Texas wants to secede from the Union?

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Seekster said:
matsugawa said:
I feel I can say this because most Texans I know actually live in New Mexico, and live in New Mexico because they couldn't wait to get the hell out of Texas, so to Texas I say on the subject of secession:

"AND STAY OUT!" Then, before I slam the door, "Oh, and take Arizona with you."

I'm all for a limited government, and if threats of secession are what it will take to make that happen, then it might as well be Texas to draw the line in the sand. I'm not sure about Texas being broken up into four smaller states; Frankly, I've always felt the state of California should be broken up into North and South (if anything, it might be entertaining to watch them fight over Fresno).

In all seriousness, this is just a lot of big-talk coming from one of the most outspoken states in the union (rivaled only by California and Arizona). If it happens, then fine, if not, then it's no surprise.
Im giving you the finger right now.
Sentiment duly noted... as a testament to Texas being an outspoken and brash member of the union.

Seekster

May 28, 2008
matsugawa said:
Seekster said:
matsugawa said:
I feel I can say this because most Texans I know actually live in New Mexico, and live in New Mexico because they couldn't wait to get the hell out of Texas, so to Texas I say on the subject of secession:

I'm all for a limited government, and if threats of secession are what it will take to make that happen, then it might as well be Texas to draw the line in the sand. I'm not sure about Texas being broken up into four smaller states; Frankly, I've always felt the state of California should be broken up into North and South (if anything, it might be entertaining to watch them fight over Fresno).

In all seriousness, this is just a lot of big-talk coming from one of the most outspoken states in the union (rivaled only by California and Arizona). If it happens, then fine, if not, then it's no surprise.
Sentiment duly noted... as a testament to Texas being an outspoken and brash member of the union.
Damn straight and dont you forget it.

(Disclaimer: I am perfectly aware that I am being brash and immature right now but I personally like that stereotype about Texas and I want to enforce that misconceptions)

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Seekster said:
Typecast said:
:D This thread made my day. I hope they do, it would be interesting to see if Texas really had the guts. Then they'd probably be classified as a rogue state XD
Oh Texas has the guts, we just have no reason to succeed at this time.
SECEDE.

It's not about success, its about seceding from the Union.

Sorry, just a pet peeve. I may have even spelled it wrong somewhere in this thread, too. lolz

And now I'm curious to see why Guts thinks that the majority of Texas wants to secede from the US, since the group is largely a minority in the state. I think people are getting confused (perhaps by the media) that the Texas Secession Party is bigger than it is. It's a small, extremely vocal group, and the fact that it is vocal probably puts it on the radar more often, making it seem big.

But it's not. Presently, it only has about two thousand members in it.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
ElephantGuts said:
Alright now I'm confused: are we still talking about Texas or some hypothetical state? Because considering Texas's situation yes the majority of Texans may support a sucession but they are the minority out of all the people in the country, as opposed to 1776 when the majority of people throughout all the Colonies were against the British.

But yes, whether we're talking about a hypothetical state or Texas, the majority of the people actually rebelling do support it.
You and I can't even agree on what we don't agree on. hehe.
Indeed. I'm not even sure that we disgree on anything. Let's recap. I agreed that a state would have the right to seceed if the rights of its citizens were being infringed upon by the government, but Texas's tax problem does not meet these criteria and is not serious enough to warrant a secession. You were saying roughly the same thing about what would necessitate a secession. So I don't see any real conflict. Though it seems I think that a state has a bit more of a duty towards its country and government, and has no reason to take offense at anything unless it is treated unfairly.
Ah, but we do disagree. Before we can talk about the merits of Southern or Texan secession specifically, we must first establish that the right to secession depends on merit.

If liberty is only granted in cases deemed to have merit, how does this apply to other rights like freedom of the press or freedom of speech? Should Neo-Nazis be denied public assembly because their message is not reasonable? And who does the deeming? What body could be trusted to fairly weigh the merits of each petition? And if such a body can exist, why does it not govern each and every action of each and every man?

No, rights are not subject to censorship by a subjective authority. Or we cannot claim to have the right.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Seekster said:
matsugawa said:
Seekster said:
matsugawa said:

Damn straight and dont you forget it.

(Disclaimer: I am perfectly aware that I am being brash and immature right now but I personally like that stereotype about Texas and I want to enforce that misconceptions)
(laughs, then applauds)
I'd tip my hat to you if I wore one. Since I don't, tell you what: if the Lone Star state ends up 'going it alone' as it were, I'll buy a passport, cross the border, and buy you a drink.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
ElephantGuts said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
ElephantGuts said:
Alright now I'm confused: are we still talking about Texas or some hypothetical state? Because considering Texas's situation yes the majority of Texans may support a sucession but they are the minority out of all the people in the country, as opposed to 1776 when the majority of people throughout all the Colonies were against the British.

