The "Absolute Territory" terrifies me as a concept

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zettai_ry%C5%8Diki

So after hearing it mentioned in a video explaining why Gakusen Toshi Asterisk sucks [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZcI0Nk0c4A] I elected to look if it was a thing, and indeed it is.

Zettai ryōiki, or the "absolute territory", is the name given to the space of skin between stockings and a skirt/shorts, and even goes so far as to have details on ideal tolerance and ratios.

I honestly have no idea how the hell this type of thing comes about, gets a name and has measurable values to see if it's being done right.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What's the phrase? Oh Japan?
Though technically it's no worse than the thigh gap, it's certainly creepier because otaku are involved.

Then again my Jimmies start to rustle whenever someone calls anyone else, real or otherwise, their waifu.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Congratulations to Japan on creating a name that doesn't make sense, but still sounds creepy and dirty.

Absolute Territory? I'm so lost, what a weird slang term for something like that.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Not a terribly new concept to me, as I tend to follow East Asian fashion a lot more than Western fashion and zettai ryōiki comes up quite a bit in relation to lolita fashion.

It's no more weird than a lot of western concepts in fashion, in fact most of it is a lot less weird and a lot less ugly than what's often considered fashionable in the western world.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I figured it was 50/50 this was an Evangelion thing. Looks like I was wrong, but nor is it anything to get myself in a tizzy over either.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
I figured it was 50/50 this was an Evangelion thing. Looks like I was wrong, but nor is it anything to get myself in a tizzy over either.
If you read the article, it is in fact an Evangelion thing.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Zontar said:
Gordon_4 said:
To be totally correct it's a term adapted from Evangelion by the otaku community, that then came in to common parlance in Japanese. It's a bit over simplistic and factually incorrect to say that it's all Evangelion, the term came from the force fields in Evangelion called: "Zettai Kyōfu Ryōiki" ("Absolute Terror Field/Area/Territory"), but in common parlance now is a direct reference to the space of bare skin between stockings, or socks and skirts, or shorts.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I thought for a moment that this was about Turkey shooting down that Russian plane and it was a term used to describe the invasion of airspace...

Apparently it just means "lower thigh".

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
You insulting the glorious thigh gap OP? Not to exaggerate or anything but it's practically god tier fashion and should be adopted by anyone who can pull it off.

"Creepy" my ass.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
But ZR is awesome and there is indeed a "ratio of values" that I prefer in my ZR. So what's the problem? It's just another piece of clothing that some people prefer to look at. What exactly makes it creepy and terrifying?

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Zontar said:
Gordon_4 said:
To be totally correct it's a term adapted from Evangelion by the otaku community, that then came in to common parlance in Japanese. It's a bit over simplistic and factually incorrect to say that it's all Evangelion, the term came from the force fields in Evangelion called: "Zettai Kyōfu Ryōiki" ("Absolute Terror Field/Area/Territory"), but in common parlance now is a direct reference to the space of bare skin between stockings, or socks and skirts, or shorts.
All the talk about how "deep" and "meaningful" Evangelion is, and it's combined legacy is about 6 good episodes, 2 movies that actually weren't bad... and this. Soak it all in, Evangelion fans. Mwuahaha.

lol =P

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
Honestly, I don't see a huge problem with this. Realistically, there are certain things (symmetry and certain ratios) that the human eye finds pleasing and other things that it finds jarring. Fashion, ultimately, is about manipulating what does and doesn't attract the eye in order to create a specific effect. This concept is just a ratio, basically a "If you are going to do this popular combination, here is how you make it look good". There really isn't anything inherently bad or sleazy about it, though I'm very sure that people can take the concept and run with it in a horrible way. But that's true of pretty much anything.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, the term was originally a Neon Genesis Evangelion quote referring to how AT Field was written in hiragana in the series, but it actually got really popular and entered to daily vernacular of Japanese teenagers and young adults thanks to Gyaru Culture [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyaru]. Gyaru is a subculture of young girls dedicated to wearing subversive clothing and hair styles as a way to express their freedom from traditional Japanese obligations and impressions of young women, which would have them be pure maidens who save their virginity for their first husband.

So this word that you find creepy because you heard about it through anime, is actually a term that many young Japanese girls adopted and popularized outside the otaku space as a way to empower themselves and subvert traditional gender roles.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
It's certainly bizarre, and how it started was a bit weird, but hell, that's most fashion as far as I'm concerned.

I'm more interested in that fact that there's such a thing as sock glue. How did I miss that one?

The Wykydtron said:
You insulting the glorious thigh gap OP? Not to exaggerate or anything but it's practically god tier fashion and should be adopted by anyone who can pull it off.

"Creepy" my ass.
Not sure if you don't know what 'thigh gap' actually means or just being silly...

SquallTheBlade said:
It's just another piece of clothing that some people prefer to look at. What exactly makes it creepy and terrifying?
Technically speaking, Absolute Territory is the lack of clothing, in mathematically appropriate ratios compared to clothing. As for it being creepy, I think its more the 'Some people spent years staring at thighs and math to calculate what gave them boners' thing. No one thinks its creepy to like breasts, but if you break out the calipers and calculators to begin your thesis on 'The appropriate distance between the areola and the naval,' people are probably going to stop talking to you.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
It's certainly bizarre, and how it started was a bit weird, but hell, that's most fashion as far as I'm concerned.

I'm more interested in that fact that there's such a thing as sock glue. How did I miss that one?

The Wykydtron said:

"Creepy" my ass.
Not sure if you don't know what 'thigh gap' actually means or just being silly...

SquallTheBlade said:
It's just another piece of clothing that some people prefer to look at. What exactly makes it creepy and terrifying?
Technically speaking, Absolute Territory is the lack of clothing, in mathematically appropriate ratios compared to clothing. As for it being creepy, I think its more the 'Some people spent years staring at thighs and math to calculate what gave them boners' thing. No one thinks its creepy to like breasts, but if you break out the calipers and calculators to begin your thesis on 'The appropriate distance between the areola and the naval,' people are probably going to stop talking to you.
So do you think it's too late to stop writing my thesis on the appropriate distance between the areola and the navel? Damn I thought I was onto something there...

Also yes I remember what the western version thigh gap is now that you mention it, zettai ryoiki is basically the only fashion thing I know. Easy mistake, thighs and gaps were involved.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
As for it being creepy, I think its more the 'Some people spent years staring at thighs and math to calculate what gave them boners' thing. No one thinks its creepy to like breasts, but if you break out the calipers and calculators to begin your thesis on 'The appropriate distance between the areola and the naval,' people are probably going to stop talking to you.
You are dealing with people who are no fun in that case. I would have no hard time talking about these things with my friends believe it or not.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Just like to point out that 'zettai rouiki' was a thing long before the term was coined. Like hundreds of years. Although it wasn't always the thighs, but wrists and ankles and the nape, etc. It was a western thing long before Japan turned weird.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
I think it's oddly hilarious.

AccursedTheory said:
Have you not heard of Team Ninja? Badumtish.