TF2 Sniper: British or Australian.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Legendsmith said:
Astoria said:
Pretty sure that's an Aussie accent coming from his mouth.
Mr. 47 said:
Aussy. British is a whole different accent.
The sniper's accent is what Americans think Aussies sound like. The voice actor isn't Australian and any Australian can tell it's faux.
Nit picking. It's clearly meant to be an Aussie accent.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
xXGeckoXx said:
As you can see the argument is not that he speaks like a brit but that his australian acting is not perfect so yeah. There is an argument. Also "Wanker" is a lot more British than Australian.
Hungry Donner said:
"God save the Queen," also sounds far more British than Australian.
Remember, this is the 1960's, there was much more reverence for the monarchy then even in Australia (you should see what a parade the held just for a visit from the Queen), many were still proud to all be part of the British Empire united under one monarch.

But over the proceeding decades it died down considerably and Australia and UK have definitely gone their separate ways.

I hate to split hairs here but a Brit would say it more like:

"Yeeew wanKER!" (rhyming with "banker")

while an aussie/kiwi:

"Yah wanKAH!" (end syllable rhyming with "cheetah")

But both would use the epithet.

Apr 5, 2008
It's very clear he's australian. The only Brit is the Demoman.

Medic - German
Heavy - Russian
Scout - American
Soldier - American
Spy - French
Demoman - British (Scottish to be more specific)
Sniper - Australian

Nackl of Gilmed

Sep 13, 2010
Wow, I had no idea he was meant to be Australian. That stereotype accent is insanely far removed from the reality.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
KingsGambit said:

Medic - German
Heavy - Russian
Scout - American
Soldier - American
Spy - French
Sniper - Australian
This
Also he drives along the outback at the start... so yeah hes australian
(I can never spell that word I'm sorry)

Also these are all overly overly done stereotypes

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Zhukov said:
How is this even a question?

Next up, the Heavy: Russian or Chinese?
Oh please.

He's obviously Korean.

Just look at his hands!

(Hooray nonsensical arguments!)

Apr 17, 2009
Lonely Packager said:
I hope he's British, because I've never met another Australian that speaks in that ridiculously stereotyped way he does. Valve probably thinks we all use kangaroos as our only mode of transport or something.
In case you hadn't noticed all the accents are ridiculous stereotypes. Or did you think all French spoke like the Spy? The whole point is that TF2 is cartoony and over-the-top

Nackl of Gilmed

Sep 13, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Nackl of Gilmed said:
Wow, I had no idea he was meant to be Australian. That stereotype accent is insanely far removed from the reality.
You find that's often the case, but that is indeed the stereotype Ausie accent. Atleast the stereotype most the UK and America have of it.
Now that it's been pointed out to me I can hear what it's going for, but obviously what it's going for is pretty much completely different to the accent I hear every day.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
I sure hope this is supposed to be a joke topic. Stereotypes or not, how anybody would even entertain the idea that he is supposed to be British is beyond me.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Lonely Packager said:
I hope he's British, because I've never met another Australian that speaks in that ridiculously stereotyped way he does. Valve probably thinks we all use kangaroos as our only mode of transport or something.
Personally I relish the chance to tell pople from other countries that we all just have pet Koalas and farm Kangaroos and shit. XD

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
He's Australian, that's simple enough. And of course it's over the top, that's what TF2 does.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Lonely Packager said:
well this does take place in '69, so there's that. i don't know if that means anything. but if you want a really stereotyped Australian look at saxton hale, or SAXTON HAAAAALE to his friends

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
GideonB said:
KingsGambit said:

Medic - German
Heavy - Russian
Scout - American
Soldier - American
Spy - French
Sniper - Australian
This
Also he drives along the outback at the start... so yeah hes australian
(I can never spell that word I'm sorry)

Also these are all overly overly done stereotypes
Not the outback, and not anywhere in Australia, he is either in Europe (unlikely) or North America (Likely the U.S.) He is on the wrong side of the road and the wrong side of the car.

Yeah, he is meant to be Australian but that accent is all over the place. Not nearly as bad as Robert Downey Jr's dodgy Robin Leach impression from Natural Born Killers though.