The Age of Worms Chapter 1: The Whispering Cairn (Game Thread, Closed, Started)

IFS

New member
Mar 5, 2012
1,776
0
0
At last, someone with a mind. It's a long story, but suffice to say a group of my colleagues found a hidden chamber there a few weeks ago. As usual, they looted the chamber bare of every gold flake, but there were several carvings of some intrigue they weren't able to identify. Hence, me. Auric and Tirra merely owe me a few favors."

"Really?" Wilmet said, becoming slightly intrigued by this news "Carvings? Of what sort?"

He was reasonably sure he knew what sort of carvings they might be, arcane knowledge no doubt the empire that was responsible for the cairns had advanced magic in its day and left all manner of artifacts behind. Such things could be quite dangerous of course, but knowledge and power was never truly without risk. No knowledge worth possessing was at least.

He also made note of some of the others who expressed interest, if things came down to it he might need to throw together his own expedition, and such curious fellows would likely be ready and willing to pitch in.
 

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
1,816
0
0
"Really? Carvings? Of what sort?"

Finally someone who knows what is interesting.

He would have kept an eye on the conversation, but James felt the floor shake as a Goliath approached, sitting down next to him and asking him the same question as the girl had.

"What do you think of our visitors?"

James raised an eyebrow, examining the Goliath.

First a girl, now a pile of rocks. Why does everyone suddenly have an interest in me?

He frowned. "I think they know something we don't, which is why I'm listening to them. Or, trying to, I keep getting interrupted." James made an effort to sound less hostile than he had towards Clodagh, if most of all because this guy was a lot scarier than her.

"Honestly though, I'd just go alone. Actually..." he took a breath. What was the use of all of this? It was just going to keep going like this, right? Surprisingly, he stood up. While he was interested in the carvings, this was becoming a little too much for him. Everyone asking him, nothing was happening, and while he wasn't desperate, he was really curious now, and none of the questions were asked quickly enough. And, he was angry, of course he was. Who wouldn't be, with everyone going to bother him?

Screw this. If everyone's going to ask about my opinion, I might as well give them it!

He stood up on his chair, in order to make sure everyone saw him.

"This is taking so bloody long, so here's the deal! I'm going to go to the Cairn. The exact one you people are thinking off, the one with all the secret treasure! I know which one it is, and I can see better in the dark than any of you people. You can come with me, or you can go with the suspicious strangers! Or, we could all go together, I don't care, this is just getting dull!" He pointed to the mage.

"I'll take you there, as soon as you want it, no more games played or anything, no more stupid questions, as long as you tell me about those carvings of yours. Now, you might wonder; Why should I do it? Because I don't deal with shady "what-ifs" I don't care about some deal, as long as you don't push me down from a cliff, I'll refrain from poisoning you lot! Besides, I'm not a desperate fool like so many other people here, I'm not drunk, and I'm intelligent, which makes me about five times as dependable as most of the people here!" With that, he sat down, shaking from anger. Then, the anger became fear as he realized what he had just said, being terrified of what he had just done.

Oh god, they'll kill me.

Shaky hands, he looked through his pocket and picked out a small green potion, it would help him get out of there, if he needed to. Downing it, he glanced at the Goliath, as he grabbed one of his daggers -but kept his hand in the pocket so that no one could see it-, expecting a fight. "T-that's what I think of our visitors."
 

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
2,048
0
0
Clodagh slouched a little bit on her chair and stared around aimlessly for a bit before hearing a voice.

"See her? Another one of these outsiders who wants to go exploring. Dunno why everyone's so interested in empty cairns all of a sudden."

She perked up for a moment and found a small hobbit girl sitting beside (and below) her. Clodagh hadn't seen very many hobbits, but from her youth remembered a couple in the city that all had wealthy jobs and treated her well. With this little hunch she decided to entertain this one.
"Oh, me neither. But these travellers look pretty rich. I think they know something about the crypts that we don't."

Then, out of nowhere, James stood up on a chair and started half-ranting half-shouting at the adventurers. Clodagh wondered from his tone if they had done something before to personally earn his disdain, but perhaps he was just like that around people. At least she had vacated from that end of the room when she did, as it appeared someone else (or better, something else) had set James off this time.
 

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
3,772
8
13
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Carvings in a hidden chamber? That could be bad. Or entirely benign. Charles thought about it as he listened to what he could hear around the room. He was curious and the nagging feeling in his head made him sure. He'd involve himself in this one way or another. There were many reasons to justify involving himself in their business but which one...

