That point when you just gave up.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Every Mlp argument ever. Same with gun control, sexism, etc. With some topics, people just don't want to calmly discuss, they want to get mad and show how smarter they are than everybody else.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Criminal Minds. I lost interest at the sixth season, came back to it at some point during the seventh season, and officially left after season eight episode one.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
My home business: the day Etsy shut my shop down because I had a button that said "That's what she said". Apparently NBC has a trade mark on that phrase and they combed through Etsy looking for it and had all shops using it in any way shut down.

I had such grand dreams of living off my home business. I'd spent three years building it up and, God damn it, I was almost there. Just to have it all torn away from me because I believed trade mark law when it said you can't trade mark commonly used phrases.

Now I know the check the trademark database whenever I want to do anything with any sort of text on it. But all those years, wasted.... I spent the next month in bed. Literally. I was so depressed my chest hurt and I barely showed up for my crappy job enough to keep from getting fired.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
RyQ_TMC said:
TheDoctor455 said:
I had even written a 20 page research paper on the ME series (mostly focused on the first game, with some mentions of 2 in it) for a class on Globalization... and I didn't simply get an A on that paper... my Prof. sent me an email saying she wished she could give me a better score than sodding perfect on the paper.
You made me curious. Is there any chance of seeing that paper?
Yeah, I put it up here on the Bioware Social Network.

Get it from the 'files' tab.

Link: http://social.bioware.com/project/8242/#details

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
In Gaming:

I used to be a hardcore Call of Duty fan right up until Modern Warfare 2, which aggravated me in so many different ways that I just gave up on the whole series.

In Life:

I gave up on ever finding a girlfriend a few years ago. It is extremely rare if a woman even acknowledges my existence, so hoping for something far beyond that is kind of silly.

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
LOST: Loved it at first. The whole backstory-thing was interesting... but everything went too far and long-winded. The mysteries promised an amazing resolution that never really came, same with all the cliffhangers, same with the plot. When I was already losing track, a summer break ruined it again, and I forgot about it. It was already running when I remembered, and there was no way following the plot anymore.

uchytjes said:
One Piece: the moment when I realized "this isn't ever going to end."
This. Boy, did they get sidetracked. After the first summer break, I thought "they'll sure get back to it and solve it now". After the second summer break, they were as far as last year. I guess. No idea if it was near half point of their goal.

Pokemon: As a kid, I was a huge Pokemon fan since the tv series started. Everyone had those overprized cards and toys that broke in minutes. My cousins came over and tried to play some cards off me, but I refused. One cousin later broke into my room to get them, got caught... but either he or someone else had already taken the cards. And nearby money I had saved up for months.
After that, this whole Pokemon craze seemed so idiotic to me, even things I used to love. I painfully realized for the first time what marketing meant. All I loved about Pokemon was tailored to make me love it, and now felt fake. Once you know something is fake, you can never look at it the same way.

Devil may Cry (what's up with that acronym anyway?): You want to make it your own brand, alright. But if you don't want to answer to "bitchy fans" and don't give a rat's ass about expectations, change names and title! Worked for 50 shades of grey.
Don't make it a reboot for all the wrong reasons. It's not awful by itself, and it should have been by itself, instead of ruining every chance of a faithful sequel. I liked Nero AND DMC2, btw.

