Texas Company Files Lawsuit Against Everyone (Especially Nintendo)

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Patent trolls are beginning to get really really annoying. Its funny how the companies sueing Nintendo are not sueing each other. Most likly because they have fuck all cash and Nintendo are filthy rich.

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
Stall said:
Texas... great place to file suit you know. Just give a few hundred thousand to a judge's campaign fund and you are set!

And you think I'm kidding, aren't you?

SilverUchiha said:
but why is everyone so sue-happy these days?
Because we live in a litigious society where the court is often viewed as the best place settle problems.
No, the best way to settle any issue whatsoever is with a children's card game.

pubbing

Dec 16, 2010
Wow that company is going to go under since Texas has "Looser Pays" tort reform laws. If I was Nintendo I would get the most overpriced attorneys ever so this company has to completely go out of business for bringing this frivolous crap.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
UltimatePointer deserve to lose this one if for no other reason than their ridiculous product name.

theblackmonk90

Sep 28, 2010
Ariyura said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but their patent was only recognized last year, doesn't that favor Nintendo and the other companies they're suing?
Yes. But this isn't about actually winning. They are probably hoping to extract licence payments.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Idiots. That's like making a wheel by yourself, and then suing everyone for having wheels. It's already been done, and used for years! And it's such a broad spectrum of shit!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
There's an academic term for companies that do this, and it's one that should make sense to any internet denizen: patent trolls. They go around buying up worthless patents that they have no intention of ever actually using to make anything with, wait for a major company to independently come up with the same idea, sue said company, and hope they either settle out of court or wind up in a district that tends to side with the patent holder -- and, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Texas resides in such a district. That company probably doesn't even have any employees in its Texas office, just an empty office that's kept locked up at all times, but allows them to be based in Texas on paper.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Dear government: Could you at least adopt the appearance of being on the ball and make patent-trolling illegal already?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
How does owning a patent infringing product make you liable to be sued? Does that make any sense at all. Who came up with this idea?

KeikakuKat

Feb 10, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Why even include Texas in the article? It has jack squat to do with the state.

Just know Texas is an easy to hate state? This is exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about spin and how sickeningly easy it is. You play off mob rule, and know most people will readily make fun of Texas.

For The Bethesda suit why isn't the article "Maryland company suing a company in Sweden"?

Because they're a more recognizable name? What bearing does that have on it?
^This. There was no need to mention what state the company is from, especially in the title. Now people are going to make dumb comments like "Texas, huh. Why am I not surprised." just so they can justify their feeling of superiority over people they've never met and have only heard stereotypes about.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
Why even include Texas in the article? It has jack squat to do with the state.

Just know Texas is an easy to hate state? This is exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about spin and how sickeningly easy it is. You play off mob rule, and know most people will readily make fun of Texas.

For The Bethesda suit why isn't the article "Maryland company suing a company in Sweden"?

Because they're a more recognizable name? What bearing does that have on it?
People know who Mojang and Bethesda are.

People do not know of an obscure and pointless company that filed a patent last year and has done jack shit of note.

It's just one of those things. If nobody you're speaking to knows your friend Steve, you don't address Steve by name the first time you mention him to them. You say "I have this friend from Texas...." or "I know this guy who lives in Dallas..."

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The whole of the current patent law needs to be thrown out. An idea ultimatly shouldn't have any real value without a means of implementation. Under the current law every touch screen, from capacitive, to IR, to conductive, has to pay a royalty to the 'owner' of the idea that you can touch a screen.

Patent law was written to protect unique ideas the average person couldn't come up with, but I don't know a single baby that doesn't touch the TV; and more relevant I wanted my laser pointer to be able to move objects when I was a kid and I know I'm not alone in that.

Copyright is broken to but for different reasons.

Edit* FYI a means of implementation is protected by copyright.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
So not only do they think suing one company that has more money than God is a good idea they think suing several companies with more money than God is a good idea... This can only end humorously.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
And when all these companies counter-sue for some random reason...? Just saying. when that much money is going out, even corporate moneygrubbers will work together to stop it. (just like american health insurance not providing health insurance!)