As he sat and thought and listened he saw one of the people stand on their chairs and begin to shout. As he listened he noted a few of the things he said. He felt as if he had seen the guy occasionally in town, and watching him now he seemed twitchy, impatient. Charles slowly and carefully moved his hand to a blade. It looked like there was something wrong with the guy and if he lost it in here, he'd need putting down fast.
 

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
2,463
0
0
"You want to go for the Stirgenest Cairn? Looks like your friends have got the right kind of people telling them the right sort of thing."

Auric looked around at those Godric gestured toward before nodding. "Yes. Soon we'll know all we need to know." As he said this, Auric looked over at Khellek and Tirra trying to get a read on what they were learning. "I think." he finally added, accepting the fact he had no idea how he others were doing. To be frank, that wasn't exactly his forte.

Meanwhile, across the room, Tirra was setting up the game and Khellek was speaking with a gnome. "Carvings? Of what sort?". Khellek shrugged and answered. "They appear to relate back to the battle that took place here centuries ago between Aaqa and the "Forces of Chaos". I'll need to see them to know more."

That is, until James jumped up on a chair and began to shout. "This is taking so bloody long, so here's the deal! I'm going to go to the Cairn. The exact one you people are thinking off, the one with all the secret treasure! I know which one it is, and I can see better in the dark than any of you people. You can come with me, or you can go with the suspicious strangers! Or, we could all go together, I don't care, this is just getting dull! I'll take you there, as soon as you want it, no more games played or anything, no more stupid questions, as long as you tell me about those carvings of yours. Now, you might wonder; Why should I do it? Because I don't deal with shady "what-ifs" I don't care about some deal, as long as you don't push me down from a cliff, I'll refrain from poisoning you lot! Besides, I'm not a desperate fool like so many other people here, I'm not drunk, and I'm intelligent, which makes me about five times as dependable as most of the people here!"

Most of the tavern goers were too drunk to really care or remember what he said, though James did immediately receive dozens of dirty looks from many of the patrons. For their part, the trio of adventurers looked over at him with eyes wide. After a few glances back and forth between the three, Khellek finally answered. "Show us the way to this "secret treasure" and I'll answer whatever questions you'd like."
 

booksv2

New member
Aug 17, 2012
632
0
0
Looking at the man who had stood and made the grand statement Thalith pushes himself up and looks around the room at the grumbling drunks before looking at the man again and narrowing his eyes. Turning and walking towards the door he rumbles back at the man in a slightly deeper voice.
"Don't leave without me."

Stepping out of the door into the night Thalith rolls his shoulders causing popping and crackling like rocks being broke as he walks through the night and to the barrack's like building he steps in and ignores those sleeping as he jerks the chest that had been pushed under his extra large cot. Opening it and pulling out his armor he gives it a once over before lifting and sliding it on. Grabbing the leather skirt and Jerking it down he settles it firmly over his body and slams his closed fist against it once making a loud crashing sound.

Reaching back into the chest and grabbing onto the haft of his GreateAxe Thalith pulls the leather covers off the blades and spins the hilt in his Axe he makes sure there is no scratches more than there were. Sliding a finger over the edges of the axe and smiling he pulls his holder from the chest and slides the axe into it and spins his body left and right making sure it is all settled before turning and kicking the chest back under his cot. Looking at the place he had been living for a while he smiles slowly to himself and turns to walk back out the door.

Walking down the street Thalith looks up at the night sky and narrows his eye again as he looks for any trace of the sun coming, knowing it is not but still looking. Mumbling to himself.
"All to the Horns."

Lowering his eyes Thalith heads towards the tavern with new purpose, a hard smile on his lips.
 

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
1,816
0
0
"Show us the way to this "secret treasure" and I'll answer whatever questions you'd like."

James felt a little less terrified as he realized that he wasn't going to get attacked. Well, not by that lot, anyhow, some of the drunks were sending him nasty looks because of what he had said. Of course, none of them would cared if the shoe hadn't fit, so he just shrugged in reply. He gave himself a moment to stop shaking, and to become a little more confident, though it wasn't before the Goliath he actually got a reason to do so.

"Don't leave without me."

"Fine," James replied. On one hand, he wasn't sure about any of this, it had been a sudden thing. However, he also was relieved the Goliath hadn't gotten insulted, and having that thing to back him up would definitely make things a bit safer. More secure.