Haruhi Suzumiya: Ever wondered how to wreck a riveting series with just one episode? Turn that episode into nine. If "Endless Eight" tells you anything, you know all about the following ramble.
Season 2 started meh. One episode was them having summer vacation, nothing plot-relevant happening. Yes, it's slice of life, but that didn't stop Season 1. Fair enough, the brainfuck is just warming up. When you watch the next episode, you'll be confused wheter you played the same episode again, or if they put the same one twice on the DVDs by accident. It seems to be the same, but the scenes are partially shot from different angles, or minor details changed.
It's explained at half point. The characters realize they're caught in a time loop, which caused them to lose most of their memories. They decide to keep playing along. The entire reason for those random variations is to show these loops are changeable, so if you know the cause (and that's obvious), you can break free.
When the time comes at the end of the episode, nobody has the balls to even try ANYTHING. It ends, and the next episode IS A FULL COPY OF THIS ONE. Including the ending where nothing happens. So the time loop stays up, meaning the next episode IS MORE OF THE SAME. And the next. They repeated this EIGHT TIMES until Kyon finally does the most obvious thing during the last 5 minutes. Good god, I used to like Kyon, now I hate him.
Imagine how mindnumbingly boring and frustrating this is. You don't know when this will stop or change, and you don't want to believe they'd repeat it again after the 5th time. Season 2 had 14 weak episodes, 9 of them were this. Just watch this for 3 hours: http://z0r.de/?id=2038
Though it was the only time I really felt connected to Nagato. She remembers every repetition (of ten thousands), but could only watch helplessly. Although being an android, she was dying of boredom. When watching this, you're in one boat with her. If THAT was their intent... Good job.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Silent Hill: Seeing footage of the recently-released Silent Hill V:

"Pyramid head... But but but... screw it, I have no faith in the new devs."

Yeah, I know, stereotypical and obvious, but it still was the limit. ;__;

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Naruto - the filler was just killing me.

Nintendo - never could warm up to motion controls

Kingdom Hearts - Constantly kept coming out with games on handheld instead of consoles

An active pursuit of women - how many times do you have to touch the stove before you realize you'll just get burned.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Vampire Rain. There's a part where you go 'round stabbing vampires with a knife. Apparently the knife has ammunition or degradation and you have to pick up more ammo/knives. I seem to have missed that particular bit of information and couldn't kill the ONLY vampire that was required to progress though the game.
Seriously, the game, while not terrible, is designed incredibly bad.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
TheKasp said:
A good meat and potato one would be great. :)

And I'm sorry that happened to you. It's a truly ironic situation that there's a very small subsection of the atheist community that are as zealously religious about their convictions as the "religious nutcases" they are supposedly against. Though, on the flip side, that Christian you ran into was one of the rare ones who don't see people as notches on a spiritual belt for conversion. So you were hit with both good fortune and bad fortune in the same day!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
The_Echo said:
uchytjes said:
Bleach: The whole vampire filler arc. I don't know why but I had no motivation to go on after that.
That's why I skip fillers. They ruin everything and are never good.

I'm actually happy to say I've never given up on a franchise. Or if I have, I don't remember it off the top of my head.
Oh god the filler @_@

One Piece I can take the filler, because it's usually just a crazy adventure on some crazy island, and to be honest thats what the main story is for the most part. I do skip any crossover shit it does though.

Naruto I can safely say after watching the filler arcs in the first series I@m glad I stopped watching the anime and started reading the manga instead, just to get around all the non-canon garbage that goes down in those filler arcs.

OT: Ratchet & Clank. After 3, it just wasn't the same anymore. It felt like the series was taking itself to seriously and it lost the silliness and tongue in cheek japery that made it so delightful for me.

Battlefield for me was killed by Battlefield 3, my opinions on this are well documented but here are some bullet points:

+ Unbalanced classes
+ Months to patch horrible abuses
+ Dat fucking USAS-Frag.
+ Terrible unlock order for Recon
+ Scope sway up the ass, making sniping a ball ache until you stick with 1 gun long enough to get a friggin bipod
+ Camping
+ Flying to unreachable places and proceeding to abuse
+ Jets are broken
+ Helicopters controlled like arse
+ There's more but fuck it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
When they "killed" Tony Almeida and he didn't even get a silent clock ticking. I watched the beginning 5 minutes of the following ep to confirm he was dead, and after that I never watched 24 again. Yes, I know they brought him back to life a couple of seasons later, but that was even more idiotic than killing him. He also showed up as a bad guy, which was very meh.

