The 50 Worst Fails in Tech History

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
cursedseishi said:
mjc0961 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Gameboy DSi XL
What? Did they really call it that? *looks* Oi, they did. And they completely missed the point of the device (it's not an upgrade for people who already have a DS, it's a bigger DS with a bigger screen for people who don't have a DS and would like one with screens they can actually see instead of the smaller ones on the normal DS) There went their credibility, at least in my eyes. Also, as far as I know, a lot of people like the DSi XL.
honestly, I never met anyone who DIDN'T own a DS in some form or another before the DSi XL was released. So it was just a chunk of plastic not worth the investment, hell I still own my original fat DS, and it still works like a charm.
Besides, the biggest issue to me with the DSi and thus DSi XL was the removal of the GBA slot on it. It certainly wasn't because of the home-brewing scene in Japan, because they replaced the GBA slot with a slot they could use anyways.

The virtual boy speaks for itself though.

One thing I don't agree with, was the Playstation Eye being on there. The card game they made for it is THE coolest thing I've seen yet done with card games. You had cartoons like Yu-gi-oh that had it in them, but outside? Nope. I can certainly understand why they'd put it on there though, a card game is far from enough to make me buy one.
I know quite a few people (my wife included) who did upgrade their DS to the XL model. One of the things that we forget (and Nintendo forgot big time with the 3ds) is that a huge portion of the DS lines success was its ability to appeal to older gamers. The train comuters. The 40 and 50 something housewives. The people who aren't carrying the thing to classes in the back pocket of their jeans. This player base appreciates a screen that they can see. Grandma has issues playing Piccross on teh tiny tiny screens.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
cursedseishi said:
honestly, I never met anyone who DIDN'T own a DS in some form or another before the DSi XL was released. So it was just a chunk of plastic not worth the investment, hell I still own my original fat DS, and it still works like a charm.
It was a chunk of plastic not worth the investment because nobody you knew needed one? Okay. I guess that will mean something as soon you and everyone you know is the entire world's consumer base for electronic devices. Until then, that doesn't mean all that much to me considering that the last estimation of the DSi XL's sales was 10.08 million as of March 31, 2011 (source [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425e.pdf#page=16]). Yep, that's one of the 50 worst tech fails ever. Nintendo must be kicking themselves for making all that money.

Baldr said:
DSi XL is not separate console from the DS, just a different version like the difference between PS2 and PS2 Slim or the Xbox 360/ Elite/ Slim. So if the DS is not a failure than the DSi XL can not be a failure.
Like the PSP go is just a different version of the PSP 1000, PSP 2000, and PSP 3000. So the PSP go isn't a failure, right? ...Well, I disagree. So do all these other people asking "Where's the PSP go?" apparently.

The DSi XL isn't a failure simply because the DSi XL didn't fail. Not because it's older brothers didn't fail.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
This is less "Tech history" as it is "computer and entertainment history". And still, it has some sort of DS in it (wtf ANY kind of DS prints money ---> fail?) and the EyeToy. They even admit themselves that the EyeToy was sold 10 million fucking times. Most importantly: No Laserdisc and no Betamax. The latter one at least is being used in the industry, though still a remarkable failure.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
faefrost said:
cursedseishi said:
mjc0961 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Gameboy DSi XL
What? Did they really call it that? *looks* Oi, they did. And they completely missed the point of the device (it's not an upgrade for people who already have a DS, it's a bigger DS with a bigger screen for people who don't have a DS and would like one with screens they can actually see instead of the smaller ones on the normal DS) There went their credibility, at least in my eyes. Also, as far as I know, a lot of people like the DSi XL.
Besides, the biggest issue to me with the DSi and thus DSi XL was the removal of the GBA slot on it. It certainly wasn't because of the home-brewing scene in Japan, because they replaced the GBA slot with a slot they could use anyways.

The virtual boy speaks for itself though.

One thing I don't agree with, was the Playstation Eye being on there. The card game they made for it is THE coolest thing I've seen yet done with card games. You had cartoons like Yu-gi-oh that had it in them, but outside? Nope. I can certainly understand why they'd put it on there though, a card game is far from enough to make me buy one.
I know quite a few people (my wife included) who did upgrade their DS to the XL model. One of the things that we forget (and Nintendo forgot big time with the 3ds) is that a huge portion of the DS lines success was its ability to appeal to older gamers. The train comuters. The 40 and 50 something housewives. The people who aren't carrying the thing to classes in the back pocket of their jeans. This player base appreciates a screen that they can see. Grandma has issues playing Piccross on teh tiny tiny screens.
Hence the success of the Kindle: the visually impaired can read that bad boy from across the room.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
My mom uses AOL and refuses to try other things because she thinks its the best LMAO I need to show her this.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Looks like everyone else already posted my thoughts:

xHipaboo420x said:
It linked straight to number 1, what a disappointment.

Regardless, the site loads so slowly. What hell, internet.
I was also annoyed that it linked straight to the first one. Half the fun of one of these lists is counting down to the worst thing.
Also, for an image-based list, yes it loads WAY too slowly.

teh_spartan said:
who read this article expecting a list?
I totally did too. Was hoping it would be original Escapist content for some reason. (or failing that, that they at least posted the list)

dragongit said:
The Play Station Network?
Seconded

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
The MSN Direct watches required a $59.99 per year subscription, not per month!!

I know because I had one back in 2003, before jumping onto the whole cell phone thing.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
dragongit said:
The Play Station Network?
'In 2011, as most of you will remember being the year 'pulling a Sony' became the popular term to describe when a company's stocks plumet to nothingness..'
Waiting to see that a decade down the road in some random article.
I would say PSN too, but the new nintendo hardware is coming out soon.....

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Sadly, it really means electronic products. When I saw the title, I was thinking of failures in terms of historical tech, like the gunpowder engine, not just electronic products of the last 30 years or so.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shit, sorry for the link in the article heading directly to the number-one fail - I've edited things so future readers won't get slapped in the face with it. So don't spoil it for them!

And no, "fail" is not a noun. I realize this. But that's how it works as part of the internet lexicon and so that's what we're going with. Actually, that's what Complex is going with. Take it up with them if you don't like it.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Anyone know what 30 actually is? They have the same name as 31 for it (because it wasn't hard enough to take them seriously with the Gameboy DSi XL).

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Shit, sorry for the link in the article heading directly to the number-one fail - I've edited things so future readers won't get slapped in the face with it. So don't spoil it for them!

And no, "fail" is not a noun. I realize this. But that's how it works as part of the internet lexicon and so that's what we're going with. Actually, that's what Complex is going with. Take it up with them if you don't like it.
"Fail" is a noun.

fail n. 1 failure -- usually used in the phrase "without fail;" 2 a failure (as by a security dealer) to deliver or receive securities within a prescribed period after purchase or sale

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fail

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Today's Daily Drop was a bit of a technology fail.

Crowbars, concrete floors and cinder blocks all failed to destroy the TV...

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
xHipaboo420x said:
Regardless, the site loads so slowly. What hell, internet.
the load time on the site is a fail. i had to go throught the thumbnails and make tabs of each page to load so i wouldnt have to wait five minutes for each of them to load individually

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
I'm surprised the Nintendo 64's DiskDrive add-on wasn't included in this list.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
OMG! Virtual Boy! I remember that thing.

I recognize quite a few of these things. I can't believe how many people tried to integrate shit with sunglasses. I think these people are watching too many futuristic movies.

Vezi

May 31, 2009
Was the PSN listed on the top 50?! It should be! Chuckle Chuckle... Too soon?