Unless he turns on me, but I am no threat to him, and we're both stuck here for different reasons, so it shouldn't be an issue talking to him. Probably.

Breathing easier, he finally looked at the adventurers, trying to think of what to say. He had habit of rubbing people the wrong way when he spoke, so laying out the terms and information as briefly as he could was the best way he could try to talk some reason into them.

"One; I'll show you the way to the cairn after you give me the information about the carvings, call it a result of my damned curiosity. And some sort of confirmation of that you won't just fuck me over, if not a percentage of the share then just enough to get out of here. Well, me and that guy," he motioned after where the Goliath had gone. "And whoever wants to come. Two; I can't guarantee there's a treasure, but I can guarantee that it's a better bet than where you were headed, a much better bet, and I'm very sure of that the four of us wouldn't be enough to get there safely."

A lie, he didn't know that much of the place, but if it meant that James could bring more people as insurance, why not? Perhaps the little girl wanted to go too, and perhaps James could use that as an opportunity to apologize.

Hah. As if.

"Three; if you're not interested, then so be it. But you're not going to get a better offer than one that relies on what you could find, rather than paying out front and ending up with nothing. A wasted trip is better than a wasted trip with no money, just as paying a little bit of the treasure you find is better than going into an area you know nothing about, with no one following. I'm sure the carvings are interesting, but I'm not risking my life for them, and I doubt you guys would like to do so either."

He crossed his arms, and sat back down. "That's it, plain and simple. Take it or leave it. Just know that you won't find someone as uninterested in fooling you than I am, I have every intention of following through what I've told you, so saying no means you risk having to deal with more lies and empty promises."
 

suspicious guard

New member
Nov 20, 2014
34
0
0
Millie shook her head sadly as Mr "I'm not drunk, I'm intelligent" started ranting about cairns and carvings. There were a lot of crazy people in this town. Hell, being stuck in the place was starting to drive her mad, too. The human girl was watching the angry guy too. She didn't seem too impressed.

Wait, did somebody just say "secret treasure"? I could really do with some secret treasure right about now.

"Two; I can't guarantee there's a treasure..."

Typical. You can't get reliable madmen these days.

"...but I can guarantee that it's a better bet than where you were headed, a much better bet, and I'm very sure that the four of us wouldn't be enough to get there safely."

This sounded like nonsense to Millie. What was he expecting? That is, aside from being mugged by the various thugs and drunkards he had kindly just informed about his plans the minute he got back into town laden with loot...or hypothetical loot, at any rate. Well, whatever he'd expected, it sounded like an opening. And if this man guarded his speech so poorly, perhaps he'd be equally careless about his treasure. She might have to be more careful with the rock monster, though.

Leaning over the table, Millie muttered to the girl - "Well, that one's a few cards short of a deck. Still, money is money, right?" Then, she stood on her chair and waved enthusiastically across the room at James. "Hey, I'll come! Better than staying in this place..."
 

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
742
0
0
"Hey, I'll come! Better than staying in this place..."

Anything's better than staying in this place. Thought Godric, quietly impressed by the kid who had stood up and addressed the Tavern. Doesn't matter who I travel with, just so long as I get a chance to make it out of here.

Godric stepped away from the bar, "I'll come with you." He patted the pommel of his sword, "You're going to need all the help you can get." He wasn't sure if that was actually true, but it gave him a reason to join in.

Anything to get out of this dump, doesn't matter if it's by going six feet under or spending my portion of the treasure on a ride out of here. Though with the amount that could go on this trip, how small are the shares going to be?
 

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
2,463
0
0
Upstaging Andria didn?t usually work out well; robbing her of a potentially lucrative opportunity was even less safe. She regretted the waste of her focus, though she was already imaging how to get the best use out of her blades.

She stood up; the game of knives was apparently going nowhere so she returned hers to her hiding places. She though she saw some holes in how James spoke, she couldn?t quite put her finger on why but she doubted he knew as much as he was trying to let on, consider her intrigued. Who knows maybe this was going to be hilarious, certainly she?d not had any other plans for the evening and this was shaping up to be quite the show. So she wandered up to him and asked with her soft sing song voice.

