That was your "Surprise"?

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
This thread is hillarious. There is maybe 12 people in here that actually understand that this whole announcement

A) Was hyped by the community not VALVe.
B) Has alot more to it (Microsoft:Valve/Valve:playstation) than Fanbase:Valve.

It's always funny to watch fanboys cry because they forget that there is a business behind this stuff, not just fun and games. It the irony of the business and it shows up everywhere. I don't get how people constantly forget this.

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Blights said:
Wicky_42 said:
What about for other systems?!
It will be coming to PC and Xbox, yeah, the PS3 apparently has the "Best Console Version" of the game.
You're bitter about that....why?
I will most likely look for the Mac version myself (or hopefully have a better PC by then to actually play games on).
But if I can't find that then I will go reluctantly with the PS3 version...
I'm not really bitter, I just feel VALVe should have announced this sooner and saved E3 for something cool, also, handicapping the Xbox 360 version of the game is a dick move.

I don't care TBQH, I'm getting it for PC, but I know people who will be very pissed off about this.

Fenolio

May 22, 2009
Guys guys guys.
PS3 Isnt getting a better portal 2.
ValVe is giving PS3 >>>STEAM CLOUD<<< integration.
This means when theres a new update, it will apply automatically.

It WONT have to go through sony. Meaning it will "Always be the best version" that is available at the time.

Xbox 360 on the other hand, their updates must go through microsoft which takes time / cash that Valve doesnt want to spend.

At least thats what i think happened, otherwise yeah, Valve screwed over 360 owners.

Still a poor surprise though :/ Seeing as how STEAM FOR MAC! wasnt at E3 and is as big if not bigger news...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
minxamo said:
don't like valve, don't like portal, but it does seem like gabe newell is stabbing microsoft in the back by deciding that ps3 will get a better portal version.
What do you mean "stabbing microsoft in the back"?

One, VALVe (specifically Newell) have mouthed off the PS3 for a long time, you're complaining that Microsoft's feelings are hurt?

Secondly, and most importantly I think, Gabe said that the reason it would be the "best" console version is that STEAM will be integrated with PSN, allowing VALVe to have full control over their content on the PS3 as they see fit. This means possible

I don't think the main point of the announcement was Portal 2 for PS3, rather the STEAM+PSN integration when Portal 2 comes out. Apparently this will allow cross-platform features and will allow VALVe to work with their games like on PC, so this may mean TF2 updates or even L4D going to PS3. I don't know, I'm just reading into the lines here.

Frankly, I don't get why VALVe Fanboys people are complaining, it's not like VALVe is suddenly giving up on PC (which is obviously the best best version of whatever game they make), but for people (specifically PS3 owners) who have crap-tacular PCs such as myself, this is damn good news after Gabe's constant mouthing off of the PS3.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
FargoDog said:
So wait, why does the PS3 get the best console version of the game? Some of us, y'know, have 360s.. They also make it sound like they're delibrately making the PS3 version superior, for no real reason. It's a bit of a slap in the face to be honest.
I'm guessing they mean that because of the apparant "STEAM+PSN" integration, allows them to have actual control of their games/content according to Gabe.

I don't know if I'm becoming a VALVe fanboy now, but I really am more interested in the "STEAM+PSN" integration than Portal 2 on PS3. They probably should have hyped that up a bit more since people are apparently missing that part of the "surprise".

EDIT: Now that I think about it, people are blowing this way out of proportion. People seem to do that alot with VALVe (I'll admit, I've done it myself). VALVe said there would be a good ole surprise at E3, fans everywhere go apeshit and list possibilities, VALVe then states that the surprise is portal related, and fans still go apeshit over whatever.

Then they announce the good ole surprise, everyone bitches because VALVe is finally expanding their games to a console that they (Gabe) previously hated? With Steam integration? All because he said "The PS3 version will be the best cnosole version!"?

PUH-leez, any good VALVe fan (which I am not) plays their games on PC anyway, why is this a kick in the teeth?

But whatever, I'm turning into a fanboy for VALVe ironically so seeing as how I bitched about them before raggin' on the PS3. Though the amount of adamant resistance to this is pretty sad.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
It kind of sucks that the announcement wasn't bigger, but there's no sense crying over every mistake... I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now.

Bad quoting aside, I play it on the PC so I'm not affected. Yeah, it's not a great announcement by any means but it's not really anything to rage over. Newell might seem a bit hypocritical here but money talks. Maybe Valve seems like a bit of a sellout at this point but I can guarantee that nobody will care about this after awhile.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
minxamo said:
well all i meant was that after valve creating software exclusively for the pc and more recently Xbox 360 for so long, them suddenly creating steam for mac, and making the better version of portal on Microsoft's rival system seems like a stab in the back.
I find that a bit petty. I mean really, VALVe/Gabe Newell mouths off the PS3 as being "too hard to work for" and when they finally develop for the Ps3 personally, with Gabe Newell eating his own words, it's now a bad thing? There's nothing wrong with VALVe expanding their audience and letting more people play their games. Why is it bad for VALVe to put STEAM on a Mac, a platform which is horrible for gaming, to allow people to play their games?

And I repeat, the reason why Gabe said the "better" console version of Portal 2 would be on the PS3 is -->Steam and PSN Integration<-- According to Newell, this allows them to control their own product, updating them as they like, unlike with Microsoft and Xbox Live all updates must be put through a process and according to VALVe they won't let them update their games without charging for them. If this is true, then this is nobody's fault but Microsoft's. You can't stab someone's back if they won't even let you in the room.

It's really sad that so many people are up in arms over a good thing. Just get Portal 2 on PC, or if you don't have a good PC, just get it for 360. I mean, really, how much "better" do you think the PS3 version will be quality-wise from the 360 version? Will the Ps3 version somehow be an entirely different game? Or will it have an extra GLaDOS line? People bitched all the time that the "PS3 has no good games!" and "most multiplatform games are better on 360!". Well guess what? Now it's out turn! [sup]MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!![/sup]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
minxamo said:
ok, calm down, like i said i don't like valve so i probably won't be getting portal 2 anyway
Well, I wasn't trying to sound overly aggressive. I just find it a little odd that people are whining about VALVe expanding it's audience.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
They didn't "overhype" anything, they just announced there was going to be a surprise, then fans and media jumped all over the place speculating about what it was.

The original announcement even hinted about the surprise being Portal-related, which was later confirmed by Valve itself.

So, really, what did you people expect? That they were lying about the surprise being related to Portal?

Ontoue

May 13, 2009
I love how the same people who told Ps3 owners to suck it up when Valve told us they weren't going to release any more games on the Ps3 are the same people who are losing their minds over this. But I'll probably just get the Pc version; with my brand new gaming Pc!! Woo! Go me!

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
thebridgetroll said:
why don't you just buy a PS3? then you will be able to play the best version of the game and laugh at the PC and 360 guys playing the sub-standard version.
Perhaps because not everyone can buy a PS3. It may or may not come as a surprise to you, but there can be a number of reasons why someone wouldn't be able to just drop over £200 on another console...