But yes, whether we're talking about a hypothetical state or Texas, the majority of the people actually rebelling do support it.
You and I can't even agree on what we don't agree on. hehe.
Indeed. I'm not even sure that we disgree on anything. Let's recap. I agreed that a state would have the right to seceed if the rights of its citizens were being infringed upon by the government, but Texas's tax problem does not meet these criteria and is not serious enough to warrant a secession. You were saying roughly the same thing about what would necessitate a secession. So I don't see any real conflict. Though it seems I think that a state has a bit more of a duty towards its country and government, and has no reason to take offense at anything unless it is treated unfairly.
Ah, but we do disagree. Before we can talk about the merits of Southern or Texan secession specifically, we must first establish that the right to secession depends on merit.

If liberty is only granted in cases deemed to have merit, how does this apply to other rights like freedom of the press or freedom of speech? Should Neo-Nazis be denied public assembly because their message is not reasonable? And who does the deeming? What body could be trusted to fairly weigh the merits of each petition? And if such a body can exist, why does it not govern each and every action of each and every man?

No, rights are not subject to censorship by a subjective authority. Or we cannot claim to have the right.
True, but in that case what gives secessionists the right to secede and cause warfare and death just for the sake of their freedoms?

Sometimes you just have to trust people's general opinions. I think most people would agree with me in drawing the line somewhere between the denial of human rights and high taxes. The fact that even most Texans talking about secession do so jokingly attests to this; few people are serious about it.

But it's true that eventually this subject becomes one of those matters of opinion which have no true answer. In those cases, you just do your best to satisfy as many people as possible and avoid death and destruction except for when completely necessary.

mercertheblack

Feb 11, 2009
Look at the population of Texas.

Now look at the amount of agricultural capacity in Texas.

Even if you assume that it will all be equally and efficiently distributed (oh, that darn communism!) with no waste whatsoever, there would be a whole lotta starved Texans within a couple months of secession.

Buy the food for elsewhere? With what? Any funds held in American banks by Texans who left the Union would be forfeit, and it'd be kinda hard to trade oil when your ports are blockaded.

Finally, on the subject of whether or not Texas has the right to secede, it comes down to a simple, unpalatable fact of national rights: you have the right to do what you can militarily back up, no more. Anything else is granted at the indulgence of those more powerful than you. Contrary to what your mother may have told you, violence solves everything, and usually does. Ask those pirates who got sniped.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Seekster said:
I cant believe how misinformed some people are about Texas. *shakes head*

1. Perry isnt in any danger of getting impeached. Sure he is going to (hopefully) lose to Hutchinson in the next election but until then he isnt going anywhere.

2. Actually I think I saw on one news cast, that Texas is the only state in the Union that has the legal right to succeed. I dont know where they got that but I think I remember something about a clause in the agreement where Texas joined the Union that said we could leave when we wanted but they may have changed that after the Civil War. Doesnt really matter, if we really did want to leave we just would.

3. Texas isnt wierd (except Austin) its you lot that all wierd. ^_^

4. Texas COULD absolutely support itself if it broke off, though it would take a while for the economy to adjust to suddenly being self-sufficient. It could be done, besides we have oil.

5. Texas probably wont succeed. Yeah its sad but true. For those of you who havnt been keeping track, which by the looks of it is everyone here, every so often some person or group here (in Texas) says something about succeeding, of course this time it was the governor so they go even more nuts than usual.

As wierd as the rest of America is, we Texans have grown rather fond of you guys...yes even you California...As long as some outrageously drastic measure isnt taken to rob Texas of its heterosexual only marriage or death penalty we arent really planning on leaving.

You've said more competantly what I wanted to express, Thank you dearly!

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
True, but in that case what gives secessionists the right to secede and cause warfare and death just for the sake of their freedoms?

Sometimes you just have to trust people's general opinions. I think most people would agree with me in drawing the line somewhere between the denial of human rights and high taxes. The fact that even most Texans talking about secession do so jokingly attests to this; few people are serious about it.

But it's true that eventually this subject becomes one of those matters of opinion which have no true answer. In those cases, you just do your best to satisfy as many people as possible and avoid death and destruction except for when completely necessary.
But aren't we blaming the victim now? Assuming states do have a right to secede at their own discretion, is a federal government that attempts to thwart that right by invasion not responsible for senseless deaths?

