Texas v abortion

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Can someone explain to me how this new Texas law allowing people to sue other people, anywhere in the country, for having aided in an abortion, can possibly be enforced?
Just by my reading of this very open ended law, like I could sue Donald Trump, claiming that when he was president he signed an infrastructure bill, and that women drove on roads repaired with funds from that bill to a clinic. And at least according to this law I would have standing and the courts would take up the case.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Can someone explain to me how this new Texas law allowing people to sue other people, anywhere in the country, for having aided in an abortion, can possibly be enforced?
Just by my reading of this very open ended law, like I could sue Donald Trump, claiming that when he was president he signed an infrastructure bill, and that women drove on roads repaired with funds from that bill to a clinic. And at least according to this law I would have standing and the courts would take up the case.
This is what happens when a party who are not about serious governance attempt to govern.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This is what happens when a party who are not about serious governance attempt to govern.
Perhaps that's what the left should do. Start filing claims like this to point out how fucking stupid the law is.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I suspect it can't and won't, but that will not be the point.

The point is harassment: essentially, to legitimise legal threats and vexatious litigation - because almost everyone slapped with a suit is still probably going to have to hire a lawyer to slap it down, plus time and effort and stress.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Where's Houseman when you need him? This thread should be 10 pages long by now!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Getting an abortion whenever you feel like it, isn't fucked up?
No, it isn't.

Even if you imagine there's people out there who are deliberately getting pregnant for the sole purpose of having an abortion on a regular basis (which I highly doubt), it's those people who are fucked up not the service that allows you to get an abortion whenever you feel like it. That's simply making it as easy as possible for the numerous people who are already having a very hard time being pregnant when they don't want to be, maybe even through means that they really didn't consent to, to have access to this service.

It's made easy, or at least it should be made easy, because it's an invasive procedure with already a lot of stigma attached to it for the people involved. NOT because people think 'Who cares, let's just get pregnant so we kill a bunch of fetuses'. It's easy not because of disregard, but because of concern.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Where's Houseman when you need him? This thread should be 10 pages long by now!
Oh I can fill in for him.
Ahem
I haven't read anything on abortions, I've never heard of Texas before, I purposefully do not follow laws and politics, I did not pay attention in school so I have no idea how laws are passed or people get into office, and I have no interest what so ever in learning any of this. Also did you notice the wording of the law doesn't specifically say Democrats aren't child molesters and cannibals? Why would they leave that out, unless its all true?!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh I can fill in for him.
Ahem
I haven't read anything on abortions, I've never heard of Texas before, I purposefully do not follow laws and politics, I did not pay attention in school so I have no idea how laws are passed or people get into office, and I have no interest what so ever in learning any of this. Also did you notice the wording of the law doesn't specifically say Democrats aren't child molesters and cannibals? Why would they leave that out, unless its all true?!
They should have sent a poet...

Reactions: SilentPony

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Even if you imagine there's people out there who are deliberately getting pregnant for the sole purpose of having an aboration on a regular basis (which I highly doubt), it's those people who are fucked up not the service that allows you to get an abortion whenever you feel like it. That's simply making it as easy as possible for the numerous people who are already having a very hard time being pregnant when they don't want to be, maybe even through means that they really didn't consent to, to have access to this service.
I suppose that's fair. I just feel like people who are very set on not getting pregnant should be taking other precautions against it right, pills, patches, condoms, whatever.

I'm okay with it so long as abortion is treated like a last resort.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
D405FDEC-CCC1-4829-BFB7-430C24F9E712.jpeg
That's how it's skirting around precedent: abortion isn't a criminal act. It's banned by the state in the same way as breaking a contract or wage theft is, requiring the "injured party", in this case literally anyone, sue in Texas civil court. Give you two guesses as to the sort of person who's gonna have their case thrown out by a judge and who's gonna have to go to court

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
If the Dems had any balls, they'd pack the Supreme Court with progressive Justices and end the Republican rule of terror on the rule of law and human rights.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I suppose that's fair. I just feel like people who are very set on not getting pregnant should be taking other precautions against it right, pills, patches, condoms, whatever.
And I'm sure they do. But even if they don't neither the mom nor future infant benefits from the outcome if we just decide 'you made your bed, now sleep in it'.
It's not treated as a last resort, nor should it. It's treated as the safest resort after the fact. The last the resort is typically really, really bad. Like, 'coat hanger' bad.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Yeah I agree with you honestly.

I personally don't like abortion much. And I don't think it should be given out to whomever asks for it just as a form of emergency birth control. That's kind of fucked up right? Like, "Oh damn I got pregnant again, better see if the clinic will give me a new stamp card."
What's fucked up is you thinking that's what women do. It's people like you that wrote and passed this law.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Does anyone have a proper cut off point for when abortions are OK and not OK? I think that's the issue at hand. I'm guessing most will say 9 months is too far. Is 5 months fine or too far? I'm guessing the Roe v Wade case never specified that line so as long as you allow abortions, you're complying by the law. I don't think we ever had a discussion of that "line" either as a society.

Texas can always fuck đź“´! You wanna be independent country. You're stuck with the rest of the other 49 states, deal with it. Your "survival of the fittest" mantra means nothing. Most of you are cowardly dicks in power, acting like spoiled brats.
According to the constitution, states have far more power than the federal government so states are far more independent than they are dependent.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

It's a last resort by definition, unless you count infanticide.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Does anyone have a proper cut off point for when abortions are OK and not OK? I think that's the issue at hand. I'm guessing most will say 9 months is too far. Is 5 months fine or too far? I'm guessing the Roe v Wade case never specified that line so as long as you allow abortions, you're complying by the law. I don't think we ever had a discussion of that "line" either as a society.
That's probably because it's a discussion that isn't really necessary. If someone wants an abortion it's highly unlikely they'll wait till the 7th month to get it done - they'll do it as soon as they realize they're pregnant. And in the rare cases when there is a late term abortion it's not because the person in question suddenly decides 'actually I want an abortion NOW', but because of major health risks.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
That's probably because it's a discussion that isn't really necessary. If someone wants an abortion it's highly unlikely they'll wait till the 7th month to get it done - they'll do it as soon as they realize they're pregnant. And in the rare cases when there is a late term abortion it's not because the person in question suddenly decides 'actually I want an abortion NOW', but because of major health risks.
we should be perfectly OK with women deciding "actually I want an abortion NOW"