most probably the Akavir. This is because the Akaviri had invaded Tamriel before and were swiftly defeated at Pale Pass. This could mean that the Akaviri are once more returning to Tamriel and that the defeat was only a delay to another invasion of Tamriel. Also mentioned in the trailer is that the "sons of Skyrim would spill their own blood" this could be hinting at a civil war or conflict happening within Skyrim at the time of the invasion.

Another interesting piece of lore that I found was that the Nerevarine had travelled to Akavir and never been heard of again. What I'm about to say is probably the most incorrect thing but it's just my little insignificant thought. The "Dragon-Born" mentioned may be the Nerevarine or a descendant of them, this I highly doubt (and you should too) but nonetheless something to think about.

Totally speculation at this point, just what I have picked up from lore and the trailer.

Sinndogg

Sep 20, 2010
Wolf Devastator said:
If the only reason they left them out of Oblivion was to have them make an epic return in Skyrim, I may be able to forgive them...
I was quite annoyed by the lack of Dwemer ruins in Oblivion, considering the lore says there are some in and under the Velothi Mountains (and any on the Cyrodiil side could probably be explained away by shifts in the borders between the provinces). But if they're coming back in Skyrim, and are of the same quality as the Morrowind ones, then I'll be very pleased.

Anyway, this is a pretty sweet find, although I hope they don't just blatantly recycle the Numidium plot and call it a new storyline.

Cha Sui Bow.

Jan 6, 2011
Well I do think you're looking to far into it, but I still think you may be right haha, nice job man, just started plying Oblivion again, I wish they had some of the spells that were in morrowind, and Armour styles