And- just for the sake of freedom? What do we value more than our freedom? Liberty is the highest virtue; riches and even life are nothing without it. This is not to say that people would not be wise to weigh the human cost of war. But if that cost is ever justified, it must be in the defense of freedom.

If most people agree that the right of another to choose his government relies on the subjective whim of others, I am not surprised. That is the condition of almost all societies. They do not know liberty or do not want it, and we should shun their example. There are lots of reasons why secession is not currently a political reality, but this does not make it wrong in principle.

Sometimes opinions are, and should be, dictated by principle. The founding principles of the United States include the right of the people to choose their own government- indeed, they are centered around it. You do the best you can in this world, and the United States should not make its realities more difficult to bear by denying its member states their freedom.

PrinnyGod

Sep 25, 2008
Darth Mobius said:
Jeronus said:
The first sentence says and i am pulling this from the link above,"Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" Wednesday with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights as some in his U.S. flag-waving audience shouted, "Secede!""

Anyone see anything wrong with that? No. Let me explain. If you are seriously talking about secession, you shouldn't be waving flags of the country you are planning to secede from! Texas is the only state in the Union with the power to secede but it is highly unlikely. Governor Rick needs to shut his damn mouth. I doubt he could get a quarter of the state support to secede much less enough to secede.
You do realize that waving flags COULD mean waving the TEXAS state flag, which was ALSO the NATION of Texas' flag, right?

Please sir, read what you are complaining about BEFORE you thrash it....

"Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" Wednesday with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights as some in his
U.S. flag-waving
audience shouted, "Secede!"

Clearly you missed something before claiming another's ignorance

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
avidabey said:
Ooooh, oooh, history buff here! Well, minor history buff anyway.

Only like, forty percent of Americans wanted to part from Britain. Not exactly the majority (although they did have a plurality). I...I...uh...don't really know what that lends to the conversation, but there you have it.
I didn't mention it because it didn't contribute to my argument, but I'm glad you mentioned it. The more you know... There are a range of estimates, and its impossible to know exactly how many favored independence, but it was far from unanimous especially in the North.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
But aren't we blaming the victim now? Assuming states do have a right to secede at their own discretion, is a federal government that attempts to thwart that right by invasion not responsible for senseless deaths?

And- just for the sake of freedom? What do we value more than our freedom? Liberty is the highest virtue; riches and even life are nothing without it. This is not to say that people would not be wise to weigh the human cost of war. But if that cost is ever justified, it must be in the defense of freedom.

If most people agree that the right of another to choose his government relies on the subjective whim of others, I am not surprised. That is the condition of almost all societies. They do not know liberty or do not want it, and we should shun their example. There are lots of reasons why secession is not currently a political reality, but this does not make it wrong in principle.

Sometimes opinions are, and should be, dictated by principle. The founding principles of the United States include the right of the people to choose their own government- indeed, they are centered around it. You do the best you can in this world, and the United States should not make its realities more difficult to bear by denying its member states their freedom.
Well first of all, when I said "just freedom" I meant that in comparison to war and death. As I said I believe that freedom is probably the most important thing in a person's life, but still, it's in a person's life. There are many people who would gladly die for what they believe in, but there are also many people who would rather make some concessions in exchange for a peaceful, enjoyable life and to enjoy the trauma that war brings. I wouldn't consider myself to be at either extreme of that argument, and while sure sometimes it's necessary to fight for your freedom you must also know when to make concessions for the sake of peace and avoid creating conflict everywhere you're unhappy with something. And don't say something along the lines of "No one should ever have to give up their freedom for anything" because I agree with that, but freedom is just one issue where violence may be acceptable. You can't start wars over every little thing that bothers you. When considering things like taxes, sometimes concessions are necessary and acceptable.

And I still don't think that people should unconditionally be able to start their own government just because they want to. What if all the Neo-Nazis got together in one state and decided they wanted to secede, create their own Nazi nation and start another Holocaust? Obviously that's an extreme case, but sometimes people's actions do need to be controlled by a more sensible, experienced, and professional outside force...like a government. That's what they're there for right? Because they're professionals at controlling society and setting up laws regarding what people can and can't do. And when someone opposes those laws, they have the freedom to appeal to the Courts, which is the correct peaceful method in this country, as opposed to a secession. And as I said and I think we agreed, it is when the government refuses to correct the issue after the legal methods were fully pursued that a secession becomes an acceptable prospect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to my little historical innacuracy... (Seperated from my above discussion for clearer reading)

avidabey said:
ElephantGuts said:

