The 2021 Game Awards thread.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So this year's annual Game Advertisements are 1 week away, and before that sponsershipshow gets rolling I thought I would make a thread about predictions.

What do you want to see announced?

What updates would you like to see on previously announced games?

Will Schick Hydo Bot be back?

Personally I feel like everything I've been waiting for already has release dates and will drop early in 2022 (baring more delays). I only have a couple of games that I'd like more information on, but I feel like it might be too soon for either of them, and they both start with the words Final Fantasy. So i don't have a lot of hope to see anything worth being excited for this year.

However I feel like there are a few hype games that could possible show up that are about due for something to show up with them.

1. Starfield - Bethesda's next game is gonna be buggy and broken as every game they make is. This is a space RPG probably trying to be a Fallout/Elder Scrolls in space, much like The Outter Worlds. The game was announced....like 9 year ago or something stupid and needs to shit or get off the fucking pot. A Trailer, a vague release timeline, fucking something.

2. Bayonetta 3 - This was teased a number of years ago as well and I imagine we'd have to see something from this soon.

3. Breath of the Wild 2 - Another game that was announced a couple of years ago and it's been almost 5 years since the last Zelda game, so maybe it's about time for this thing to make an appearance.

4. Anything from Microsoft - seriously....it's just getting sad at this point. I'm glad Halo infinite Beta is out, but the next generation is over a year old and Microsoft has put out 2 and a half titles since the console launched. I just want to see something coming soon from them. Even if it's that Fable reboot they announced a while back.

5. My far out prediction, is something Bloodborne related. Either a Bloodborne 2, or a Ps5 remaster. Blu Point did an incredible job remaking Demon's Souls, and I think they could pull out a Bloodborne 2 pretty well especially if Sony gives them Bloodborne source code to play with.

Pipe Dream - Of course this wont happen, there is no possibly fucking way it happens. BUT if Final Fantasy 7 part 2 wants to have a trailer I wouldn't be mad about it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
So this year's annual Game Advertisements are 1 week away, and before that sponsershipshow gets rolling I thought I would make a thread about predictions.

What do you want to see announced?

What updates would you like to see on previously announced games?

Will Schick Hydo Bot be back?
I find it very funny that none of the questions most people have about the award show have anything to do with the awards. As filmmaker Martin Campbell once said, recognition is bullshit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll pull a Woolie, and say: "Yeah, that's
nice, but I really don't care.". There has been nothing going on in the VGAs for the latter half of the decade. Aside from Bayonetta 3, I'll just skip it; I can find footage later on YouTube.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'll pull a Woolie, and say: "Yeah, that's
nice, but I really don't care.". There has been nothing going on in the VGAs for the latter half of the decade. Aside from Bayonetta 3, I'll just skip it; I can find footage later on YouTube.
I agree fuck the award show, because the award handouts are bullshit anyway. BUT....the trailers. Let's be real, the trailers are the only reason why people watch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
BUT....the trailers. Let's be real, the trailers are the only reason why people watch
Which proves my point. There's literally zero gain for me. I don't need to see them getting industry masturbating themselves in a big circle jerk all day.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
So yeah games I'm looking forward to by 2022* (if some of these get released in 2022*)

Total War: Warhammer 3, Warhammer 40k: Darktide, Eldin Ring, STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl, and Breath of the Wild 2.

Starfield is stil not yet shown and Vampire Bloodlines 2 and System Shock 3 are Vaporware at this point

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
*shrug* I imagine my Google and YouTube feeds won't shut the fuck up about it and I won't be able to escape finding out about some game I'm vaguely interested in, but will forget to buy when it launches. ...damn I'm a terrible gamer.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Didn't they just reveal a bunch of info about starfield like a week ago?

I can barely keep up with the game that I have right now so I can't even really think of what's the next big games that are supposed to come out soon. Maybe a reveal for the next civ game? Maybe From soft will announce a new armored core game (keep on dreaming)?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Really, the only purpose of these awards ceremonies anymore is to let companies put "Voted Best Of" blurbs on their promotional art.
BUT....the trailers. Let's be real, the trailers are the only reason why people watch.
You mean the trailers that either consist solely of CGI or reflect something completely different from the released product?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
3. Breath of the Wild 2 - Another game that was announced a couple of years ago and it's been almost 5 years since the last Zelda game, so maybe it's about time for this thing to make an appearance.
Ummm, I think you'll find that Links Awakening was released in 2019. I know it was a remake, but still...

My work here is done, Pedantic Man AWAY!!!!!!!!

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wow Im honestly struggling to remember a single game that came out this year that I played. Hold on, lemme google.
I played the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, I played Evil Genius 2, and I played Lost in Random.
Of those, my top 3 would be ME: LE, Lost In Random and Evil Genius 2.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If these awards were going to mean anything this year, then they should really have all the people suffering abuse at ActiBliz and wherever else on stage at some point in a spotlight of solidarity to put the screws to their organizations’ leadership. Make a public show of it so more of the general public knows what’s going on, vs just nerds like us keeping up with the drama on forums.

Although who knows, that might mean that most studios’ games shouldn’t even be showcased. But maybe that’s the only way to really make the message stick. Or maybe something like, have them be the ones showcasing the games, with a “This is what we’ve been making through it all.” kinda tone behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentPony

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If these awards were going to mean anything this year, then they should really have all the people suffering abuse at ActiBliz and wherever else on stage at some point in a spotlight of solidarity to put the screws to their organizations’ leadership. Make a public show of it so more of the general public knows what’s going on, vs just nerds like us keeping up with the drama on forums.

Although who knows, that might mean that most studios’ games shouldn’t even be showcased. But maybe that’s the only way to really make the message stick.
That would be a hell of a thing to see, but sadly I don't think it'd do anything. Solidarity rarely translates into action. I've been putting off getting the Diablo 2 remaster, but I know I will someday. And most gamers are in a similar boat, in that they don't want to write-off entire games because of the actions of developers.
Hell even the #MeToo movement has had limited success in actually changing work-place behavior or getting new guidelines and laws passed, despite a few high-profile cases.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Although who knows, that might mean that most studios’ games shouldn’t even be showcased. But maybe that’s the only way to really make the message stick. Or maybe something like, have them be the ones showcasing the games, with a “This is what we’ve been making through it all.” kinda tone behind it.
They're only allowed to take a stand on important things like Konami being a prick to Kojima.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Geoff Keighley knows which hands feed him, Konami's wasn't one of 'em.
Yeah. Konami was kind of an easy target. It was already becoming less of a presence in the game industry and were clearly trying to distance itself from the industry in favor of gambling. So when having to chose between a third rate publisher that's on the way out, and one of the most celebrated creators of the industry then its an easy choice.

I heard the game awards won't go into the Activision allegations which is in line with this thinking. Because Activision isn't a third rate publisher on the way out. Its arguably the biggest third party in the medium.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm typically not someone who scoffs dismissively about the Game Awards. I'm not hyped for them but I consider them fun enough.

However the fact that Cyberpunk got nominated does little to stop me from scoffing. Cyberpunk was a humiliation and a laughing stock. Why is it getting nominated over objectively better games like Neo Twewy or Nier? The only possible explanation for its presence is the politics of video games, and that doesn't reflect well on the game awards. Putting Cyerpunk on there just because CDR Project red is a big deal kinda implies that it really is just the ''game advertisements'' instead of the Game Awards.

The same was true to an extend when it came to The Last of Us 2. But TLOU genuinely was the video game equivalent to Oscar bait. There were at least artistic reasons to want to give it awards, even if all those reasons were incredibly shallow. But Cyberpunk doesn't have that. Its just a laughing stock.