?Would you mind if I joined you? I know the area fairly well and there?s ways around here that are far quicker than obvious. I should warn you though to expect snakes, a girl I knew got bit bad and anti-venom isn?t the easiest to find out there.?
 

booksv2

New member
Aug 17, 2012
632
0
0
Walking back into the tavern and looking around at those who had either gotten deeper in their cups or stepped forward Thalith smiles to himself as he rolls his shoulders and helps settle his axe. Stepping deeper into the crowded drinking area he steps up to the young man who had yelled the challenge to the visitors. Clapping his hand on his shoulder from behind making the boy stagger Thalith says loudly.
"Well it seems you got some more to come with you, maybe enough that any Eldridge horrors we might find will be killed before we are."

Laughing at his own joke and letting the first person to have spoken up Thalith gets another stein of beer, standing just to the side waiting for the rest as he drinks it.
 

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
1,816
0
0
"Hey, I'll come! Better than staying in this place..."

"I'll come with you. You're going to need all the help you can get."

"Would you mind if I joined you? I know the area fairly well and there's ways around here that are far quicker than obvious. I should warn you though to expect snakes, a girl I knew got bit bad and anti-venom isn't the easiest to find out there."

Then there was eight.

If this kept up, James figured he might just have arranged it himself, the adventurers be damned. He still could, though they might take offense to that, and that could get dangerous.

James sat back. "I am aware of that there's snakes," he said, remembering the time he had arrived in Diamond Lake. He had been forced to walk through some snakepits. "Luckily, I happen to be an alchemist, so I reckon I already have some suitable anti-venom, should it happen. Regardless, I wouldn't mind anyone joining as long as they're able enough to defend themselves."

"Well it seems you got some more to come with you, maybe enough that any Eldridge horrors we might find will be killed before we are."

James had barely evaded the goliath's clap, and eyed the other with narrowed eyes. He hadn't been startled, but it had made him more aware of his surroundings. With all the people around them, that wasn't really much of a surprise.

"Yes, if we get any others we could just go alone, should those guys decide we're not worth it. But, and I say this as fact, not as an insult; don't even try to touch me again, I abhor physical contact," he said in a matter of factly manner, and crossed his arms in a defensive manner.
 

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
2,048
0
0
"Well, that one's a few cards short of a deck. Still, money is money, right?"

Clodagh smiled at that, and yawned for a moment, then her little companion sprung up and towards James,

"Hey, I'll come! Better than staying in this place..."

The little hobbit then seemed to gesture for Clodagh to follow her, but Clodagh was apprehensive. She was feeling quite tired, and to be honest didn't really know how far away this cairn would be. Granted, she hadn't really done anything physically exertive in the past few days, but she knew an excursion like this would be tiring.
There was also the problem of Clodagh not knowing any of these people. She could stick with the friendly hobbit, but even then...

Clodagh then sighed and got up, taking a few steps out the tavern door and leaning against the cold moist wall of the building, continuing to think over what to do.
 

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
3,772
8
13
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Charles sat silently and listened as those around the bar continued to speak. With the way the people crowding them were speaking it seemed as if they thought they would be leaving tonight. They wouldn't be leaving tonight would they? No. That wouldn't make sense. It's night. Most things a sane person would worry about walk at night.

Probably couldn't hurt to ask though. He looked between the three and decided he would ask when they were done discussing with the man that drew their full attention.
 

IFS

New member
Mar 5, 2012
1,776
0
0
Wilmet's conversation with the mage was interrupted by one of the patrons of the bar, who began shouting about a better lead and so on. Seems I'm not the only one who knows where to start, shame he's being so loud about it but I might as well pitch in and tag along. I'd wager that at this point I already know as much if not more about these carvings than anyone else here.

"You'll have to excuse me," he said to the mage as he got out of his seat "I'm rather curious about where this fellow is heading."

Shoving his way up towards James, he tipped his rather large hat to the man "I've got a bit of knowledge about what we're looking for," he said "so I think I'll join you, you'll want me there with you."
 

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
2,463
0
0
Auric's band of adventurers - so called because Khellek called the shots - listened closely to what James had to say. For his part, Khellek seemed to have few issues with the agreement. Sure sharing information wasn't his way, but what would a miner gain from it? Auric and Tirra seemed less interested however. They could care less about the carvings, but sharing the treasure...

After a short discussion, Khellek walked over to James and began to speak. "Agreed. The carvings are from the ancient Aaqa people. All the cairns in this area are tombs of individuals who fell in battle against "The forces of chaos". Details on this unknown force are scarce, but it's known there was a Darklord called "The Queen of Chaos" under whom they fought. Her actual name has been forgotten by history as the victorious Aaqa spent much of their time erasing her existence from the world. Regardless, she and her most powerful minions were finally defeated on the "volcanic plane of Pesh"; here." he said, pointing at the ground.

