TF2 Headgear!

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
With the new TF2 patch out today, apparently Valve has added unlockable headgear for each of the classes! What do you think the alternate headgear might look like for each class, and how might it affect the playstyle of the classes? Discuss.

Originengel

Nov 7, 2006
I'm more concerned with the whole backpack permanently deleting of an item and never being able to re-earn it. That confuses me so much.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
So that's what the patch was!
Originengel said:
I'm more concerned with the whole backpack permanently deleting of an item and never being able to re-earn it. That confuses me so much.
What?

Originengel

Nov 7, 2006
Game Changes

Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned.

Edit: quick copy paste

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
That seems somewhat silly to delete them and never get them back again without reseting all achievments (Which i think is an option somewhere, possibly in the Steam home program itself.

Not seen the patch notes tho, nothing announced on the site?

Originengel

Nov 7, 2006
Yeah, Headgear, Backpack, and Spy Watch options now added. Full patch notes are up on Steam and the Steam site and plastered all over Steam forums.

Needless to say, I can only think of one plausible option, the new game mode is an RPG type mode where killing someone gets you a random chance for items.. :|

Syndef

Nov 14, 2008
I can't think of a reason why someone would want to delete their items, especially if items cannot be re-earned. Am I missing something here?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Awesome awesome awesome I have to play the game right now and find out what the deal with this is! I'll deliver my thoughts on the subject soon.

Originengel

Nov 7, 2006
Supposedly a ton of .gcf mining has turned up a start to an Item drop system akin to an RPG.....

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844720

Also includes the names of the helmets for each class and 2 new interesting slots called "Accessory" and "Grenade".

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
1. I don't see anything about unlockable headgear.

2. Permanently deleting your unlockables? Why? What on Earth was their rationale for this?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Originengel said:
Supposedly a ton of .gcf mining has turned up a start to an Item drop system akin to an RPG.....

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844720

Also includes the names of the helmets for each class and 2 new interesting slots called "Accessory" and "Grenade".
PARTIAL LIST OF HELMET NAMES!!!!

"TF_Wearable_Headgear" "Headgear"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Scout" "Batter's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Sniper" "Tooth Belt"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Soldier" "Soldier's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Demoman" "Fro"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Medic" "Medic's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Pyro" "Pyro's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Heavy" "Football Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Engineer" "Mining Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Spy" "Spy's Helmet"
[http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=demomandivisionbythegr4.jpg]

HyruleanHyroe

Oct 30, 2008
It's called the downfall of TF2. It's slowly changing from an FPS to an RPG, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I have no problems with it. Valve knows what they're doing and it'll be interesting. It's still going to be the same old shooter, exploder, flamer game, nothing's going to change it. If anything we're overreacting over a few skins and maybe some more weapons. It's not like TF2 is going to become an RPG.

Nattaboy

Mar 2, 2009
I think Valve is going to release a system where you can create CUSTOMIZABLE WEAPONS. Yes, I said it, CUSTOMIZABLE WEAPONS.

This explains the new backpack with tons of slots, the option to delete items, etc.
You could make things to suit your playstyle, eg a pyro flamethrower that does 75% damage in front, 100% crits from behind, and air blast (fusion of basic flamethrower and backburner)