That One Boss...

Songblade

Jan 28, 2011
Not really a boss, but Vega in the original SFII ... f*#@!

I'd have to go retro and say the Red Dragon from Legend of the Red Dragon. 15000 HP, flaming breath and usually a powermove or two. F(#(#@(#@

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
NinjaSniperAssassin said:
krazykidd said:
OT: i want to say Elizabeth from Persona 3 , but she is a secret boss also so i won't count her , instead i'll choose the final boss from SMT: Strange journey . Good luck surviving the final boss and her final form , even at max level that boss is NOT easy . And she can still kill you in one turn if you are unlucky .
I imagine I would agree with you had I been able to reach the end of that game. Unfortunately, that would require beating
Ouroboros, and seriously, fuck that. The first form was doable, if difficult, but the second form? Nope, no dice. She constantly regenerates health, spams party-wide mass damage attacks, amd resists or absorbs almost every type of attack.
I stopped playing the game cuz I kept getting slaughtered. No other boss has ever done that to me.
Dude , i forgot about that one . Man when i got to him i was like , WTF what do i do! I actually thought it was a suppose to lose fight , until i lost , then NOPE GAME OVER . That was one frustratig boss seriously . But that's cake compared to the final boss.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Easily this guy.

He was also the last boss, and the one that pops your Phase Battle cherry. And he wasn't nice when he did it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Fenra said:
The Wykydtron said:
Uh there's this one boss in Persona 4 who literally turns around and bitchslaps you in the face in I think the third dungeon. It really spikes the difficulty, partly because Black Frost doesn't work against him. Black Frost is stupidly good in the second and third dungeons but he falls off hard after that, think Drake Sword in Dark Souls type falling off. Really good to absolute bollocks in a second.

Ok fine i'll name it but spoilers

Shadow Teddie if you don't realise who i'm going on about. Shadow Rise was deceptively manageable then BOOM FUCK YOU SHADOW TEDDIE IN YOUR FACE!
Persona 4 pulls that at least 3 times to my knowledge, once in the one you mentioned, second

adachi then goes to giant fog eyeball!

then
if shooting for the true ending final boss pulls the same thing, 2 phases

One of the very few games where on my first play through I started using guides simply out of paranoia of every boss pulling that

OT: for me it was the last boss in the first kingdom hearts, even before he goes into wierd space ship form , everything till that point had been a breeze but my defense seemed to be absolutely terrible and just one hit would practically annihilate me, so many almost destroyed ps2 controllers, I did it in the end at least

The thing with Adatchi is that it's supposed to be easy, at least compared to all of the previous Shadow bosses. It's a symbol of how Adatchi's Persona is weak because he has literally no Social Links (except perhaps one with Dojima) so your Personas are going to fuck him up. I can't remember why he goes into Eyeball Mode but whatever, that's kinda why I forgot it was a 2 stage one, because Adatchi is so shit XD

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Mikkaddo said:
the Divine Dragon's soul in Legend of Dragoon.

In the 4th disc, you go to the destroyed Winglie city of Mayfil, also called "The Death City" where the Winglies funnel the souls of the world to their ultimate judgement, which . . . by all indications is hell. During your trip there, you fight pretty much every dragon you fought previously in the game. Including the Divine Dragon. Except this time around, you don't have plot items to take out two of it's weapons and make the fight fair, and it's also scaled to a much higher level too, so you're at a HUUUUUGE disadvantage. Not to mention, chances are if you got this far, you're like I am and are ever ready for the sometimes impossible to be ready for boss fights and thus NEVER use dragoon form unless you know it's an important story boss. Since each of these fights are optional, basically being the choice of "freeing" the souls of the dragons or letting the dragons' souls all be funneled directly into Hell. (I guess the Winglies were so convinced of their own superiority they wanted to ensure Heaven had NO ONE ELSE in it.)

Gods on high how hard that fight is. Just . . . dammit . . . dammit Divine Dragon, and dammit Lloyd! stealing things he has no damn right to.
I see your Divine Dragon Spirit and raise you Lenus,round one. Yeah,you fight her half a game previous,but God DAMN she just doesn't fight fair! Once she took seven turns before I could get a move in edgewise! And she only SPEEDS UP as the battle progresses! Sweet mother of mercy,she's pure evil!

