That one genre you will always love.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Platformers, primarily the 2D type, but I still love 3D platformers. I grew up with Mario and Sonic, and my love of platformers has never died. Pretty much every generation there will be at least one platformer (normally more) in my top 10 from that generation. Sure, it also is the genre that has arguably turned out some of the worst games and mechanics imaginable, but I still love it none-the-less.

I also have to put in RPGs. I didn't start getting into them until only a few years ago, but it's the only other genre that has grown on me the same way that platformers have. For some reason, it is just hard for me to hate games in the genre, no matter how hard they mess up at times.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
RPGs. All of them.
Turn based ones
Japanese ones
Western ones
Strategy ones
Open World ones
Linear ones
Story driven ones
They tend to have deep and interesting gameplay, story and mechanics. Some even have custoizable characters/teams. Really, what more could you want?

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
Metroidvanias
Good old EXPLORY dungeon crawl, Etrian Odyssey or Might and Magic: World of Xeen style.

LOVE them. So much.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
FPS's, even the bad ones have some dicking around potential to them and can be good mindless fun.
Metrovanias, 2D or 3D also count, but sadly not many come out nowadays.

I would say RPGs, but truth be told I get so nit-picky with stories unless it's really good I just can't enjoy them that much.

Chie

Jun 29, 2013
JRPGs and point and click adventure games. I grew up on them, and I am (mostly) immune to their faults

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Turn Based Strategy's.

Final Fantasy Tactics
X-com
Disgaea
Fire Emblem
and recently Scrolls

There's just something about these types that I love way to much.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Roleplaying games, regardless if it's they have roleplaying elements, if it's more action`y or what not.

That's one genre which I will never quit playing.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Visual Novels/Action games with VN elements.

Persona 4 and BlazBlue for the latter, BlazBlue does the impossible and writes a really interesting story and characters while still being a very solid fighting game. The trick is to not shove every character in the cast into every character's individual story mode. Persona 4 Arena struggled more than BB on the story front and Persona 4 was completely story and character driven to begin with.

P4A does still have some great moments, the entire Labrys story mode, Naoto's massive rant towards the end of her story mode and how they set up the Yosuke vs Aigis fight. Hell I wish Yosuke's story ending was the canon one but I guess that would have to be Yu's. Yosuke is a fucking badass in Arena.

Katawa Shoujo and Ace Attorney for straight up VNs, though AA does have great gameplay backing it up. KS may as well be renamed Feels: The Game

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
RPGs. For me there's nothing better than seeing your character progress and get stronger and stronger.

I like strategy as well, despite not being very good at them. Especially the Total War series. That satisfaction when your cavalry charges into the enemy's flank...

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Probably the Action RPG/Hack and Slash genre, games like Torchlight 2, Diablo, Dungeon Siege and Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes. I'm even planning on buying Dark Alliance 1 and 2 for my original Xbox just to quench my thirst for these loot driven games.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
RPG
I've never played an RPG that I haven't enjoyed. Even in the ones that are not that good of a games, I always find something interesting inside, something to make me continue playing and ignore the flaws.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Might as well use my post from the spin-off thread of games you hate.
DanielBrown said:
Is anime styled JRPGs a form of genre? 'cos that's the one type of game I absolutely cannot stand. RPGs are by far my favorite genre, but as soon as I see the cutesy envieroments/enemies/characters and the odd battle systems they usually have I lose all intrest.
So yeah. RPGs, western and eastern, as long as they aren't made for little kids.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Stealth games. Be it full on stealth like Thief or Dishonoured, disguise stealthing like Hitman, stealth/guerilla fighting like FarCry, the awful stealth of the Elder Scrolls or just the ability to fight quietly like the Arbiter missions in Halo 2 (and no, they aren't forced stealth sections). I hate forced stealth sections though, that's just "avoid all guards or die" or in Call of Duty it's "follow NPC and shoot that guy with a silenced gun")

I love the ability to just be hidden from sight AND complete my objective.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I think they are called "action adventure"?
I'm thinking of games like Zelda, Darksiders and Prince of Persia.
If the genre is called something else, feel free to correct me :D

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Guffe said:
I think they are called "action adventure"?
I'm thinking of games like Zelda, Darksiders and Prince of Persia.
If the genre is called something else, feel free to correct me :D
No you're right. I always thought that Prince of Persia was a platformer though, well mostly.

Action Adventure is just the term given to games with "hard to classify" genres like Shadow of the Colossus.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I guess the action adventure genre, specifically in the vein of Zelda games. RPGs, especially JRPGs really appeal to me, I've met very few I didn't like.

I like lots of games from lots of genres in general, just give me a good game in a specific genre, and I'll love it.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I will always appreciate a good brawler. No one has yet surpassed Urban Reign's gameplay, and that game was on the PS2. Absolutely brilliant. Considering it was a collaboration between Capcom and Namco, it was all win.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
First person rpgs. The concept us just so perfect for me. The character customization and growth of an rpg melded with the perfect perspective for role playing: the eyes of your character. I played Morrowind way after its prime (depending on who you ask) and I still throughly enjoyed it for the type of game it was