The 8th generation arrived.....last year.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The WiiU isn't the 8th generation.......because you said it yourself, it's using current generation tech, it doesn't matter how you spin it, the hardware is very similar in capability to PS3 & 360, therefore it really does fit in the current gen.

The other point is STOP linking hardware to graphics, that's NOT what it's about. Do you have any idea what devs do to get games to run on current gen consoles? Limiting field of view, lowering resolution (most games are upscaled to 720p, that's right, they're not even 720p), games like skyrim limit the armor parts and types, games have smaller and more narrow maps, games are limited to 30fps or lower, limited animations, less character model variety.

^ That is not anything to do with visual aesthetics that effects gameplay, yes FPS does matter, 60 is optimal for competitive play allowing you for better reactions, heck even out of competitive try limiting a game like Mario to 25-30 fps, it's much harder to play. Field of view not important? Okay put a long narrow box infront of your eyes, make sure you have no peripheral vision, it can give many headaches.

Better hardware allows for more things to be done beyond just stupid graphics, it allows the devs more breathing room to do more impressive things or things that allow for more fun or complicated tasks.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I honestly don't see why it matters whether people call it eight gen, seventh gen, or fifth gen. This seems one of the things least worth fighting for on a long list of things hardly worth fighting for.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I've never really counted the Wii or Wii U among the gaming platforms. It's specs are by far worse, sure, but that's not the only thing. It gets far less games, mostly party games, and it's controls feel gimmicky. The Wii always felt like kind of an accessory to me. Something like a "half-console" rather than a full one.

JUST the way I see things, you don't need to send the Nintendo Assault Team to kidnap and execute me for heresy.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Doom972 said:
The WiiU's specs mean that most multi-platform next-gen titles won't get released for it. The Wii didn't get some of the most popular multi-platform games of the last generation (Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, etc), and the same will happen with the WiiU. Notice that most of the WiiU's third-party games are actually 7th gen ports.
The Wii U's strengths is in games MADE for it. I would NEVER buy a game I can get on 360/One or PS3/4 for it, because they suffer for it. Games like Pikmin 3 however, are the reason to buy it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Saelune said:
Doom972 said:
The WiiU's specs mean that most multi-platform next-gen titles won't get released for it. The Wii didn't get some of the most popular multi-platform games of the last generation (Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, etc), and the same will happen with the WiiU. Notice that most of the WiiU's third-party games are actually 7th gen ports.
The Wii U's strengths is in games MADE for it. I would NEVER buy a game I can get on 360/One or PS3/4 for it, because they suffer for it. Games like Pikmin 3 however, are the reason to buy it.
Then the WiiU is definitely the console for you. I wish you all the enjoyment you can get out of Nintendo first-party games.
It doesn't change the fact that most next-gen multi-platform games won't come out for it. That's the reasoning behind people not considering it an 8th generation console.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
Well maybe its because, good or bad, most people expect a next generation console to bring something new to gaming. Ya, a console with a tablet is different but considering nobody bought it and nobody cares nothing really changed because of it.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Billy D Williams said:
Well maybe its because, good or bad, most people expect a next generation console to bring something new to gaming. Ya, a console with a tablet is different but considering nobody bought it and nobody cares nothing really changed because of it.
Sony seems to care enough to copy it by making the Vita the PS4's version of that tablet.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
lapan said:
Billy D Williams said:
Sony seems to care enough to copy it by making the Vita the PS4's version of that tablet.
Ehhhh not really... not really at all. I mean I can kinda see the similarities but they're distinctly different and I doubt it has anything to do with actual competition, at best they saw what Nintendo did and thought they might be able to do something similar with their own hardware. I'm not even a Sony fanboy, I'm just stating that Nintendo isn't doing well at all and the Wii U hasn't really had an impact on gaming.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Billy D Williams said:
at best they saw what Nintendo did and thought they might be able to do something similar with their own hardware.
Exactly. Actually Microsoft seems to have done a similar thing as well.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168050-ps4-and-xbox-one-both-have-second-screen-functionality-but-does-it-matter

The goal is clear, they want to siphon even more of Nintendos potential gamerbase. (Not that I can fault them for it, it's just business)

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I don't get it either. The WiiU being a 7.5 gen due to it being released a year earlier I can kinda get. Specs though? What?

Isn't the whole console argument "You don't have to worry about specs"?
So why are we worrying about specs?
Seriously. Just enjoy the games that come out for each platform. There's as much whining about Nintendo specs as there are PC gamers whining about PS4/Xbone specs. On one hand though people get defensive, on the other they're like "But its so old!".
It is part of the eighth gen due to time of release. Who cares about its specs, just look at the games. That's what's important, and what most say is important, so why not follow through with that?