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Sp3ratus said:
The Harvester from Dragon Age: Origins - Golems of Amgarrak DLC. Granted, the biggest reason the boss is so hard is because of the terrible party you're given for the DLC. Rather than having your regular party from DA:O, you're given two dwarves and a golem, none of them a dedicated healer and one of the two tanks an average tank at best. It shames me to say, but I haven't been able to beat the boss on nightmare yet. I had to turn it down to hard, because I was consistently getting my ass handed to me. I plan to go through the DLC again some day, but with a mage, so I have the option of respeccing to either dedicated healer or Arcane Warrior. We'll see how it goes then, hopefully it'll ease things up a bit.

Ornstein and Smough is another example. I've beat Dark Souls numerous times and done most of the game solo, but these two, despite knowing the mechanics and their abilites very well, is such a pain in the ass. Artorias from the DLC is a worthy example as well, because he's just so damn fast and aggressive. I often see my 20 Estus flasks just dwindle away slowly and him nowhere near dying.

Also this:
Dansen said:
The Four Kings in Dark Souls.
The first playthrough isn't so much an issue, but when NG+ and so on, it's a nightmare.
I know what you mean that Harvester was a pain in the ass. Though when I finally did my Arcane Warrior playthrough on Nightmare it was really pathetic how fast he went down.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
The Four--

lRookiel said:
Yeah the four kings make the "block and be careful" approach go to fuck.

I'm on NG+ and it's ALOT harder than the first time I fought them ....
scorptatious said:
The Four Kings in Dark Souls new game plus were a ***** and a half to deal with. Eventually, after what seemed like a dozen or so tries, I found that if you get right in their faces, their sword do about half as much damage as they normally would. Not sure why, but I was all too happy to take advantage of that.
lRookiel said:
Yeah the four kings make the "block and be careful" approach go to fuck.

I'm on NG+ and it's ALOT harder than the first time I fought them ....
Dansen said:
The second cheapest boss fight in Dark Souls. If you aren't a tank or magic caster you are screwed. The worst part is that even though they have a shared health bar they revive if you don't kill them fast enough making it a dps race.

I saw a comment on youtube that accurately describes the BS of that fight.
"That moment when you find out that there are actually five kings..."
Fuck.
I actually just whooped their asses yesterday, though, on NG++. It was awesome, I have been leveling my Faith to join the Sunbro Covenant, so I used a Miracle I'd never used before--Magic Barrier, I think-- and I laughed as their magic attacks bounced off me. Since I didn't need a shield anymore, I two-handed my weapon, buffed it with Charcoal Resin, and just went apeshit. Took like eight minutes.

Anyway, since I can't really say them anymore, I'll instead say Artorias the Abysswalker from the DLC. He wrecked my shit for like three hours, and on the fight where I actually beat him I had used up 20 Estus, 2 Humanity, and 2 Divine Blessings. I had never used a Divine Blessing ever before.

Also, as a bonus because I think a Dark Souls boss is an obvious choice, I'm gonna come way the fuck out of left field and say the Shadow Queen from Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. I've only ever beaten her once in my life. I'll get to the end and she'll just dominate me.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Recently I had a lot of trouble with the Vizier from Two Thrones. I don't even know why, but he wiped the floor with me about 17 times.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Dethenger said:
Yea, I share that sentiment, the four(?) Kings didn't give me too much of a problem, since they share a health bar. Keeping with the Dark Souls theme, The Ceaseless Discharge wrecked my shit so many times I stopped counting.I finally just decided to stop trying to find clever ways to fight him and just come back in like 20 hours.

He actually has quite a tragic backstory, but it still felt great when I finally worked him over.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yunalesca from FFX made Brasca's Final Aeon look like a light lunch. Simin in GW2 was also horrific before she was nerfed back down to reality.

