Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
A human fetus is not a human person.
Yes, it is.
Lmao, really?
I notice you didn't answer.
No, it is absolutely not, and you would have to be legitimately insane to think it is. Thanks for asking!
Correct. Now, if you were TheMysteriousGX, I would ask you if not cutting out a fetus is morally equivalent to strapping someone down and harvesting their bodily fluids, since that's the arguement I've been given here like 8 times.
We must dissent.
I honestly could argue in good faith forever and never give a more compelling reason to ban abortion than you personally saying this.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Correct. Now, if you were TheMysteriousGX, I would ask you if not cutting out a fetus is morally equivalent to strapping someone down and harvesting their bodily fluids, since that's the arguement I've been given here like 8 times.
If a cancer can survive getting cut out of its host's body, more power to it. It doesn't have the right to stick around it's host's body without consent

Given that a fertilized embryo can and will attach itself to any available surface without regard for its own or its hosts well-being, safety, and survival, there's a lot of times that "cancer" is a more apt analogy than you realize. And yet, conservative politicians are more than happy to force people to carry non-viable pregnancies to term, regardless of the well-being of the pregnant person, seemingly on the hope that a literal miracle happens.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Fetal heartbeats aren't an actual thing
I mean, the fetus develops a heart at some point and that heart begins to beat at some point. Presumably that heartbeat can be measured at some point, at which time you would have a detectable fetal heartbeat. It's just not at 6 weeks.

But I'm permitted to go to a doctor and have the cancer removed without protesters outside telling me I'm a murderer and a whore.
If you want to argue you have a right to do things without someone calling you bad things, you're going to have a bad time. If you want, tell me when you're having the cancer removed and we can get on Discord or something so I can personally call you a murderer and a whore for having it done. I'm not a "protester outside", but that's really just a matter of logistics - I'm working form home on this one.

"holy shit, you want to put kids and crime victims through this?"
We make them labor for a couple of decades to benefit their perpetrator all the damn time (in case you're wondering, I'm referring to child support where the child having been conceived through sexual assault or statutory rape is not considered an excuse for why you shouldn't be made to pay the perpetrator).

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I mean, the fetus develops a heart at some point and that heart begins to beat at some point. Presumably that heartbeat can be measured at some point, at which time you would have a detectable fetal heartbeat. It's just not at 6 weeks.
its can start a 14 weeks but usually a bit later

We make them labor for a couple of decades to benefit their perpetrator all the damn time (in case you're wondering, I'm referring to child support where the child having been conceived through sexual assault or statutory rape is not considered an excuse for why you shouldn't be made to pay the perpetrator).
If there is a perpetrator, I hope they are in jail thus may not be capable of paying

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I find this cancer/abortion debate points weird. It doesn't solve the issue of wanting the government wanting to be involved in determining if people should have (safe) healthy care. That seems abhorrent to me, like who would want the government to ban putting a cast on someone's leg for arbitrary reasons.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I find this cancer/abortion debate points weird. It doesn't solve the issue of wanting the government wanting to be involved in determining if people should have (safe) healthy care. That seems abhorrent to me, like who would want the government to ban putting a cast on someone's leg for arbitrary reasons.
Safe and available abortions are extremely useful for people. Arguing for pro-life on the Internet is arguing against abortions being "fine" to do. Maybe you get people to agree that it's a necessary evil that we wish was never done. That's not too far from being against it on principle.

As a personal anecdote it goes to the pile of impossible discussions to have irl (for fun), because people in general are absolutely fine with convenient hypocricy.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
An acorn is an oak. Different levels of development do not change the species of something.
Different levels of development are quite important though. If you destroy a thousand acorns, no-one takes you to task for deforestation.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Different levels of development are quite important though. If you destroy a thousand acorns, no-one takes you to task for deforestation.
I mean, there's a good chance that they should. When adult trees die off in a place where people trample all the acorns and saplings to death, you're left with just as barren a field as if you cut down the trees in the first place. I don't think any of this applies to the analogy, but your comment is genuinely ignorant of environmental preservation.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I mean, there's a good chance that they should. When adult trees die off in a place where people trample all the acorns and saplings to death, you're left with just as barren a field as if you cut down the trees in the first place. I don't think any of this applies to the analogy, but your comment is genuinely ignorant of environmental preservation.
Adding ecology and dendrology to the list of things you think you understand but don't.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Adding ecology and dendrology to the list of things you think you understand but don't.
You have never made a case for me being wrong on anything, no matter how many times you say so as fact.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
You have never made a case for me being wrong on anything, no matter how many times you say so as fact.
That's because instead of changing your views in light of contradictory evidence, you change the contradictory evidence until it fits your existing views. It's not something to be proud of...

Reactions: Buyetyen and Kwak

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That's because instead of changing your views in light of contradictory evidence, you change the contradictory evidence until it fits your existing views. It's not something to be proud of...
I'm not just saying Buyetyen has never succeeded in changing my mind, they've never made a case. I may not agree with Agema's argument's against me, but Agema makes cases all the time. Buyetyen doesn't do that. They don't provide contradictory evidence. They just pop in to say "hahaha, you so wrong, ppphhhtphpttt".

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That's just about one of the most feeble attempts to manufacture a criticism I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. (Not least because 1000 acorns is a small fraction of the annual production of a single mature oak tree). I am genuinely quite embarrassed on your behalf.

The point, however, remains unanswered. Development matters.

The real distinction between life and death really relates to "personhood". And personhood in large part relates to what we could maybe call sapience. You can legally stomp an ant to death but not a dog: the difference is essentially that of the mental capabilities of dogs and ants; and humans with greater cognitive capability merit more protection than dogs. What has minimal capacity to think, (feel), etc. merits relatively little inherent protection, because by being extinguished it has so little to suffer or comphrehend as loss. It is similar logic by which we switch off the life support of the brain dead.

A fetus under 24 weeks cannot think or feel. It literally does not have the nervous system development to do either. It is a bundle of cells that cannot comprehend its own existence, destruction or loss of potential, nor can it suffer. In this sense it is lesser than an ant, never mind a dog. It has no interaction with society: no achievements, no legacy, no personal bonds, and so society has no compelling justification to interfere in the decisions and autonomy of the one person a fetus does affect considerably: the host mother.

Reactions: Seanchaidh