The 2021 Game Awards thread.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Game of the year should be interesting because there are no obvious winners in that category. Rooting for Metroid dread.

This is not been a bad year for gaming but doesn't seem to be any critical Darlings that would seem like the obvious winner.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Putting Cyerpunk on there just because CDR Project red is a big deal kinda implies that it really is just the ''game advertisements'' instead of the Game Awards.
The only award CDPR deserves right now is one for farthest fall from grace. Forcing employees to crunch, lying about doing so, lying about the state of the game on previous-gen consoles, and putting out such an obviously broken and substandard game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
However the fact that Cyberpunk got nominated does little to stop me from scoffing. Cyberpunk was a humiliation and a laughing stock. Why is it getting nominated over objectively better games like Neo Twewy or Nier? The only possible explanation for its presence is the politics of video games, and that doesn't reflect well on the game awards. Putting Cyerpunk on there just because CDR Project red is a big deal kinda implies that it really is just the ''game advertisements'' instead of the Game Awards.
Which adds an extra layer of why I won't be wasting time with the shitty "awards" show. I know Max_Dood is gonna be watching, but even he might not be able to keep me watching just for him and the crew. Cyberpunk should not even be nominated. I don't know anything about the first game you mentioned, but Nier: Replicant should definitely be nominated. I am not a big fan of Yoko Taro's game design either. All this does is show how broken and corrupt the system is.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Yep, this year's nominees have been weird.

Like, why is deathloop in so many categories? Isn't the general consensus that the game is bad/barely okay game? And Of course, COD: Warzone continues to be a nominee for best ongoing game. That being said, I am kinda glad to see Guardians of the galaxy being a nominee for many categories. I haven't played it myself, but I heard it's at least better than.... that other game.

As I've said in the general gaming news thread, I am more excited about the annoucement opportunities. I am hoping for:
  • FF16, given all we have so far is the trailer from sony presentation last year
  • FF7 Remake part 2, maybe?
  • Injustice 3, would be great after MK11
  • More on Elden Ring, or Bloodborne PC port
  • Maybe some nintendo games, like Metroid Prime 4 or BOTW 2 stuff
  • New Splinter Cell?
  • I'd love some more news on Dragon Age and Mass Effect, please
  • The Perfect Dark and Fable reboot news. It's your time to shine, Microsoft
  • Why do I get the feeling Kojima is gonna announce something big?
With all that said, I do not want to see too many indie games. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them and I certainly welcome them for jumping into the industry. But in every major gaming events like this they always seem to dominate the presentations, and I can see the chat/audience getting bored of seeing games they do not care about.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yep, this year's nominees have been weird.

Like, why is deathloop in so many categories? Isn't the general consensus that the game is bad/barely okay game? And Of course, COD: Warzone continues to be a nominee for best ongoing game. That being said, I am kinda glad to see Guardians of the galaxy being a nominee for many categories. I haven't played it myself, but I heard it's at least better than.... that other game.

As I've said in the general gaming news thread, I am more excited about the annoucement opportunities. I am hoping for:
  • FF16, given all we have so far is the trailer from sony presentation last year
  • FF7 Remake part 2, maybe?
  • Injustice 3, would be great after MK11
  • More on Elden Ring, or Bloodborne PC port
  • Maybe some nintendo games, like Metroid Prime 4 or BOTW 2 stuff
  • New Splinter Cell?
  • I'd love some more news on Dragon Age and Mass Effect, please
  • The Perfect Dark and Fable reboot news. It's your time to shine, Microsoft
  • Why do I get the feeling Kojima is gonna announce something big?
With all that said, I do not want to see too many indie games. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them and I certainly welcome them for jumping into the industry. But in every major gaming events like this they always seem to dominate the presentations, and I can see the chat/audience getting bored of seeing games they do not care about.
That reminds me.

Dead Space is getting a remake, so that might show up. And Bioware seems to be due to show something so why not mass effect 5 or dragon age 4

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So I was reading about these awards, and didn’t realize how old Geoff is. He’s been working on video game awards shows in some capacity since 1994. I remember the Gametrailers days like from even a decade ago and he looked like a twenty something kid then. Also, dude is pretty loaded as he’s shelled out at least a million from his own personal funds to get the current show format up and running.

Anyways, I was also surprised to read that the show has been held at Microsoft Theater since its inception, aside from the virtual show last year. Ironic seeing as the last few years have been kind of a Sony circle jerk.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Anyways, I was also surprised to read that the show has been held at Microsoft Theater since its inception, aside from the virtual show last year. Ironic seeing as the last few years have been kind of a Sony circle jerk.
Can't jerk off Microsoft considering they haven't had any output in the last couple of years. Gotta have something to show off in order to commence the jerking.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
He did say 50/50 chance, so we will see. I agree with you to an extent.
Considering yoshi has been neck deep in geting the ff16 expansion out this year. I cant imagine there be anything to show. Once Endwalker is stable and rolling yoshi will likely been putting more time into 16. That is why i wouldnt expect anything out of that title yet.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
This is an example of the worst sort of awards: basically the big studios slapping their own backs for being rich, even though there's vastly more interesting stuff out there.

It's the big studios that effectively bankroll a lot of this and allow it to be a big spectacle (trailers, etc.) so even if they aren't running it themselves, everyone making the decisions knows the job is to make sure the paymasters are well rewarded with gongs.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
This is an example of the worst sort of awards: basically the big studios slapping their own backs for being rich, even though there's vastly more interesting stuff out there.

It's the big studios that effectively bankroll a lot of this and allow it to be a big spectacle (trailers, etc.) so even if they aren't running it themselves, everyone making the decisions knows the job is to make sure the paymasters are well rewarded with gongs.
Yes and no. Ultimately the public need to know the game that are nominated/winning to be interested. Vast majority of people only play a couple of game a year and don't touch small niche/indie game. You can say that nominating those would give them much needed traffic, but then the only people who would bother with the award are the people who already know about those smaller title.

You also do have smaller game breaking in here and there, like Disco Elysium got a few awards iirc.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For fun let’s predict what the “Elden Ring level” announcements could be!

Hmmm, there’s apparently at least four or five, so…

-Bloodborne port
-Kojima’s next thing
-Something(s) involving Konami (at least one of which could possibly be related to the above)
-New Elder Scrolls
-…*I’m at a loss for more*

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
-Bloodborne port
Not a port. A sequel.

-Kojima’s next thing
Maybe....:(

-Something(s) involving Konami (at least one of which could possibly be related to the above)
What does Konami have that people still give a shit about? Silent Hill Pachinko?

-New Elder Scrolls
Already announced and they've already said that they wouldn't be doing much with that until Starfield was done. So I highly doubt this.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Not a port. A sequel.

Maybe....:(

What does Konami have that people still give a shit about? Silent Hill Pachinko?

Already announced and they've already said that they wouldn't be doing much with that until Starfield was done. So I highly doubt this.
Idk if they’d want to announce something else by FROM before Elden Ring is even out yet. And if the rumor that Bluepoint is doing it, they better only be involved in the technical end because I highly doubt they have the creative chops to follow up on Miyazaki’s own personal favorite masterpiece.

I hope the rumors of a new Silent Hill or MGS remake are finally laid to rest tomorrow night, because this has been the dumbest, most frustrating year for ongoing rumors going nowhere about those fuckers, and we don’t need to be dragging that bs into 2022.