TF2 Sniper: British or Australian.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
Australian accent and Australian slang and Australian archetype character...yeah, it's British.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
If anyone takes offence at the Sniper's accent they should really take offence at everyone who isn't the Pyro. =p The Demoman doesn't use an accurate Scottish accent, the Medic's German accent is by no means accurate (but then, Robert Atkin Downes can't fake accents even if they're meant to be serious), Heavy's Russian is also exaggerated, so really, you can't raise question marks with one and just blindly accept the other.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Superior Mind said:
*snip*the Scout is a Brooklyn scumbag,*more snip*
boston, actually. sorry to waste a whole post saying that but most people don't seem to get that.

http://www.tf2.com/classes.php?class=scout#movie

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Wow, I'm surprised. I didn't think there could be any doubt that he was Australian. I mean, he's the perfect stereotype, talks about how that's how things are done "in the bush", he says "mate", "crickey"... Never crossed my mind that one might think he could be British.

rreetteepp

May 2, 2011
Jun_Jun said:
I'm an Aussie and he sounds like a Brit that has been smacked in the head a bit too much with a cricket bat :p, really doesn't sound like an Aussie to me, I thought Valve would've been able to scrounge up a Aussie just for the voice acting, guess they went with an american :/
I think they pretty much went with Americans for every characters voice acting... Also I dont think they ever meant to make them all have realistic accents its all pretty much for comic value

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
His "Meet the sniper" video is set in Australia.

He has an Australian accent (Its similar to British but if you are from either you can tell the difference)

He uses Australian phrases and slang (G'day)

All his items are Australian themed (Sydney sleeper ect)

His bio says he Australian.

He might not sound perfectly Australian but that's more to do with the fact his voice actor (John Patrick Lowrie) isn't a Australian.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
xXGeckoXx said:
I too originally thought Australian but heard some much better arguments for British a while ago.

What's your take?
<youtube=WrjwaqZfjIY>

Cus you know, it's not like the clothes give it away or anything?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
octafish said:
GideonB said:
This
Also he drives along the outback at the start... so yeah hes australian
(I can never spell that word I'm sorry)

Also these are all overly overly done stereotypes
Not the outback, and not anywhere in Australia, he is either in Europe (unlikely) or North America (Likely the U.S.) He is on the wrong side of the road and the wrong side of the car.

Yeah, he is meant to be Australian but that accent is all over the place. Not nearly as bad as Robert Downey Jr's dodgy Robin Leach impression from Natural Born Killers though.
As dumb as it is to assume someone is Australians just because they drive through (what one assumes is) the Australian outback (to spite it obviously being monument Canyon of Colorado) it's just as bad to say he isn't Australian just because he is driving through America.

He's an international assassin, and several TF2 maps are clearly set "somewhere in the American Midwest" also the locale for all those wile E coyote cartoons. He is driving to work, though phoning home on a payphone... I wonder if he did a collect call?

I don't get why I heard so often Australians being so touchy about their accent, far out of proportion it compared to other cross national accents/impressions:

You don't hear Americans constantly bitching about Greg House's accent

You don't hear Brits bitching about Downey jr's accent in Sherlock Holmes

Where is this wonderful Australian sense of humour? The thick skinned, salt-of-the-earth, practical types? I think the last thing we want are slick metrosexual business types, we have enough of them already and I think anyone would choose Paul Hogan over Rupert Murdock, any day of the week, any decade.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
viking97 said:
Superior Mind said:
*snip*the Scout is a Brooklyn scumbag,*more snip*
boston, actually. sorry to waste a whole post saying that but most people don't seem to get that.

http://www.tf2.com/classes.php?class=scout#movie
My mistake. Should have known but got mixed up. :)

Terminally Chill

Jun 21, 2011
Kushan101 said:
He's supposed to be Australian. Says things like "thats how we do it in the bush" and he doesnt say "Mate" like people in blighty do, he says it in that Australian "Mayte" kinda way.
Speaking as a UK native, if that lends me any kind of authority :|
Nice avatar, love Chris Morris.

There are kinds of accents within the Australian accent depending on class/heritage so I think the guy who voices Sniper does it well, not everyone sounds the same here. Some of Sniper's phrases are very outback Australian in particular... I grew up in rural Australia and they're mostly familiar to me. I wouldn't be expecting a perfect depiction of an Aussie from the bush from a game like TF2 anyway. All the characters with known origins are stereotypical in some way or another.