"According to the culture of Aaqa, fallen warriors were always to be buried where they died because their souls were supposedly bound to that location. In most cases, this meant simple graves for the dead. However, a large number of the nobility - including several princes, major military leaders, and at least one "Wind Duke" - their most powerful of mages - died here. As such, grand tombs were commissioned; the Cairns."

Khellek took a breath and continued. "The carvings in each tomb depict the lives and heroic deeds of these powerful individuals. The Stirgenest Cairn was dedicated to a powerful prince of the empire. The carvings in the tomb have largely been documented or lost, but have lead to most of our understanding of the empire since the heart of the Aaqa empire was consumed by the mists after the death of their own darklord. The new carvings are of a battle against some great monstrous spider. They are of particular interest because it's believed that such a creature was responsible for the death of the aforementioned "Wind Duke" and the shattering of a powerful magical artifact known as the "Rod of Law". Said artifact's remains are of understandable mystical and historic significance. Hence, us."

With that, Khellek was finished. Tirra however felt the need to add something. "The secret treasure vault however is of more material significance so if you'd be so kind as to start walking..." she said, letting the point stand.

Once this was all over and Charles asked his question, Auric saw to the answer. "Of course we're going now? Would you not be forced back into the mine if we left during the day? Besides, there's adventure afoot; how could we remain here?".

[hr]

As the large group made there way out of town and toward the "Whispering Carin" Khellek began probing all those who were familiar with it for more information on who was buried there and why they expected treasure. Auric spent the trip speaking with Godric and Thalith and any other "physical" type regarding their accomplishments - if any. Tirra largely remained to herself in the back, keeping an eye on everyone.

After approximately half an hour of uneventful walking, the group arrived at the entrance to the cairn. To Charles, this was particularly surprising as he felt no signs of Ezra's disapproval. The entry way to the tomb was constructed of large stone slabs in the side of a hill and extended deep underneath the hill.

Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

The walls of the tunnel bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what must once have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor.

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall.

Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.
 

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
1,816
0
0
"Agreed. The carvings are from the ancient Aaqa people. All the cairns in this area are tombs of individuals who fell in battle against "The forces of chaos". Details on this unknown force are scarce, but it's known there was a Darklord called "The Queen of Chaos" under whom they fought. Her actual name has been forgotten by history as the victorious Aaqa spent much of their time erasing her existence from the world. Regardless, she and her most powerful minions were finally defeated on the "volcanic plane of Pesh"; here.

According to the culture of Aaqa, fallen warriors were always to be buried where they died because their souls were supposedly bound to that location. In most cases, this meant simple graves for the dead. However, a large number of the nobility - including several princes, major military leaders, and at least one "Wind Duke" - their most powerful of mages - died here. As such, grand tombs were commissioned; the Cairns.

The carvings in each tomb depict the lives and heroic deeds of these powerful individuals. The Stirgenest Cairn was dedicated to a powerful prince of the empire. The carvings in the tomb have largely been documented or lost, but have lead to most of our understanding of the empire since the heart of the Aaqa empire was consumed by the mists after the death of their own darklord. The new carvings are of a battle against some great monstrous spider. They are of particular interest because it's believed that such a creature was responsible for the death of the aforementioned "Wind Duke" and the shattering of a powerful magical artifact known as the "Rod of Law". Said artifact's remains are of understandable mystical and historic significance. Hence, us."


James took in every piece of information with an uncharacteristic glee. While he didn't show it, James enjoyed learning. Especially because he could remember back when he knew nothing at all, when words were something he knew, but didn't really understand the origin of, and when everything was new. He didn't know too much about what the mage was talking about, but it was simple to understand, and he started putting it together with information he had gotten before.

I wonder what the "Rod of Law" did.

Could the remains be used for alchemy? Before he got the time to ask, the elven woman spoke up, greedily bringing the topic back to what James had said in order to get their interest. The treasure.

"The secret treasure vault however is of more material significance so if you'd be so kind as to start walking..."

Oh, of course. Let's talk about the money.

"Fair enough, there is only so much night to go on," he muttered as a reply, and started walking, though he stopped, slightly. "Actually, you lot should get yourself prepared for this, I have something to pick up. I'll be back before you know it." With that, he went to get his tools. While James doubted he would need all of it, he had a secret hope of being able to make it out of this place and never return, ever again. Besides, the larger coat had many pockets, and his tools didn't take up that much space, not when he took them apart and split them across his pockets.

