The artist in thee

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Zemalac said:
though I'll admit that when I first saw his hat I thought he was wearing a patched sock on his head.
Who's to say he's not? I don't think I take my character designs seriously enough to discount the possibility of epic sock-hats.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Zemalac said:
Fightgarr said:
Hey Zemalac, it's been a while since I commented on one of your pieces. With a piece like this my advice would be to warm up the highlights and cool down the shadows a lot. See how on his face the shadows are red? Try cooling down the hue. Your highlights right now are going towards white, but he's being lit by fire, thus your brightest highlight would be light orange and so all colours would be going towards that. Try messing around with "soft light" layers and giving the shadows and highlights some slightly different hues like that. You can also mess around a bit with colour balance, but for something like this you'll need to be more precise. Another technique that would look pretty ballin' in this situation would be to employ rim lighting. Basically it's just an extreme highlight that we only see the edge of because the rest of the highlight is on the back of something/someone. It replaces your dark outline with something that is basically your most extreme highlight for that surface. Take a look at some reference for backlighting and you'll see what I mean.

Other than that it's a cool image. I like the textures on the jacket a lot.

Here's a couple of random doodles from me, all for different weekly activities on ConceptArt.org...
Alternative urinal design for a public aquarium, industrial design of the week:

The intergalactic postman, for character of the week:

A couple of sketches for environment of the week

Hey, good to hear from you again. I'll definitely take your advice about the highlights and shadows--looking at this again, it sort of looks like the character is standing in front of a backdrop instead of actually being in the scene, if that makes sense. Some better highlighting and shadows would fix that, I think.

Your work is, as always, magnificent. I especially love the robotic mailman, though I'll admit that when I first saw his hat I thought he was wearing a patched sock on his head.

EDIT:

Asuka Soryu said:

http://asukalangleysoryu.deviantart.com/

Most of my pics are done in MS Paint, like the one above.
Wait, that was done in Paint? That epic thing? MS Paint?

My mind is blown.
xD Yup. Nearly wasted my hand doing it... it was so long. At first I was like: "the guy who made this is a master of detail"

Then after 3 hours and still going:

"I hate the ass who made this thing so detailed".

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
My page: http://orangebandguy.deviantart.com/

My latest work:http://orangebandguy.deviantart.com/art/Angron-The-Red-Angel-197065890

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Bloody hell it's been a long time since I posted here!

Hope you enjoy them.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
The Mist

I can see smoke in the air. Great billows of blackness stretching towards the heavens. I continue my drive homeward, getting closer to the lighted darkness, growing more fearful with every second. Say it isn't so! Our house is in flames.

I jump from the vehicle before it's even completely stopped, listening for the screams I desperately never wish to hear. Was that a 'help'? I don't even wait to reason it out. Dashing through the front door, eyes peering through the fire as if it wasn't even there. A sound of muffling coming from the bedroom; I am on my way. Busting through the doorway I see her, my love. Crouched down near the window, too weak or perhaps too scared to find her freedom. Grabbing a book or a statue or whatever for my mind doesn't even register what it could possibly be, as I hurry towards her, the item passing through the window as my arms reach around her and lift her through the newfound opening. Her eyes sparkle recognition, happiness, as they realize my presence. She is free. She is safe. And with a cracking sound above me, my world disappears.

I travel in a mist; no real direction, but then again with no real goal. I feel no pain, no emotion, only a calm emptiness, almost relaxing. This is no dream for I usually remember my dreams and they are nothing like this. Usually so full of adventure and love, but this is a sweet nothingness. I would almost say so cold, but I can't actually feel it. Maybe this is a purgatory, or a contentment come to life. Whatever, wherever this is, I have no temptation to worry. I am just as I am; a lone wanderer to nowhere.

Suddenly there's a sharpness along my cheek. I feel a coolness all around it. I try to open my eyes widely ro see what is going on but they're hesitant to cooperate. Slowly, a world creeps open, hazy and dull. And a smile. A tearfilled smile. An angel? Yes, my angel. My love. She seems so very happy. I wish to cry but so tired. I notice her setting a razor down beside her. I notice the white walls behind her closing in. I travel in a mist again, with no real direction.

My journey continues on for what seems so much longer than before though time has no meaning to me. Nothing does. My mind doesn't even bother to think about these surroundings just as my body doesn't seem to care either. It just continues to roam as my brain carefreely rejoices in the splendor of not being needed. Not here. I laugh at that thought, knowing I should be missing thinking. But for some reason I don't. And the thought is gone, if it was ever even there.

A warmness clenches my hand. My hand, not swinging casually by my side, but clumped upon my chest. Now what is going on? My eyes slide open, allowing just a little of the real world in. White walls. Still? Yes, still white walls. A white sheet before me. Covering me? I think maybe so. My hand pon my chest, the clenching suddenly tighter. An arm stretching from the cluster up out of view. I try to focus in that direction, and a head enters my view. My angel! My angel? Is it? Something isn't right. The slightest hint of grayness in the hair. Eyes sinking inwards. Her smile still warm, but not as bright as it should be. How long has it been? I want nothing more than to reach up to her and let her know my love. I try to at least clench her hand like she clenches mine. I try. But the mist overcomes me once again. I travel on.

