Texas v abortion

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You don't kick balls by default either, but that's no argument to ban football.
Something being a right means you can't ban it. Something not being a right does not mean that you have to. Football is not a right, which does not mean we have to ban it, but that we can reasonably do so if there is a good argument for it. Do you disagree with the sentence: "Governments don't have to ban football, but they could do so if they wanted without violating anyone's human rights."?
Why are you making stuff up?
I'm not.
People getting what they deserve can very much lead less violence.
Yes, true. It could also lead to more violence. Either are possible. I suggest to you that the cases where people deserve worse outnumber the cases where people deserve better by a good margin. We live in societies that like the "better 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be punished" concept, and while I would personally advocate for even more forgiveness and less punishment in the world, in terms of absolute justice delivered, we way, way underpunish people for their crimes.
I can see a bunch of ways 'deserves' leads to more violence. But I can see a bunch of ways 'deserve' leads to less violence. It's almost like 'deserve' isn't the actual problem
I'm glad we can agree on that point. I've been saying for pages that "deserve" isn't the issue, and you've been the one pushing that concept.
You don't have security of person if another person can inhabit your body without your consent.
Which makes a potential case for allowing abortions in the case of rape.

But if you're taking a fetus as another person external to the mother, you are conceding that you're advocating for killing people.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Something being a right means you can't ban it. Something not being a right does not mean that you have to. Football is not a right, which does not mean we have to ban it, but that we can reasonably do so if there is a good argument for it. Do you disagree with the sentence: "Governments don't have to ban football, but they could do so if they wanted without violating anyone's human rights."?
So you are making the case that in order to ban something, there should be a good argument for doing so. This, of course, is not particularly exciting as it is a very basic concept agreed by both the entirety of the left and right (although they may differ heavily on the boundaries of where good argument applies).

This concept that the government should have a good argument to ban something is based on the underlying philosophy that people should be able do with themselves and their property as they see fit. Hence for instance stuff like free speech, freedom of association, and - guess what - bodily integrity.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
@CM156

Gonna find out if this kind of ping works.

How much quackery is in this?
I'm going to be 100% honest with you: Abortion and law is one of the legal issues I do not consider myself capable of doing an impartial legal analysis of due to my own personal biases.

Reactions: Trunkage

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I'm going to be 100% honest with you: Abortion and law is one of the legal issues I do not consider myself capable of doing an impartial legal analysis of due to my own personal biases.
From my reading this looks like using the logic of the abortion ruling being used to strike down semi-related privacy precedents.

EDIT: I can understand bias, I just can't understand a law professor's long winded lesson.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So you are making the case that in order to ban something, there should be a good argument for doing so. This, of course, is not particularly exciting as it is a very basic concept agreed by both the entirety of the left and right (although they may differ heavily on the boundaries of where good argument applies).

This concept that the government should have a good argument to ban something is based on the underlying philosophy that people should be able do with themselves and their property as they see fit. Hence for instance stuff like free speech, freedom of association, and - guess what - bodily integrity.
Yes? Yes. All agreeable. Just with an addition, that "don't kill people" is a pretty good argument for banning something.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Which makes a potential case for allowing abortions in the case of rape.

But if you're taking a fetus as another person external to the mother, you are conceding that you're advocating for killing people.
In the same way the we don't save somebody's life by strapping an unwilling person down to scrape their bone marrow for a transplant, sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Using unwilling people's bodies to keep others alive is not a power I want the government to have. Their age and potential personhood is irrelevant. That we don't have the medical technology for a successful transplantation is likewise irrelevant.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
In the same way the we don't save somebody's life by strapping an unwilling person down to scrape their bone marrow for a transplant, sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Using unwilling people's bodies to keep others alive is not a power I want the government to have. Their age and potential personhood is irrelevant. That we don't have the medical technology for a successful transplantation is likewise irrelevant.
Do you really not see the differences between strapping someone down and removing pieces of their body versus not aborting natural processes within them?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Do you really not see the differences between strapping someone down and removing pieces of their body versus not aborting natural processes within them?
Nope. If that "natural process" is a person, it doesn't have the right to anybody else's body without consent, and if that "natural process" is not a person, then fuck it, who cares what somebody does with their own body?

We fuck with "natural processes" all the damned time, that's literally the point of medicine.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Cancer is a natural process, and we attempt to cut out or put a stop to that.

Yes? Yes. All agreeable. Just with an addition, that "don't kill people" is a pretty good argument for banning something.
Fetuses aren't people any more than acorns are oak trees.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
As I've stated previously, I think a fetus is close to person before the birth. And not at all at conception. It's a spectrum that builds up and each person can probably have their own version of when it's close enough to human. Like, I wouldn't be advocating for abortion (except in extuating circumstances) in the third trimester as that's my line.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Fair enough. I dont mind hearing your opinion anyway, as you've declared you bias. But am fine if you dont want to still

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Fair enough. I dont mind hearing your opinion anyway, as you've declared you bias. But am fine if you dont want to still
This is an issue that it's really best for me not to talk about directly. I personally don't think there's anything closely enough analogous to abortion in either a medical or non-medical context that makes any of the comparisons good. For either the pro-choice or pro-life side.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
This is an issue that it's really best for me not to talk about directly. I personally don't think there's anything closely enough analogous to abortion in either a medical or non-medical context that makes any of the comparisons good. For either the pro-choice or pro-life side.
pro-choice wouldn't need to make comparisons if their opponents recognized the patently obvious correctness of the pro-choice position apart from analogy.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
"We're right because" is generally an argument that doesn't change minds.

That's why I tend to lean on "you absolutely do not want to give the government a precedent for forcing people to donate blood and tissue to keep people alive" and "holy shit, you want to put kids and crime victims through this?"

Unfortunately, 95% of the arguments against abortion are religious in a nature and reasonable debate only goes so far against The Will of God.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Nope. If that "natural process" is a person, it doesn't have the right to anybody else's body without consent, and if that "natural process" is not a person, then fuck it, who cares what somebody does with their own body?

We fuck with "natural processes" all the damned time, that's literally the point of medicine.
Cancer is a natural process, and we attempt to cut out or put a stop to that.
Is not cutting out cancer morally equivalent to strapping someone down and sucking out their blood?
An acorn is an oak. Different levels of development do not change the species of something. You may as well say "a puppy isn't a dog". Using the word "tree" is a tired old trick for making it ambiguous, because a tree is sometimes used to describe a species of plant and sometimes used to describe a plant as fully grown, but if you're calling the type of plant "oak tree", an acorn is an oak tree.
Unfortunately, 95% of the arguments against abortion are religious in a nature and reasonable debate only goes so far against The Will of God.
95% of the argument against abortion is "don't kill people". If you think that's an exclusively religious position, you're not gonna have many support your arguments thereafter.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
An acorn is an oak. Different levels of development do not change the species of something. You may as well say "a puppy isn't a dog". Using the word "tree" is a tired old trick for making it ambiguous, because a tree is sometimes used to describe a species of plant and sometimes used to describe a plant as fully grown, but if you're calling the type of plant "oak tree", an acorn is an oak tree.
A human fetus is not a human person.