TF2 Sniper: British or Australian.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
He may be massively steryotyped, but that makes you sound even more staggeringly, shockingly silly for even considering that he could be British...

I mean, of course Aussies don't actually sound quite like that, but that's what everyone (apart from you, apparently) THINKS they sound like.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ydkwidrmw said:
I'm Australian and no Australian I know talks like the sniper. Of course, all the foreign accents are offensive stereotypes in TF2.
Today maybe, TF2 is set in the 1950's/60's.

I've listened to recordings of English people the same age as TF2 Snipa (40's) from 1950's/60's vintage, and they sound nothing like English people today.

Listen to the way he rolls the syllables in "the weather tomorrow" (at 0:39) no one speaks like that in 2011! Find some old Australians, REALLY old, who would have been middle-aged 50 years ago, what do they sound like?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
As an Australian, I can tell you that the Sniper is supposed to be an (albeit extremely stereotyped) Australian. However, it is really obvious to me that it's a British voice actor putting on an Aussie accent...so in summary, character = Australian, voice actor = British

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
Lonely Packager said:
I hope he's British, because I've never met another Australian that speaks in that ridiculously stereotyped way he does. Valve probably thinks we all use kangaroos as our only mode of transport or something.
Yeah, and all Russians are massively muscly gun nuts, all Frenchmen are chain smoking spies, all Germans are ex-nazi sadistic doctors, and all Scottish men are black and only have one eye.

Get some humor, mayte.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Definitely Aussie. Surprised the hell out of me when I first heard him speak. :p

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
the_green_dragon said:
Lonely Packager said:
I hope he's British, because I've never met another Australian that speaks in that ridiculously stereotyped way he does. Valve probably thinks we all use kangaroos as our only mode of transport or something.
Hey Mate, you must be one of them city boys. Out ere in da bush we all use them Kangaroos to help us get to da shops and to work.
You guys still use kangas? I myself switched to Emus a while back, fasta' 'n cleana to run, mate.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Well on account that he speaks with an Australian accent, uses Australian colloquialisms, states that he's from "the bush"....

I can only assume that he's British /sarcasm

Vinculi

Jan 15, 2009
Lonely Packager said:
You said "They sound like this here person off Dead Island". You just need to put two and two together to see that only someone who has never gone into a city or suburb in Australia comes to that conclusion (Caves, though, that's new, no where did I also mention anything about caves) because the average Australian DOES NOT sound like some stereotyped character off a video game. I don't know ANYONE, myself included, who sounds like that person off Dead Island. Because I wasn't saying that you think 'we all live in out in the desert', but that you haven't met an adequate amount of people living in a non-rural area, otherwise your outlook would be different. Because yeah, we have a different accent, but that blatant stereotype off Dead Island (and the TF2 sniper), that you said Australians sound like? Ridiculous. But like I said before, keep your generalisation if nothing can change your mind.
Also, your extensive vocabulary amazes me. Sorry for 'attacking' you.
Dude, relax, plenty of "strayans" do sound like that, and he wasn't implying anything about Australia (being one of the world's most urbanised countries and all), he was just speaking from his own experience.

There are also plenty of people who sound like the sniper, granted, some of the slang and mannerisms are overdone, and he doesn't swear nearly enough to sound like the people I know with that kind of accent.
I actually enjoy hearing the sniper's accent, he makes me laugh, its just a shame I suck at sniping.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
He sounds like an Englishman failing at faking an Aussie accent. It doesn't sound very Australian, but you can tell it's supposed to.
Also, I'm Australian so I'd like to think I know how my own accent sounds.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
If you?re Australian you think he's Australian
If you?re British you think he's Australian
If you?re American you get the two confused

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
The Sniper couldn't be more Australian if you tied him down to a kangaroo and slapped 'im on the barbie.

Also remember that all the TF2 nationalities are parodies. So yes, the Sniper is steriotypically Australian rather than Australian, just as the Spy is a well spoken womaniser Frenchman, the Medic is a German sadist, the Heavy is a big blunt Russian bear, the Engineer is a good ol' boy Texan, the Scout is a Brooklyn scumbag, The Soldier is an American war-hawk, the Demoman is, (aside from being black,) a drunk Scottish brawler and the Pyro is... well we'll see.

Point being, the Sniper is a 100% dinki di Aussie. Australian accent. Australian clothes. Australian language. Australian sensibilities. Australian-themed equipment. Australian background story - not to mention that with the TF2 universe being heavily influenced by Australia, (Saxton Hale, Mann Co, Australium,) it makes perfect sense for there to be a heavily Australian character.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Lonely Packager said:
Nor have i met another British person like that!?

And the Sniper is Australian OP, just in case people haven't told you that enough yet.
And don't be silly!

British people can never be portrayed in a positive light, NEVER!

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Astoria said:
Pretty sure that's an Aussie accent coming from his mouth.
Mr. 47 said:
Aussy. British is a whole different accent.
The sniper's accent is what Americans think Aussies sound like. The voice actor isn't Australian and any Australian can tell it's faux.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
though probably bern said:
his voice actor was not austalian(maybe it was british i can't be bothered to check again), but told to but on an australian accent.