No roads, no points of interest, no signs of any sort of disturbance. Not dark, but no real light either. Relaxing. Peaceful. A tranquil non-life. Though perhaps shortlived this time around. So much weight suddenly pressed upon my stomach. Is it pain? Not pain; just discomfort. My eyes slowly open.

A lady, I believe, pushing herself up from me. A dress, blue I think. She is upset. Frustrated. Annoyed. Talking though no one else is in view. Perhaps to herself. Scoldingly. Doesn't matter for I hear no words. She's setting herself down beside me, falling out of view. Who? So familiar but no one I know. Not stressing the matter, I continue to examine the room. White walls, a white sheet upon me. Light, as if coming from a window dazzling my attention. Something framed across the way, but too out of focus for me to tell what exactly it could be. A television set on the wall in the corner, playing something I don't recognize. The colors are nice though, I feel myself mesmerized by them. Such pretty colors.

And then there she is again. Jumping into view so quickly I was startled. My body didn't seem to show it though. No movement at all. But when I see her smile, so very beautiful smile, the wrinkles around her sunken eyes can't hide my angel from me. My beautiful love, so old looking. So frail. And I can see the saddness hiding behind the sparkle in her eyes. Oh God, what has she done? Why is she at my side? Still. She looks as tired as I feel, but I'm fighting it. I want to tell her I love her. I wish to let her know she needs to go on. I only desire for her to be happy. So sad. So alone. With me. A single tear escapes just before the mist overtakes me.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
New Troll said:
The Mist

I can see smoke in the air. Great billows of blackness stretching towards the heavens. I continue my drive homeward, getting closer to the lighted darkness, growing more fearful with every second. Say it isn't so! Our house is in flames.

I jump from the vehicle before it's even completely stopped, listening for the screams I desperately never wish to hear. Was that a 'help'? I don't even wait to reason it out. Dashing through the front door, eyes peering through the fire as if it wasn't even there. A sound of muffling coming from the bedroom; I am on my way. Busting through the doorway I see her, my love. Crouched down near the window, too weak or perhaps too scared to find her freedom. Grabbing a book or a statue or whatever for my mind doesn't even register what it could possibly be, as I hurry towards her, the item passing through the window as my arms reach around her and lift her through the newfound opening. Her eyes sparkle recognition, happiness, as they realize my presence. She is free. She is safe. And with a cracking sound above me, my world disappears.

I travel in a mist; no real direction, but then again with no real goal. I feel no pain, no emotion, only a calm emptiness, almost relaxing. This is no dream for I usually remember my dreams and they are nothing like this. Usually so full of adventure and love, but this is a sweet nothingness. I would almost say so cold, but I can't actually feel it. Maybe this is a purgatory, or a contentment come to life. Whatever, wherever this is, I have no temptation to worry. I am just as I am; a lone wanderer to nowhere.

Suddenly there's a sharpness along my cheek. I feel a coolness all around it. I try to open my eyes widely ro see what is going on but they're hesitant to cooperate. Slowly, a world creeps open, hazy and dull. And a smile. A tearfilled smile. An angel? Yes, my angel. My love. She seems so very happy. I wish to cry but so tired. I notice her setting a razor down beside her. I notice the white walls behind her closing in. I travel in a mist again, with no real direction.

My journey continues on for what seems so much longer than before though time has no meaning to me. Nothing does. My mind doesn't even bother to think about these surroundings just as my body doesn't seem to care either. It just continues to roam as my brain carefreely rejoices in the splendor of not being needed. Not here. I laugh at that thought, knowing I should be missing thinking. But for some reason I don't. And the thought is gone, if it was ever even there.

A warmness clenches my hand. My hand, not swinging casually by my side, but clumped upon my chest. Now what is going on? My eyes slide open, allowing just a little of the real world in. White walls. Still? Yes, still white walls. A white sheet before me. Covering me? I think maybe so. My hand pon my chest, the clenching suddenly tighter. An arm stretching from the cluster up out of view. I try to focus in that direction, and a head enters my view. My angel! My angel? Is it? Something isn't right. The slightest hint of grayness in the hair. Eyes sinking inwards. Her smile still warm, but not as bright as it should be. How long has it been? I want nothing more than to reach up to her and let her know my love. I try to at least clench her hand like she clenches mine. I try. But the mist overcomes me once again. I travel on.

No roads, no points of interest, no signs of any sort of disturbance. Not dark, but no real light either. Relaxing. Peaceful. A tranquil non-life. Though perhaps shortlived this time around. So much weight suddenly pressed upon my stomach. Is it pain? Not pain; just discomfort. My eyes slowly open.