Gave up after the arc about the Christian guru and Sano falling in love with that girl who dies tragically. I thought it was poorly handled and ridiculously brief after the Shishio or whatever his name is arc

Brock had been replaced with some dunce Tracy with no personality except for his annoying eagerness, and I was fed up with Ash befriending every single Pokemon he met rather than try and capture him. It was CATCH 'EM ALL, dammit, not BEFRIEND 'EM ALL. Also the Poke games on the GameBoy were more than fulfilling my Poke needs

The game is just too damn glitchy to play. I gave up 40% in, because of a chopper mission
I suppose I too gave up on the Pokemon anime, I made it a bit further than that myself, but when they removed Brock AGAIN! I just was having none of it.

Still enjoy the games to this day though, event hough I hope X and Y do some interesting things to shake it up. A new type or two, a bunch of new type combos, a difficulty curve that doesn't spike and demand that I stop and grind.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
BanicRhys said:
The Simpsons: when I saw the Lady Gaga episode. I was a pretty tolerant viewer up until then, but that episode just made me snap.
I didn't like this episode either. What didn't you ike about it?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Malkav said:
Haruhi Suzumiya: Ever wondered how to completely ruin a riveting series with just one episode? Make it nine. If "Endless Eight" tells you anything, feel free to stop reading, because I gotta ramble.
Season 2 started just meh. One episode was them having summer vacation, nothing plot-relevant happening. I hate slice of life anime, but still love Season 1. This one was boooring. So I thought "Nevermind, next episode. Wait. I just watched this. Did I play the last episode by accident? No. Did they make a mistake with the DVDs? No, that guy has different clothes now, but... says the same.". Halfway in, the characters realize they've been caught in a time loop and mostly lost their memories, so that's why the episode is "repeated" with minor variations. Those changes aren't interesting by themselves and have no meaning other than to establish that the time loop can play out different every time, which means it can be broken if you know the cause and stop it. Scenes play in different angles. But not in different point of views, which might have made it interesting... The characters must act like they didn't know about the loop, until the end, where a chance to break out comes up. And they let it slip.
Next episode. The whole thing all over. Nobody does anything at the end. Next episode. The same. Next one, exact copy. Got your hopes up for the next? Nope. Next one? Nope. Had enough? Watch it again, see how Kyon still does NOTHING at the end, after SEVEN TIMES. To think I ever liked the guy...
It's EIGHT repetitions, so 9 of 14 episodes in the season are already more boring and frustrating than Twilight, and the rest doesn't make up for it. I've been torn apart by fans for... questioning this.
Gotta give it something. This is one of the few moments I felt connected with Nagato, since you're pretty much in her place. She remembers every repetition (of ten thousands), but can only watch as everyone is being a gutless moron. She's dying of inconceivable boredom. If they were going for that, good job.
I just read the stories, so to me, Endless Eight was just a fifty-page story. Ar you telling me that they made the exact same episode again and again? You're saying "Next one, exact copy." Was it an exat copy?

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
Queen Michael said:
I just read the stories, so to me, Endless Eight was just a fifty-page story. Ar you telling me that they made the exact same episode again and again? You're saying "Next one, exact copy." Was it an exat copy?
"Exact copy" isn't quite right, wasn't being clear.
The first episode is them having their summer vacation and Haruhi being unsatisfied. The second repeats this halfway, but they realize what's up about at half point, and decide to play along. So the episode repeats until the end, until their last chance to stop the loop, but nobody does anything and Kyon can't be assed to try. So the loop goes on. The next six episodes have the exact same pattern with no meaningful changes, only very few things that don't get repeated every time. Like talking to random kids, or not going swimming, or different clothes. It just means that stuff can change. The camera angles are different sometimes, but for no purpose other than to show they're not being lazy animators. The scenes still play almost entirely the same, word for word.
I heard the manga did it different, nobody complained about that.