TF2 Update: The Engineer With the Golden Wrench

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
TF2 Update: The Engineer With the Golden Wrench

At long last, the Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278342910&sr=1-1] Engineer is getting some love from Valve, including an epic, generation-spanning comic and the debut of the fabled Golden Wrench.

The Engineer is a humble man, eschewing flash and glory for effectiveness and results. His quiet reliability leaves him often overlooked amidst the chaos and carnage of the TF2 battlefield, yet without the rock-solid foundation provided by his various creations, many a team would collapse in disarray. It's nice to see, then, that the hard-hatted hero is finally starting to get the respect he deserves.

Expanding yet further upon the Team Fortress 2 lore is Loose Cannon [http://www.teamfortress.com/loosecanon/index.html], a lengthy comic telling the tale of not just the current Engineer but also his forebears, going all the way back to 1890 - which is apparently when the long-running conflict between the Red and the Blue first began. The game's deep connection with the mysterious land of Australia, a nation of "lager-pickled idiots" that just happens to be set atop the world's only "transformative" element, is also explored to hilarious effect.

From a more practical perspective, the Golden Wrench, which was discovered in the game's files following the July 1 update, has also apparently gone live. The Golden Wrench appears to be identical to its standard drop-forged steel counterpart, except that enemies killed with it turn into golden statues. Only five wrenches were supposed to drop but a bug in the drop system resulted in more being set loose, according to the TF2 Backpack Examiner [http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Golden_Wrench] says only 16 players currently possess it.

The odds are good that there's more to come for gaming's foremost practical problem solver, so keep an eye on the Team Fortress blog [http://www.teamfortress.com/] for updates!

Thanks to Sir Kemper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Sir+Kemper] for the tip.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
*Squee*

Nice to see them putting in some back story for this one.

Those 16 people must be hassled about where they got the wrenches all the time...

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Nice to see they are still updating what is a rather old game now... and without subscription fees...

I had my funtimes with TF2, I don't think I'll be attempting to get back into it though.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Banana Phone Man said:
Man I want to play TF2 badly now. God damn my brothers for blowing up the computer.
You're directly related to homeland terrorists?

This update is looking pretty splendiferous. Cann'ae wait.
Speculation as to what it will be at this point seems useless, but I really would like mobile buildings.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Am I wrong for immediatly thinking "The man with the Golden Wrench..."

(Please tell me someone gets the reference!)

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
The golden wrench is stupid IMO. It doesn't follow the valve formula of, its a new weapon, with a new ability or something, but it has a downside (Cant do this, or less dmg/ total health). And chances are, if your an engineer, you have probably got a dispenser in arms reach, you don't need the extra metal. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the wiki article.

EDIT: They removed it from the article.

Basically, when you kill someone with the wrench, you "Collected" the person you turned to gold, and turned them into metal for building engineer stuff.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Remember when this game was just about red and blue people shooting at eachother? It's so fucking complex these days I can't see how a new player would be able to figure it all out...

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Pielikey said:
Remember when this game was just about red and blue people shooting at eachother? It's so fucking complex these days I can't see how a new player would be able to figure it all out...
Err...it still is basically the same. Have gun. Shoot. That's it really.

Apr 28, 2008
So the pyro is really Lincoln.

It all makes sense now.

I LIKE THIS COUGAR'S PEPPER SAUCE!

Apr 28, 2008
Jaredin said:

The man with the Golden Gun?

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
This is kinda weird for a TF2 weapon. It seems so... normal. Rather tame, really. I wonder if any other class is going to get a golden trophy like this?

Speaking of TF2, I'm getting desperate. I'm trying to run it on Steam for Mac, but the servers are always too busy to handle my request. I've tried everything suggested on the FAQ, so if anyone has something to clear up the servers or my Mac, I'd appreciate it immensely.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
I CAN HAZ WRENCH?!
I've been waiting for an engineer update, but I guess this works for the time being. But what is the point of turning people in to golden statues?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Might be nitpicking here (in fact, I know I am), but the name of the comic is "loose Canon", not "Loose cannon"
IT'S THAT DEM THERE WORDPLAY!
Also, it starts in 1850 [http://www.teamfortress.com/loosecanon/04.html], not 1890.
Yeah, feel bad about your inaccuracies and having a life!

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Jaredin said:

Are you referencing the movie or the Alice Cooper song?

Because I haven't yet seen the movie.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Valve just had to do this while I'm on vacation without any acess to TF2 whatsoever... bastards.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Pielikey said:
It...still is. Sure you get new items, every now and then but that's hardly massively complex, and the comics are easy to follow alongside the fact that you dont need to understand them to play the game.