A lady, I believe, pushing herself up from me. A dress, blue I think. She is upset. Frustrated. Annoyed. Talking though no one else is in view. Perhaps to herself. Scoldingly. Doesn't matter for I hear no words. She's setting herself down beside me, falling out of view. Who? So familiar but no one I know. Not stressing the matter, I continue to examine the room. White walls, a white sheet upon me. Light, as if coming from a window dazzling my attention. Something framed across the way, but too out of focus for me to tell what exactly it could be. A television set on the wall in the corner, playing something I don't recognize. The colors are nice though, I feel myself mesmerized by them. Such pretty colors.

And then there she is again. Jumping into view so quickly I was startled. My body didn't seem to show it though. No movement at all. But when I see her smile, so very beautiful smile, the wrinkles around her sunken eyes can't hide my angel from me. My beautiful love, so old looking. So frail. And I can see the saddness hiding behind the sparkle in her eyes. Oh God, what has she done? Why is she at my side? Still. She looks as tired as I feel, but I'm fighting it. I want to tell her I love her. I wish to let her know she needs to go on. I only desire for her to be happy. So sad. So alone. With me. A single tear escapes just before the mist overtakes me.
Now I have never been a fan of things written in 1st person but this is an exception.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
GenericAmerican said:
Now I have never been a fan of things written in 1st person but this is an exception.
Thank you. Actually most my writing tends to be in first person, even if I try not to. Just the way I see my story I guess. Plus it's probably just easier and I am a bit lazy so...

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
New Troll said:
GenericAmerican said:
Thank you. Actually most my writing tends to be in first person, even if I try not to. Just the way I see my story I guess. Plus it's probably just easier and I am a bit lazy so...
I can't write in 1st person at all. When I write, I am always writing about my characters; not as my characters.

I can't even write a story about myself in first person. And it's weird to write about myself in 3rd person.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Here's a dapper robotic gentleman:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/051/0/e/a_dapper_robotic_gentleman_by_adrius15-d3a05qe.jpg
(Sorry, the picture doesn't show, but the link still works.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
subject_87 said:
Here's a dapper robotic gentleman:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/051/0/e/a_dapper_robotic_gentleman_by_adrius15-d3a05qe.jpg
(Sorry, the picture doesn't show, but the link still works.)
Fix'd it for you.

Very creative.

Smagmuck_

Aug 25, 2009
I'm working on a series of short stories based on a character from a popular RP here... I'll let you guys have a paragraph before I finish. :3

<spoiler=November Juliet>The left shoulder of his target exploded out behind him in a red mist. Just as he did so, a piece of ordinance went of near him, picking up off his feet and throwing him to the ground. He could barely hear now, the adrenaline coursed through his veins, that age old feeling he had become all too accustom to hit him like a ton of bricks. He picked himself up out of the dirt. Rodriguez patted him on the shoulder, and nodded. James couldn't see passed Alex's mirror Oakley goggles and dirt stained balaclava. The lieutenant came up behind James.

If any of you guys lurked that RP, you'll know who I'm following.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Here is my self portrait in my favorite style. Its simple but fun to draw.
The little things in the picture are my conflicting feelings of creativity and boredom. I'm gonna redraw them sometime cause boredom attacked while I was trying to finish the picture.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sorry for the poor quality, dont have access to a scanner

just randomly doodling it eventually turned into this, in pencil and fine liner inspired after playing left 4 dead

Any feedback is welcome please be honest I can take it : )

[http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Vault10191/?action=view&current=P8270107.jpg]

Nightshard

Feb 25, 2011
I'll just leave these here. Sorry if they're a little big.

First: characters from an ill-fated mana khemia RP
Second: entry for a mascot contest for the university anime club (theme: film noir)
Third: second entry for the mascot contest (I lost). The giant fruit on the table is the symbol of the club, a Nashi Pear (protip: the flower in her hat is a nashi pear blossom, because I'm obsessive over tiny details like that.)

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
retouched this up. lost motivation to do art like 5 years ago

[http://img263.imageshack.us/i/lostring.jpg/]

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
It's Been Too Long

It has been too long since I looked into your eyes.
To see the reflection of the rest of our lives.
Too long since I felt your hand in mine.
Your comfort letting me know everything's fine.
Way too long since your voice ringed in my ears.
Telling me I will be happy the rest of my years.
Too freaking long since warmth chilled my heart.
Leaving me waiting for it's beating to start.
Long it's been since I shared your thoughts.
About you, about I, us in the coming months.
Too long of a time since I held your embrace.
Making the cold night's dreams dreary to face.
Too long since I knew such a beautiful sight.
Leaving me trying to vision you here tonight.
Us together, you right next to me.
No where else I would rather be.
It has been too long. I miss you.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
He looks worried..not sure about what

[spoiler/] [http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Vault10191/?action=view&amp;current=manwithaxe.jpg][/spoiler]