Billy D Williams said:
That's largely Nintendo's fault for holding back their games. At release the main titles on the WiiU were titles that already existed on other consoles, and a couple of games that people saw as "Gimmicky", or cool, but not enough to buy the console for.
Now things like Pikmin 3, a new Mario game, probably a new Zelda, Smash Bros - and more of Nintendo's strong IPs are being announced and released... Right as the PS4 and Xbone come out. Really poor planning by Nintendo. Had they come out of the gate strong, with their strong IPs, and ports of current gen games, and a couple of the current gen/next gen crossovers - then they would have a lot bigger install base than what they're looking to have ATM. It had potential, but Nintendo marketing and management kinda failed there.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Joccaren said:
Really poor planning by Nintendo. Had they come out of the gate strong, with their strong IPs, and ports of current gen games, and a couple of the current gen/next gen crossovers - then they would have a lot bigger install base than what they're looking to have ATM. It had potential, but Nintendo marketing and management kinda failed there.
Nowadays you rarely get strong launches from any console or handheld. The vita had the same problems (and still has)

ChaoshadowZero

Nov 11, 2009
I'm sick of these threads whining about what people think about Nintendo and why they're wrong. It's always the same thing- someone gives an apparently popular opinion on why Nintendo are crap and then states why they are wrong and Nintendo are still relevant.

Well guess what? IT DOESN'T MATTER

I'm a Nintendo fan, I have been since the Game Boy Colour and N64; and I don't give a crap what people are saying about whether or not it's an 8th Gen console because I know that I enjoy it and that's all that really matters.

To sum up my point; people have opinions, they should not affect your enjoyment of the product.

InvaderTim

Dec 9, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(Eighth_generation)

if Wikipedia says WiiU is in the eighth generation, then it's in the eighth generation.

On another note, the Ouya, the Piston, The Steam machine(s) and the Nvidia Shield are also 8th gen systems.
Generations are a clumsy representation of big companies releasing competing systems within the same time frame, not a measure of power.
Also I see no reason for people arguing over the definition of console generations. Just buy the console that has the games you want to play on and let people do the same. We don't need another thing to be elitist about.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
MetalDooley said:
KazeAizen said:
When did console generations begin being defined by tech specs?
Last gen apparently.There was such a clear difference in power between the Wii and 360/PS3 that people began to say that Nintendo weren't in the same generation as their competitors and that has carried over into this gen.It's all nonsense especially as generation refers to a period of time not power.Anyone who talks about "next-gen" in relation to power is making about as much sense as Han Solo when he uses parsecs as a unit of time
Apparently no-one paid attention when the PS2 was the weakest in its generation.

(Also, nerd tangent, the Kessel Run is measured in parsecs because it passes by a blackhole, and the closer you get to the blackhole, the more space bends - making the route shorter. It also means you're closer to being sucked into a black freaking hole. So when Han Solo says he made the Kessel run in "less than 12 parsecs," it's cos he's a badass that swung by the maw of a reality-altering implosion, not that he's using parsecs to measure the time it took him)

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
DISCLAIMER: I don't care what generation the Wii U is supposed to be. However...

KazeAizen said:
So this is really eating at me. Why can't people just admit that the 8th generation of games started last year with the Wii U?
I get the feeling people are going to start arguing the generation of the Wii U the same way people still argue about the generation of the Dreamcast. Although I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'd say at as late as the 16bit generation when the Megadrive hit the shelves. Of course, it may have been earlier.

Also if those are so freaking important to everyone I kind of feel sad about gamings future.
Not just to do with specs. Ultimately, the games being released on the 2 other major consoles, PC, and everything else in between won't be capable of being played on the Wii U.

Also, graphics and power do certainly matter in terms of what kinds of games your making and what emotions you're trying to get from the player. Whilst storytelling reigns supreme, there are video games that do work better for having more visual... weight. But this really does come down to what game companies do with the technology.

I'd like to see talk more along the lines of who is the bigger badass. Bayonetta or that guy from Ryse who is pretty much Kratos light.
Personally, I think conversations like that would suck even more.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
number2301 said:
KazeAizen said:
Seriously? Until recently the whole concept of generations was literally defined by 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit. It has always been that way, otherwise the whole generation thing becomes meaningless. The Wii U isn't 8th gen because it is basically the same as the 7th gen stuff.

If you want to take that line, why didn't the 8th gen start with the XBox elite? That was a new console from Microsoft, with revised hardware, different design etc.

Tech specs are important, and they are important because they allow developers to make bigger worlds, new experiences, better AI etc. It isn't just about graphics.

And I'm really not that inclined to take the word of someone from Nintendo as particularly valuable in the current market. They hit gold with the Wii, as in, they made a tonne of money, but became completely irrelevant pretty quickly. The Wii U isn't relevant now, and it won't be in the 8th gen.
^ This
Specs matter when it comes to the games that will be on it. the Wii U is unfortunately going to be left behind as its specs won't be able to run PS4/Xbone games without a major downgrade. and from what I hear from my friend at GAME most customers that aren't your tech savvy nerd think the Wii U is a Wii with a new peripheral thrown in and are surprised when they are told its a new console.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
lapan said:
Billy D Williams said:
You are aware that the PS3 used the Vita as a off screen/extra input device before the Wii U was even released, right? If anything Nintendo copied Sony.