BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"I'm not a rube. I won't fall for one of those scams." - every last rube
Every rube thinks they're the scheming protagonist that deserves everything in the world, and everyone else are to be used as stepping stones. Or some delusional reality where they're constantly thinking they did nothing wrong, and it is the others who are wrong and idiots.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Do the people who invest in these projects have no sense of pattern recognition?
These scams are likely funded by people who made millions off of bitcoin because they accidentally got in on the ground floor to buy party drugs off the darkweb, and believe that if they find the right currency they can repeat that windfall. Some libertarian nerd in 2009 trying to buy $10 in LSD using untraceable payments needed like 1000 bitcoin. If you left that thousand bitcoin in a wallet for 10 years it became $10,000,000. When you see relatively young "investors" throwing money at risky bets online, there's a reasonable guess where they got all that money to throw around.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Every rube thinks they're the scheming protagonist that deserves everything in the world, and everyone else are to be used as stepping stones. Or some delusional reality where they're constantly thinking they did nothing wrong, and it is the others who are wrong and idiots.
One might say the same about apps that let regular punters trade in the stock market easily.

You know how those big funds keep doing better than the market average? Have small traders stopped to think who is therefore doing worse than the market average?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
All the problems of fiat currency, with none of the benefits or protections. It'd be tragic if it had ever really been meant as anything other than another avenue for con artists to scam suckers.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
In other news, apparently if coinbase goes bankrupt everyone who uses it will also lose all of their crypto because the customers are considered "general unsecured creditors."

So you don't actually even own the cryto currency stored on coinbase.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In other news, apparently if coinbase goes bankrupt everyone who uses it will also lose all of their crypto because they customers are considered "general unsecured creditors."

So you don't actually even own the cryto currency stored on coinbase.
But....muh boxtops! They're worth a lot! The guy who sold them to me said they were!

Reactions: CM156 and BrawlMan

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
This feels like the chart version of waving your arms around and insisting everything is completely fine
I suspect what he's effectively arguing in simple language is the NFTs experienced a bubble, and will settle down to a long-term value which may appreciate with time.

On the other hand, I'm not sure a piece of code representing a picture of monkey is really likely to store lasting value unless it develops the status of a currency. But that's very unlikely: people are far more likely to use actual custom-designed digial currencies.

Otherwise, it's just a string of digits representing a crap picture. When set against the infinite ability to generate strings of digits representing crap, the likelihood of people in the future to value a dollop of code representing a random shit jpeg from 2022 is approximately nil. A string of digits representing a top song/book/album: now that I guess could be worth something. Or, I suppose, there might be a sort of historical "antique" value in the representation of some sort of popular craze (akin to baseball cards). And in general, NFTs might be here to stay as things that will always exist and potentially in total do good business (just like equally transient game microtransactions to pimp your in-game vehicle). But I suspect the days of fuckwits spending massive sums for what is effectively nothing are dying / dead.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I suspect what he's effectively arguing in simple language is the NFTs experienced a bubble, and will settle down to a long-term value which may appreciate with time.
He's not. He purposefully wrote the most buzzword-laden nonsense he could, slapped a meaningless graph on it, and at least one relatively major crypto bro took it at face value.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not seeing much in the way of self-awareness here. You don't have people say "What fool I was, why did I not listen?" they are all "I can't believe this could happen".
I am a little suspicious that he bothered to even post an update after he fucked his life. There are timestamps though. So maybe people are just fucking weirdos.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
2022/23 is gonna be a big year for divorce and suicide.

Just read in web3isgoinggreat and saw this story. One of the links was to the crypto subreddit with a global list of suicide hotlines.

Surely it should go without saying, but if literally the only people telling you a thing is a good investment are the people selling you that investment it is not a good investment. Like nobody who wasn't selling crypto assets or nipple deep in having bought crypto assets and therefore needed other people to buy them to up the value of their investment was recommending them.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
He's not. He purposefully wrote the most buzzword-laden nonsense he could, slapped a meaningless graph on it, and at least one relatively major crypto bro took it at face value.
Ohhh... yeah, I see. I was a bit slow on the uptake there.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Surely it should go without saying, but if literally the only people telling you a thing is a good investment are the people selling you that investment it is not a good investment. Like nobody who wasn't selling crypto assets or nipple deep in having bought crypto assets and therefore needed other people to buy them to up the value of their investment was recommending them.
While it's attributed to PT Barnum, there's no evidence that he first said "there's a sucker born every minute". But it's a good saying, no matter who said it.