The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
My takeaway: NFTs have their uses, but their impact is miniscule, the needs they purport to fulfill are largely already met in other ways, and they primarily serve as a tool for scammers.

Great. Can we take them out back and shoot them now?
They are great if you want to scam someone.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And at least they took a lot more effort than a bunch of fucking cartoon apes!
Yeah why did that end of being the default example? Is that a meme I don't get, or is it a racist thing? Like cartoon ape seems way too specific to be random, especially considering the types who go in on crypto and these conspiracy currencies.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah why did that end of being the default example? Is that a meme I don't get, or is it a racist thing? Like cartoon ape seems way too specific to be random, especially considering the types who go in on crypto and these conspiracy currencies.
Probably because of the "Apes together strong" meme from the GameStop/AME stock stuff. Absolutely massive "way too much Reddit" energy

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Probably because of the "Apes together strong" meme from the GameStop/AME stock stuff. Absolutely massive "way too much Reddit" energy
I thought that's because one of the 'original' for lack of a better term NFTs was some stylisation of the proverbial Three Wise Monkeys. You know, Speak no Evil, See no Evil, Hear no Evil thing?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
My general view of libertarians is that they heavily underestimate just how dangerous their fellow citizens might be without the restraints of state power.
Or maybe, like those wealthy assholes in The Purge, they expect that when people turn violent, they can personally be safe inside fortified mansions.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
They're self-sufficient manly men who can take care of themselves in any eventuality.

Or that's what they imagine, anyway.
Yeah, surprisingly few people posing with ARs and talking about the next civil war imagine themselves to be cannon fodder, or even junior NCOs. They tend to expect to be heroic leaders of the resistance.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, surprisingly few people posing with ARs and talking about the next civil war imagine themselves to be cannon fodder, or even junior NCOs. They tend to expect to be heroic leaders of the resistance.
They are nothing more than idiotic mooks. But even calling them mooks would be an insult to actual mooks everywhere in real life or fiction.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Our man Reggie is striking whilst the iron is hotter than a white dwarf here 🙄

Reggie Fils-Aimé says he's a believer in blockchain and so-called play-to-own technology.

Speaking at last month's SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, Fils-Aimé was asked what role blockchain, crypto and play-to-earn technology had in the future of gaming (thanks, Nintendo Life).

He appeared to be quite enthusiastic about the idea: "So I'm a believer in blockchain, I think it's a really compelling technology. I'm also a believer in the concept of 'play to own' within video games, and I say this as a player where I may have invested 50 hours, 100 hours, or 300 hours in a game, and when I'm ready to move on to something else, wouldn't it be great to monetise what I've built?"

Fils-Aimé used an example from his former employer to support his case: "I bet I'd have some takers here today if I wanted to sell my Animal Crossing island from the latest Nintendo Switch version; I'd like to be able to monetise that. Blockchain technology embedded in the code would enable me to do that."

Yet there is already a thriving community of Animal Crossing of players buying and selling items as well as offering services in exchange for in-game currencies (Bells and Nook Miles) or otherwise.

Sites like Nookazon, for example, already facilitate this exchange by connecting players together. The only incentive Nintendo would have to move such exchanges from the black market to an official marketplace is if it could take a cut of the profits, or perhaps argue it creates a safe, moderated environment, for children.

Even then, it is difficult to see why a blockchain is needed to implement such a marketplace.

To his credit, Fils-Aimé did say that the use of blockchain needs to be thoughtful and consumer-friendly: "Now I say that in the context of 'it needs to make sense for the player'. It can't just be an approach by the developer that it's interesting or it's a way for them as a development entity to make more money. In the end, it's got to be good for the player, but I see an opportunity."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Imagine if you went to the bank and the teller told you "oh sorry chap, we accidentally filled the safe-deposit room with cement, no getting anything out of there now".
More like "We built the world's most amazingly secure safe, completely and totally impenetrable. Then we put it in and promptly melted down the utterly irreplaceable keys to it."

Reactions: Dalisclock