The Animal Crossing Afro Puffs / Space buns controversy and questions over who can play as what in games

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
The analogy works because both are making assumptions about people without basing it on the actual character of the individuals.
That's not True.

There are British Japanese, American Japanese, hell there are Brazilian Japanese.

The culture and the norms will shape how people who are beholden to those cultures will react or interpret things. An American will stereotypically hold Freedom and Self Reliance above most things, and so forth. Likewise, can you say that an American and/or Capitalist based company will have a strict drive for making money above everything else. An American company will behave differently than a British Company, a Japanese Company, or a Brazilian company. It's not because the British Company will have a higher concentration of Genetic European People that the British Company will have different mores and procedures than the Brazilian company. Because there could still be a higher concentration of Genetic European People in an American company, but still act differently than both the British and the Brazilian companies. Even if they have the same number of Genetically European People in leadership.

You are making it about race by trying to state because I'm black, X. I didn't say because they were Japanese they are doing X. I'm talking about the Country's mores. Just like my Mores are not the same as an African person, even if our genotypes and phenotypes largely match up.

The Shared Racial Aspect will only tell how the people look, and even then there will be environmental differences like diet and geographical elements (both figuratively and literally) in play. There is no instinctual way a person from a Genetic Background will always act. Nor did anyone claim anything of the sort save for your analogy. In fact, you would have had more of a leg to stand on if you even said "American Black". Not that it would be necessarily true, but you would at least have had a focus which you could explain. You simply said Black. As Black American, Black Canadian, Black British, African Black, etc.

I spoke about a Japanese Country in Japan. A company made of up all American Japanese people from America, British Japanese people from Britain, or Brazilian Japanese from Brazil will behave difference due to their countries of origin's unique perspective and Mores which would have become apart of their own individual outlook since birth, and their time growing up in those different societies.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That's not True.

There are British Japanese, American Japanese, hell there are Brazilian Japanese.

The culture and the norms will shape how people who are beholden to those cultures will react or interpret things. An American will stereotypically hold Freedom and Self Reliance above most things, and so forth. Likewise, can you say that an American and/or Capitalist based company will have a strict drive for making money above everything else. An American company will behave differently than a British Company, a Japanese Company, or a Brazilian company. It's not because the British Company will have a higher concentration of Genetic European People that the British Company will have different mores and procedures than the Brazilian company. Because there could still be a higher concentration of Genetic European People in an American company, but still act differently than both the British and the Brazilian companies. Even if they have the same number of Genetically European People in leadership.

You are making it about race by trying to state because I'm black, X. I didn't say because they were Japanese they are doing X. I'm talking about the Country's mores. Just like my Mores are not the same as an African person, even if our genotypes and phenotypes largely match up.

The Shared Racial Aspect will only tell how the people look, and even then there will be environmental differences like diet and geographical elements (both figuratively and literally) in play. There is no instinctual way a person from a Genetic Background will always act. Nor did anyone claim anything of the sort save for your analogy. In fact, you would have had more of a leg to stand on if you even said "American Black". Not that it would be necessarily true, but you would at least have had a focus which you could explain. You simply said Black. As Black American, Black Canadian, Black British, African Black, etc.

I spoke about a Japanese Country in Japan. A company made of up all American Japanese people from America, British Japanese people from Britain, or Brazilian Japanese from Brazil will behave difference due to their countries of origin's unique perspective and Mores which would have become apart of their own individual outlook since birth, and their time growing up in those different societies.
Obsidian. No. This is no different than saying all gamers are assholes, all black people steal, all men that put pronouns in their bio are soy boys, all goths do drugs, all highschool football players are bullies, all cops are racist (Even the black ones), all American's are fat, all men are sexist, all women scream when they see a rat, all blondes are dumb, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

The reason I bring up race is because that's a very personal thing for you and bringing up something personal and that you take seriously is supposed to make you think, "WOW! He's right! I am making assumptions about people just like all those cops I've had to deal with that assumed I was a criminal just because of my skin color. Maybe I should not do that since I don't like when that happens to me." It's that whole, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" thing.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Obsidian. No. This is no different than saying all gamers are assholes, all black people steal, all men that put pronouns in their bio are soy boys, all goths do drugs, all highschool football players are bullies, all cops are racist (Even the black ones), all American's are fat, all men are sexist, all women scream when they see a rat, all blondes are dumb, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

The reason I bring up race is because that's a very personal thing for you and bringing up something personal and that you take seriously is supposed to make you think, "WOW! He's right! I am making assumptions about people just like all those cops I've had to deal with that assumed I was a criminal just because of my skin color. Maybe I should not do that since I don't like when that happens to me." It's that whole, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" thing.
You're not a fan of stereotypical SJWs? You know, those individuals who ignore what others, so self assured that they as individuals know what those named others are saying? Individuals who steam roll over what other people's true meanings in favor for what they as individuals affixed to the situation?

Congratulations. You went full SJW.

I said my piece. I explained what I meant. I linked the articles. To sum up, The Cultural Japanese Method of Handling Sexual Misconduct for women is not a cheery one.

You're conflating Culture with Stereotypes, and that's not on me. You were actually called out on doing so in the last page. Talking about tenets of a culture is very different than the "All X are Y" statement. The American Culture holds Personal Freedom and Individuality as Paramount. That's an Aspect of Culture. The American Culture is a Capitalist One, and so their Businesses will most likely reflect that. That's an Aspect of Culture.

What I've linked has been documented and recorded aspects of Japanese Culture. Not all Japanese people agree with it. But it is a part of the culture. Such as America and Guns have been intertwined since its inception, but not all Americans love and cherish guns.

The very laws are made where the women have to prove their innocence in rape by fighting back.

And again, the culture is one where the victim is made to apologize just to garner sympathy for what happened to her.

I've said all I'm going to say on this.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
That's not True.

That's a very American way to look at this.

Unless the person was born in Japan and grew up there and then later in life moved to those other countries, unless a person was not born and raised in those countries, what most people would see them as would be part of those countries, with a Japanese heritage/origin.

It doesn't really make sense to include Brazillian Japanese cultural views when talking about issues in current Japan and if these people lived in Brazil all their lives their opinions are kinda irrelevant culturally speaking.

I agree with your overall point about the different cultural attitudes in the companies you describe, that bit is fine, but I think you kinda lose the plot when you try to link ownership of Japanese culture to expats (especially second + generation ones). Whatever culture they have, they're actually NOT part of Japanese culture, rather, they're just expanding the definition British/Brazilian/American culture. Similar to how all that Engrish in Japan that Japanese people born there and who lived there all their lives speak is not American culture but actually Japanese culture.

When something is integrated and absorbed into a society, it's part of that culture, even if it originates elsewhere. It's kinda like how pasta is seen as Italian, despite it actually being chinese in origin.