That was your "Surprise"?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
quiet_samurai said:
Actually that is pretty surprising, seeing as how they said making a port the PS3 was not going to happen. It's a big move for them, not to mention the extra profit that will slide their way. Just think of it as this.... the more money they make.... the sooner they will be able to pay those responsible for making HL2 : Ep 3.
How much extra profit are they gonna make when they just said the 360 version will be crap. They just knocked off on side in favor of the other again.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Chicago Ted said:
Guys! I just got a new message from Gabe Newell regarding this announcement!

In light of what's just been announced, I forgot to add one thing onto our surprise. Without further waiting...

Oh, and for our Half Life fans...

-Gabe Newell

Anyone else feel this as being appropriate?
I like the way you think.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Just like how the PS3 version of Batman Arkham Asylum was supposed to be the "Best Console Version" of that game?

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Blights said:
Wicky_42 said:
What about for other systems?!
It will be coming to PC and Xbox, yeah, the PS3 apparently has the "Best Console Version" of the game.
You're bitter about that....why?
I will most likely look for the Mac version myself (or hopefully have a better PC by then to actually play games on).
But if I can't find that then I will go reluctantly with the PS3 version...

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Blights said:
-Samurai- said:
What exactly makes it the best console version? Did they intentionally put bugs and glitches in the other versions?

"Best" is always an opinion anyway. The only way it could be the "best" is if they intentionally screwed up the other ones to the point of being unplayable.
The game will have updates that the Xbox version will not have.

Since the PS3 now gets steam as well.
That's it? I hardly consider that making it "better".

This thing is being blown out of proportion. The important thing is, you can play it on anything you want...[small]except Wii[/small].

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I dunno, it sounds an awful lot like they might start forgetting to patch gaping holes in the game like they did for TF2 360.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Nomanslander said:
DragonChi said:
WHY in the holy hell is the BEST version of P2 only on PS3. WHY!? the portal franchise was pretty much aimed at the PC gamer fanbase.
Best console version, and the reason for that is steam is coming to the PS3, you see Microsoft and Valve have had a bit of a falling out over the issue of price tagging updates when Valve prefers it being free.

And since the PSN is now mostly free (Playsation Plus), the reason the PS3 version will be better than the 360 is the game will be more readily updated for that system.

PC version will still be the best version....
ah, IC. see, sometimes some people refer to PC's as consoles aswell. so I assumed he meant all platforms/consoles PC included.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Its just a big FUCK YOU to Microsoft for demanding a price be put on content updates that Valve usually releases for free.

Good for them.
Then you don't release the game on the 360. You don't allow an inferior version to be put on it. Well Valve you just lost one customer who owns both. Fuck me??? No FUCK YOU!!!!

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Blights said:
Really? REALLY Valve?

Valve announced there was indeed, going to be a surprise at E3 for them.

For those who have been watching the live E3 stream, Portal 2 was just announced for the PlayStation 3. It's said it will be the better Console version of the game.

What the fuck, Valve? You literally screwed a whole load of people over.

It's fine, I don't care, I think more people should buy the PC/Mac version, I just think they wasted the "Surprise", it felt like it could have been built up for more.

Anyway, what do you think of it?
Definitely a surprise, I don't think one person actually saw same-day PS3 Portal 2 release WITH Steamworks support coming to PSN being even a blip on the speculation radar. So, given that, one heck of a surprise. From my standpoint, one HELL of a disappointing surprise. I'm glad for the PS3 owners and all, and a little more pissed at MS and XBL's DLC/update practices as a result. (I'm looking at YOU Team Fortress 2!!!)

But yeah. Definitely a HUGE surprise. But for me, not a very enjoyable one. *grumbles*

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Yea... I was hoping for something on Half Life. We all knew Portal 2 was coming. GIVE US HALF LIFE GOD DAMMIT!!!

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
quiet_samurai said:
Actually that is pretty surprising, seeing as how they said making a port the PS3 was not going to happen. It's a big move for them, not to mention the extra profit that will slide their way. Just think of it as this.... the more money they make.... the sooner they will be able to pay those responsible for making HL2 : Ep 3.
Thats what we said about LFD2, I give up. I'm hoping on the Bioware band wagon, at least they don't hold info like their freaking Rockstar. Who's with me? (I'll start caring if they pull a trailer for episode 3 out thier ass or something, I'm sick of waiting)
Oh I'm with you. Not sure what will come first HL2 Ep. 3 or DMF.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
cieply said:
That will be made for consoles with their hadicapped aiming system.
Honestly, isn't it time you dropped your asinine platform flaming? You're only making yourself look bad.

I know lots of people who find controllers much more fun than a mouse (myself included, and I play games on both PC and console)

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
Blights said:
Really? REALLY Valve?

Valve announced there was indeed, going to be a surprise at E3 for them.

For those who have been watching the live E3 stream, Portal 2 was just announced for the PlayStation 3. It's said it will be the better Console version of the game.

What the fuck, Valve? You literally screwed a whole load of people over.

It's fine, I don't care, I think more people should buy the PC/Mac version, I just think they wasted the "Surprise", it felt like it could have been built up for more.

Anyway, what do you think of it?
I thought they were announcing the Source 2 engine at E3 this year?

MBurner 93

Mar 26, 2009
thebridgetroll said:
why don't you just buy a PS3? then you will be able to play the best version of the game and laugh at the PC and 360 guys playing the sub-standard version.
Not quite. They said that the PS3 version would be the best CONSOLE version. VALVe has always and always will be a primarily PC based gaming company. The PC version is going to be the best version, no doubt. Although I'm sure it will still kick some serious ass on the PS3.