Only like, forty percent of Americans wanted to part from Britain. Not exactly the majority (although they did have a plurality). I...I...uh...don't really know what that lends to the conversation, but there you have it.
Rooster Cogburn said:
avidabey said:

I didn't mention it because it didn't contribute to my argument, but I'm glad you mentioned it. The more you know... There are a range of estimates, and its impossible to know exactly how many favored independence, but it was far from unanimous especially in the North.
As I typed that I did realize that I didn't think it was true that the majority of American colonists supported the revolution, and I'll admit that I sort of hoped no one called me on it. But I decided it wasn't worth correcting because it really didn't pertain to the point I was making (thank you Rooster for recognizing this).

What I really was saying was that enough of the population of the effected area was willing to rebel that it was atleast a valid and relatively widespread notion. It doesn't really matter exactly what percentage, but it was enough for the revolution to succeed wasn't it?

I was saying this in contrast to Texas's situation, where it is only 1 state out of 50 who are all treated the same. So it's roughly 1/50th of the nation compared to the around 40% of colonists supporting the revolution as you said. In 1776 Texas's current situation would be about equivalent to, what, maybe a few counties wanting to secede? I highly doubt that that revolution would have succeeded.

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
Here in Canada any Province has the right to leave the Dominion, it has to be voted on in a referendum.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Oh noes my cancer wants to leave my body and go somewhere else. Whatever shall I do?*

*should probably be noted that my only experience with Texans were two people but they were REALLY justify the above.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Legally, Texas still has the right constitutionally to secede. Not only that, but I believe that all states should have that right simply because that is the foundation that our government is founded on.

EDIT: OK, I might have been wrong about Texas legally having the right to secede. But I will stand strong on my opinion that all states should be able to secede regardless. If the people are not happy w/ their government, then reform is needed. However, I do not believe that reform such as secession should occur unless, say, 75% of people are in strong agreement on the matter.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Well first of all, when I said "just freedom" I meant that in comparison to war and death. As I said I believe that freedom is probably the most important thing in a person's life, but still, it's in a person's life. There are many people who would gladly die for what they believe in, but there are also many people who would rather make some concessions in exchange for a peaceful, enjoyable life and to enjoy the trauma that war brings. I wouldn't consider myself to be at either extreme of that argument, and while sure sometimes it's necessary to fight for your freedom you must also know when to make concessions for the sake of peace and avoid creating conflict everywhere you're unhappy with something. And don't say something along the lines of "No one should ever have to give up their freedom for anything" because I agree with that, but freedom is just one issue where violence may be acceptable. You can't start wars over every little thing that bothers you. When considering things like taxes, sometimes concessions are necessary and acceptable.
I only quoted this portion to avoid huge quote towers, but I mean to address your entire post.

Whether secession is prudent or the right thing in any given case considering factors like war, death and taxes is not what I mean to debate at this point. Before we can consider extraneous factors, we must first decide the underlying issue. We must differentiate between being right about something, and having the right to something. I believe Neo-Nazis are wrong to promote the ideology of white supremacy. Likely, most would agree. This is a hateful ideology that would do society harm. Why does the government not stop them from assembling, then? Why does the government not tell everyone what to think and how to act, in every case? Wouldn't society function better if all of us submitted to one central authority with unlimited power over us?

The answer is yes- society would function better. Efficiency is the mark of every totalitarian regime.

But the American ideal is liberty- for its own sake. Neo-Nazis have the right to assemble even when they are wrong to do so. We do not deny them this because we consider it a right, and a right cannot be denied by subjectivity or the will of others.

Your question about Neo-Nazis making a new Holocaust is not without merit. But that is a Just War issue, not a secession issue. We should not permit the Holocaust to begin again, but it would be the Holocaust, not the act of secession, that we would be fighting. It is like asking, should we not stop a man who exercises his right to free speech and then punches a baby? Of course we should stop the baby punching, not the free speech.

It is true that men must be governed. And you could use this principle to justify any and all government authority. But the Washingtonian imperative is small government. Shrink it as much as possible, leaving only what skeletal structure of a government is necessary to secure liberty. The purpose of state and federal authorities existing parallel to each other is to create a union of willing partners for the benefit of all. If those partners are not willing, the word "union" hardly applies.

Controlling people's actions is a necessary evil, not a principle. It is to be reviled and feared. We limit freedom only when the freedoms of one person impose on the freedoms of another. If a federal government is telling a state what union they must belong to, that state's rights are being usurped.