When he was prepared to leave, rather briefly afterwards, he went to the group again, and started leading the way, though he was careful to let the woman that had mentioned being a local, influence where they went. Of course, he didn't let her lead entirely, what good was his eyes if not for finding the safest route in the increasing darkness?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

James had kept his silence during the walk. Questions had been asked about where they were going, but some of the others had boasted the same knowledge as him, so he left it up to them to answer. Besides, he wasn't exactly in the mood to talk, the group had increased yet again, and it had dawned upon him just how many people there were, many of whom could best him in combat.

It should be safe... I share a common goal with most of them. It would not benefit them to get rid of me.

Of course, ensuring that he didn't give them a reason to do so by speaking, was something he considered a task. James didn't know why, but people never really had much of a fondness for him, even without him trying to be rude or antagonizing. Obviously, that made him realize one thing; there was no reason to try to make them like him, simply to ensure they didn't see him as a liability. While he didn't exactly enjoy not being liked, it was better to keep people away than to risk their anger.

Or so he reasoned, anyhow. After not too long, they got to the Cairn. The tomb was beautiful once, but now it was faded. Eery too, with voices and whispers filling it. Likely the wind, but James took care to keep an eye on the dimly lit halls. Unsure of what to expect, he waits for the others to act, not out of cation, but out of curiosity. Do they find it threatening, or do they simply not worry?
 

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
2,048
0
0
Clodagh looked around and felt a shiver run down her spine. There was still wailing in the distance from the zealots, and Clodagh decided she would just wait for them to be done before heading back to her home to avoid their shrill voices hurting her ears.

So, she sighed. Did she really want to pass on a quick excursion just because of her body clock? While pondering this, she heard a faint mention of the "Queen of Chaos". Clodagh perked up at that and tilted her head back towards the door to hear more. Clodagh had read about stories like that as a small child. She wasn't supposed to because they were on her older sister's shelf, but that didn't stop her from trying. She smiled and continued to indulge in a bit of nostalgia as the group left the tavern. Clodagh spotted James near the front and squinted her eyes. But she also saw the hobbit. So Clodagh resolved to just avoid James altogether and stick with the little one.

Clodagh then waited for a little bit, then tailed behind the group by a few dozen paces.

The journey was very long, and very boring. Judging from Clodagh's tired knees she knew she had been walking for a long time. And the sky was overcast, so she couldn't even just look at stars. Arriving at the cairn itself was also pretty underwhelming. Clodagh was expecting something more grand, but then heard the weird noises coming from the tombs.

Typical.

"So," she said, standing behind the hobbit, "have St. Cuthbert's faithful found a new temple?"
 

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
2,463
0
0
It was smaller and less obviously haunted than Andria remembered. The most prominent entrance was still overbearing though, there was discussion of feats of strength and skill Andria knew too well the value of subtlety to boast more than she had already in the bar. Now she had a few ideas, of course there were probably traps, traps were these sort of places equivalent of Horsderves laid out to impress unwanted guests. The nearby woods were fairly full of things, Andria took her moment away from anyone else to search for something small and skittery, a squirrel would do. The creature looked at her curiously, something it couldn?t figure out, and then Andria took off her mask.
The creature couldn?t look away or even move as Andria gently picked it up and pocketed it before putting her mask back on.
She then walked back over the looming gloom of the threshold and set the squirrel down, was still a little dazed but she pointed it inside and when it tried to flee anyway else she gave it a quick look to make it scamper away from her, somehow she convinced it the Cairn would be safer.
 

booksv2

New member
Aug 17, 2012
632
0
0
Thalith walked with the boastful Auric and traded boasts of strength and skill with him, laughing and frowning at the other man as he boasts more and grander. In the middle of telling a story about how he had found and split a giant in two from crown to heel he was stopped as most of the group stopped just outside the entrance of one of the cairns. Looking at the entrance and just inside where the paintings and scrapings were done Thalith frowns and after glancing at Auric he steps forward to set a hand on the stone wall of the entrance.

Rubbing his hand on the stone and mumbling to himself Thalith shakes his head as he looks farther down the tunnel. He had heard something about chaos and wind dukes and who knows what else. Glancing over and watching one of the others send a squirrel down the tunnel he turns towards the greater part of the group and blinks slowly.
"Are we going to move into there? Do we have the torches?"