That One Boss...

Nekron_X

Jan 30, 2011
hmm...i don't really have a lot of examples to be honest...most of the time when i struggle it's because, at least in RPGs, i do the minimal amount of grinding possible while just going form point A to point B so it's always my own fault for being lazy,which is sad because i love those games.The only i can think of for now is Rodin from Bayonetta. i was...completely unprepared for that fight when i decided to try it.-_-; though his normal attacks merely due more damage than most bosses, he has one move where he basically grabs you and destroys almost have of your health bar regardless of how high it is. there were only 2 upsides to that. one was getting the best sword in the game, and the other was managing to beat in less tries than someone i know who is MUCH better at the game than i am, 13 tries to his 20.I refuse to fight him again.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
Barroth
Great Jaggi? no problem
Qurepecco? peace of cake
Royal ludrorth? easiest of them all
Barroth? FOR GOD'S SAKE STOP CHASING ME SO I CAN AIM MY GUN AND SHOO- *fainted returning to camp*

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Sean Kay said:
I suppose this is a bad time considering I'm just playing it now, but FUCK Sundowner in Metal Gear Rising!
Oh, whats that? Didn't approach him at just the right time, at just the right angle and without a full blade bar?
FUCK YOU! Prepared to be destroyed by his stupid shitty exploding armour bullshit
Sun downer is not that bad :p though the end boss.. the senator T_T i had a alot of goes on him before figuring out all his forms and shit

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
FrozenCones said:
Reporting in.

Everytime if fought him its been a townportal spamfest.
Oh yeah, that guy. He is a *****. Every time I play that game I always die at least several dozen times fighting him.
ahhh ! i love Duriel.. in some masochistic way... first time you meet him you dont got any resistance at all.. he hits like a freighttrain... remember trying it with friends and we just got oneshotted and then portal party as you said :p

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Broderick said:
Dansen said:
The Four Kings in Dark Souls.
The second cheapest boss fight in Dark Souls. If you aren't a tank or magic caster you are screwed. The worst part is that even though they have a shared health bar they revive if you don't kill them fast enough making it a dps race.

I saw a comment on youtube that accurately describes the BS of that fight.
"That moment when you find out that there are actually five kings..."
Not true, all you need to be is good at dodging. Hell, there are people who have beaten them at quite a low level. I personally was disappointed with the boss fight, as I heard it was really tough. I think I died more times from forgetting to put on the ring than from the kings themselves. I do however agree that they can be a pain in the ass for the unprepared, and on later a play-throughs. I do find it funny that there is a 5th king though.

As for my contribution? Hrm...I would say Illidari Council in world of Warcraft. Back during burning crusade, it was one of the hardest fights I have ever encountered, if only because everyone needed to be on their toes. You fight several bosses at the same time which share a health bar. You have a rogue that randomly attacks people and puts a massive(at the time) dot on them. You have a priest which heals the group, as well as attacks. You have a mage that can only be tanked by another mage using spell steal, and a paladin which would buff a random member of his party, and make them immune to physical or magical attacks; he also hits like a truck. So all while everyone is either countering attacks or trying not to die, the mage also is throwing around aoe's like its nobodies business. I swear my guild was stuck on that one boss for a long time. They were harder than the main boss of the dungeon himself(Illidan).
I remember the council back in TBC!... and yeah i tried it before the nerf it then got later in other expansions.. where people go "thats easy" oh how i hated that council..

Jamese054

Aug 13, 2009
for me there's a couple. first is Dragon Age : Origins - Branka (i think that was her name) had me over the fence a few times, pretty sure i ended up restarting the entire game cause no matter what save i loaded with that character i just got squad wiped time and again. Second would have to be the Janos Audron from Legacy of Kain : Defiance and last the villain from Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase that final boss had me in beat me so many times i was in tears until i put that bastard down - don't you f****** dare judge me.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
EvilMaggot said:
Broderick said:
Dansen said:
The Four Kings in Dark Souls.
The second cheapest boss fight in Dark Souls. If you aren't a tank or magic caster you are screwed. The worst part is that even though they have a shared health bar they revive if you don't kill them fast enough making it a dps race.