One of my "hard boss" memories is of the final boss (the wrestling match fight) from Donkey Kong 64... but it's been over a decade since I played that game, and if I revisited it now, I'd probably tell little-me to stop being such a newb.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
In Everquest, before the revamp in Cazic Thule, I'd take my Troll warrior down into the sewers to pull the Avatar of Fear all by myself. Warriors suck at soloing, and the Avatar was the boss of that dungeon, so it was a nasty fight. First time I killed him I had only a few hitpoints left. Never got the Ravenscale BP off the bugger, though - always just those damned Claws :/

Ah, good times :)

DeadRise17

Feb 23, 2013
God in the Simpsons Game. You're expected to do a dance routine that has nothing to do with any of the game's mechanics.

Never completed it.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Shadow Mitsuo from Persona 4......until somebody pointed out I should get Black Frost.

The Broodmother in DA;O made the Archdemon look like smallfry....but keep your tanks out of her range and you'll be fine.

The worst enemy I have ever faced wasn't even a boss.....but halted all my progress and made me ragequit Okami

THAT FUCKER

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Dansen said:
The second cheapest boss fight in Dark Souls. If you aren't a tank or magic caster you are screwed. The worst part is that even though they have a shared health bar they revive if you don't kill them fast enough making it a dps race.

I saw a comment on youtube that accurately describes the BS of that fight.
"That moment when you find out that there are actually five kings..."
Not true, all you need to be is good at dodging. Hell, there are people who have beaten them at quite a low level. I personally was disappointed with the boss fight, as I heard it was really tough. I think I died more times from forgetting to put on the ring than from the kings themselves. I do however agree that they can be a pain in the ass for the unprepared, and on later a play-throughs. I do find it funny that there is a 5th king though.

As for my contribution? Hrm...I would say Illidari Council in world of Warcraft. Back during burning crusade, it was one of the hardest fights I have ever encountered, if only because everyone needed to be on their toes. You fight several bosses at the same time which share a health bar. You have a rogue that randomly attacks people and puts a massive(at the time) dot on them. You have a priest which heals the group, as well as attacks. You have a mage that can only be tanked by another mage using spell steal, and a paladin which would buff a random member of his party, and make them immune to physical or magical attacks; he also hits like a truck. So all while everyone is either countering attacks or trying not to die, the mage also is throwing around aoe's like its nobodies business. I swear my guild was stuck on that one boss for a long time. They were harder than the main boss of the dungeon himself(Illidan).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
That one boss in ZOE2 that you have to 'grabbed to stop'.

To this DAY I have issues with it.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
The fire elemental boss in the first couple weeks of Guild Wars 2, before it got nerfed. It was plain insanity, 30 people and it was still whooping our asses. Then apparently a lot of people cried about it, and now the thing is a walk in the park.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
FrozenCones said:
Reporting in.

Everytime if fought him its been a townportal spamfest.
Oh yeah, that guy. He is a *****. Every time I play that game I always die at least several dozen times fighting him.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
JamesStone said:
...that turns a usually-smooth game into complete insanity.
...that just appears out of nowhere and spikes the difficulty so high that you are left speechless wondering WTF just happened.
...that no matter how many times you played the game, makes you his ***** in the first attempt at defeating him.

We all have That One Boss. For me, that's Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 2. Never playing the arena area much in KHI, I never faced Sephiroth before. I just come to the end of Hollow Bastion, and this one winged dude is waiting for me. I recognize olde Seph immediatly. The boss battle then begins. I try to attack, he blocks, and one attack from him kills me. Just like that.

I tried time and time again, to defeat him I had to grind to lvl.99, go to a GameFAQ to see what were the most OP moves, and create Ultima by going back and forth to collect the Orchaluims+.

AND EVEN THEN THE SON OF A ***** TOOK 27 TRIES TO KILL.
Yeah... you basically won the thread there. Also: LEVEL 99!? I coulda swore I could beat him at like 67 or something like that... and I was a freshman in High School! You see, the trick to beating him is leveling all your forms and equipping the abilities (fly, aerial dodge, jump) you gain from them. Then, you learn when to panic (rise dark winged angel attack... OH GOD THE MEMORIES) and also his move sets. Then you just beat. and beat. and beat and beat and beat. until he just one-shots you when you have JUST ONE MORE HIT TO TAKE HIM DOWN. ugh... Anyway, I'm pretty sure I got beat so hard my first try that I immediately looked up a FAQ. After that it only took about 10 tries.