With that in mind, Scout is most definitely from Boston, not anywhere in NYC.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Ive allways argued that he ISNT australian.

In the TF2 Universe, Ever single Australian Is 1: Very Muscular (Sniper isnt)
2: Has a large Moustache (Even the women- Sniper doesnt)
3: Enjoys Lager (Sniper is never- EVER- seen with alchohol)
4: Has exteme ammounts of Chest Hair (Presumably, sniper doesnt)
5: Follows a King, Elected by a Kangaroo Boxing match. (Sniper clearly yells "GAWD SAVE THE QUEEN" at the start of some rounds, so why would he "Save the Queen"? It would be weird for a Utopia of Burly men and women to follow a Foerign Monarch, wouldnt it? And this is also considering that even in the real world, Australiant dont follow the Queen of England)

And remembering that Australians are the best in the world in "Every single way", i expect that it wouldnt be too uncommon for people to try and jump on the bandwagon and say "Im Australian! Im Awesome!"

The only evidence that goes for him being Australian is that in his Concept Bio it said hes from Australia.

And it wouldnt be the first time that ValVe has taken back what theyve said about TF2 Lore; For example, The Pyro, Man or Woman? ValVe is constantly saying "He" and "She" and even "It" at times.

But i wouldnt nessicaraly say hes British.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Treblaine said:
snip

I don't get why I heard so often Australians being so touchy about their accent, far out of proportion it compared to other cross national accents/impressions:

You don't hear Americans constantly bitching about Greg House's accent

You don't hear Brits bitching about Downey jr's accent in Sherlock Holmes

Where is this wonderful Australian sense of humour? The thick skinned, salt-of-the-earth, practical types? I think the last thing we want are slick metrosexual business types, we have enough of them already and I think anyone would choose Paul Hogan over Rupert Murdock, any day of the week, any decade.
Is Hugh Laurie's accent bad? I thought it was quite good. Same with Ewan MacGregor's. I posted the Downey clip because it is the most comical Australian accent I have ever heard. Especially when compared to the one he uses in Tropic Thunder which was pretty spot on.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
DarkRyter said:
You know guys, I've been thinking the Engineer's Canadian.
The fact that Engy is Texan has been proven by lore. Engy's Ancestor is definitivley shown as Texan (Due to a Australium "Mutation"). I mean, its possible that hes Part Canadian, but it would be irrelivant in the greater scehem of things.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Jimmybobjr said:
Ive allways argued that he ISNT australian.

In the TF2 Universe, Ever single Australian Is 1: Very Muscular (Sniper isnt)
2: Has a large Moustache (Even the women- Sniper doesnt)
3: Enjoys Lager (Sniper is never- EVER- seen with alchohol
4: Has exteme ammounts of Chest Hair (Presumably, sniper doesnt)
5: Follows a King, Elected by a Kangaroo Boxing match. (Sniper clearly yells "GAWD SAVE THE QUEEN" at the start of some rounds, so why would he "Save the Queen"? It would be weird for a Utopia of Burly men and women to follow a Foerign Monarch, wouldnt it? And this is also considering that even in the real world, Australiant dont follow the Queen of England)

And remembering that Australians are the best in the world in "Every single way", i expect that it wouldnt be too uncommon for people to try and jump on the bandwagon and say "Im Australian! Im Awesome!"

The only evidence that goes for him being Australian is that in his Concept Bio it said hes from Australia.

And it wouldnt be the first time that ValVe has taken back what theyve said about TF2 Lore; For example, The Pyro, Man or Woman? ValVe is constantly saying "He" and "She" and even "It" at times.

But i wouldnt nessicaraly say hes British.
These are all very good points with a strong internal logic. Except Queen Elizabeth II is the Australian head of state with the Governor-General acting for her in most matters.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Um...no. The character is obviously a huge caricature of Australian stereotypes complete with ridiculous accent. Just like how every other character in the game is a collection of insane stereotypes held together with an over the top accent.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:
DarkRyter said:
You know guys, I've been thinking the Engineer's Canadian.
The fact that Engy is Texan has been proven by lore. Engy's Ancestor is definitivley shown as Texan (Due to a Australium "Mutation"). I mean, its possible that hes Part Canadian, but it would be irrelivant in the greater scehem of things.
And there's the joke