I saw a comment on youtube that accurately describes the BS of that fight.
"That moment when you find out that there are actually five kings..."
Not true, all you need to be is good at dodging. Hell, there are people who have beaten them at quite a low level. I personally was disappointed with the boss fight, as I heard it was really tough. I think I died more times from forgetting to put on the ring than from the kings themselves. I do however agree that they can be a pain in the ass for the unprepared, and on later a play-throughs. I do find it funny that there is a 5th king though.

As for my contribution? Hrm...I would say Illidari Council in world of Warcraft. Back during burning crusade, it was one of the hardest fights I have ever encountered, if only because everyone needed to be on their toes. You fight several bosses at the same time which share a health bar. You have a rogue that randomly attacks people and puts a massive(at the time) dot on them. You have a priest which heals the group, as well as attacks. You have a mage that can only be tanked by another mage using spell steal, and a paladin which would buff a random member of his party, and make them immune to physical or magical attacks; he also hits like a truck. So all while everyone is either countering attacks or trying not to die, the mage also is throwing around aoe's like its nobodies business. I swear my guild was stuck on that one boss for a long time. They were harder than the main boss of the dungeon himself(Illidan).
I remember the council back in TBC!... and yeah i tried it before the nerf it then got later in other expansions.. where people go "thats easy" oh how i hated that council..
Indeed. I have no idea how many times we tried to beat them, but when we did, my god was it a great feeling. Everyone was screaming and cheering over vent! It was a great day indeed. We later then downed Illidan a while later, but had significantly less trouble with him. I would say we had trouble on Mu'ru as well in the Sunwell. He was a fun fight, but hard as balls to beat.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Just about all of them in that Y's III remake, Y's: The Oath in Felghana. About two of them were reasonable, but other than that it took me about 15-20 tries to beat the first boss and it never got any better from there... and this was on normal difficulty.

Making things even harder is that when you get each boss into critical HP they go into a berserk mode and become twice as difficult. Except for the few already mentioned reasonable bosses the only way I ever survived at this point was to follow suit and start mashing buttons, hoping I had just enough HP left to finish them off before they finished me.

DovaChiief

Jan 10, 2013
Does anybody remember that one boss in The Shivering Isles that was an ethereal copy of the player? Stats, armor, health, and reaaally powerful sword? Because I was a level 40 with kick-ass armor and awesome stats. The armor also had reflect damage, and chamelon, and resist normal weapons. Oh god I got my ass kicked so hard that first time.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
JamesStone said:
I tried time and time again, to defeat him I had to grind to lvl.99, go to a GameFAQ to see what were the most OP moves, and create Ultima by going back and forth to collect the Orchaluims+.

AND EVEN THEN THE SON OF A ***** TOOK 27 TRIES TO KILL.
... I really don't remember him being that bad =S I think I killed him first time with the Ultima weapon at level 70. Were you playing this game on the hardest difficulty setting? He is seriously a pushover compared to the first game. KH1 Sephiroth required me being level 100 with the Ultima weapon (although I could then beat him fairly easily).

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Mossberg Shotty said:
Dethenger said:
Yea, I share that sentiment, the four(?) Kings didn't give me too much of a problem, since they share a health bar. Keeping with the Dark Souls theme, The Ceaseless Discharge wrecked my shit so many times I stopped counting.I finally just decided to stop trying to find clever ways to fight him and just come back in like 20 hours.

He actually has quite a tragic backstory, but it still felt great when I finally worked him over.
Did you fight him head on? If so, hats off to you, sir. The way most people do it is the impossibly easy way where they just run back to the fog gate after nicking the clothes. There's a gap that he will try to jump, but he won't make it. Easiest win in the game, technically, but I wouldn't dream of fighting that beast head on, he'd tear me apart.

And yeah, that's a common theme with a lot of bosses in Dark Souls. Very depressing game, actually.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Sean Kay said:
anthony87 said:
Fucking Monsoon in Metal Gear Rising. I've played the game so much that I can pretty much dance around all the bosses but Monsoon....

At least the music for his fight kicks ass.
Please, tell me how the fuck you're meant to beat Sundowner. Everytime I try to slice up his shield the angle is all wrong and I screw it up. I only start with one health pack so I can't last long enough to just run in circles and chip his health away either, I've tried that
It took me a few tries as well, and i still messed up a lot. You can cheese him by only going for his back, but if you do so you will rob yourself of the second phase and will regret it once you have to fight the final boss and his instakill boulders.

Aeonknight said:
Easily this guy.

He was also the last boss, and the one that pops your Phase Battle cherry. And he wasn't nice when he did it.
He was the only phase I ever had troubles with. No wonder they made him the protagonist in the sequel triology.

OT:

This guy here. thanks to the horrible controls of Clock Tower 3 this was easily the boss i had the most troubles with in any game i ever played.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Recently, I've been trying to beat Titan mode on God of War 3 but Hades keeps owning my ass. Being stubborn and persistent I refuse to look up any online guides for help. This shit will not break me !

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Metal Gear Rising's final boss really pissed me off on Hard Mode (my first playthrough) with those boulders. Every time he threw them I panicked and flicked the stick accidentally or in the first times case, never knew there was multiple cutting layers. It took me 5 hours to calm down, and get his attack pattern sorted (I only had one nano-paste, which was a *****).

Now that I've got it down however, he's probably my favourite boss in the whole game. Still challenging, but fun, with an awesome song behind him.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
CoL0sS said:
Recently, I've been trying to beat Titan mode on God of War 3 but Hades keeps owning my ass. Being stubborn and persistent I refuse to look up any online guides for help. This shit will not break me !
I did that and I do not envy you in thy task. Thankfully everything after Hades is nowhere near as bad until the Crystal Scorpion (who is full of bulls**t) then I didn't even try the fire Cerberus because only a madman would. I got on top of the labyrinth and quit forever.

Good luck with Hades, remember to save Blade of Olympus mode until his second phase.

MidnightSt

Sep 9, 2011
Cyborg Ninja in first MGS. He almost drove me insane, after about tenth failed attempt, I was officially scared just to begin the fight again, after 15th attempt, I was scared and angry... I have no idea how many times I tried until I finally beat him, but the funny thing is, that immediately after that, I realized how easy the battle was, and re-played it two more times, winning both effortlessly.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
ornstein and smough from dark souls. You've come all this way, finally ascended to the heavens to the wonderful castle of anor lando, passed through it and low and behold...the double boss.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Dark souls Capra Demon - almost rage quit

Deus ex: HR- Barret - my stealth Jenson had a boss battle thrust upon him and I wasn't used to playing the game as a cover shooter so I had a mind fart whenever the fight started

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
FrozenCones said:
Reporting in.

Everytime if fought him its been a townportal spamfest.
I remember that this guy made me cry when I was a kid. I also remembered how he massacred everyone during those Battle.net sessions during my teenage years.

Other than Diablo, this is probably the toughest fight in the game. (Diablo is kinda very very tough when you really didn't know how to exploit him).

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
The only one that springs to mind at the moment is Motaro from Mortal Kombat 3 / Trilogy. Not only does he have far more health and does far more damage in typical boss-style; he passively reflects almost all projectiles back at you and is simply immune to the very few exceptions, can teleport right next to you as often as he wants, has a very powerful grab that can be done immediately after a teleport or during your attack animation, can fire up to two explosive projectiles simultaneously, has a very long range trip move that can hit the player from half-a-screen away, sends the player flying across the screen if they don't block his attacks, and his attacks stumble the player while doing a lot of chip damage if they actually do block the attack. He's so incredibly OP, that not even Shao Kahn (the final boss) stands a chance against him, and Shao Kahn's infamous for his bullshit.