The Atrocities of Your National Heritage... This is a Fun Thread! :D

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
Andy Beaumont said:
I am British, and the whole opium wars where we forced opium onto China to make massive profits, when China refused the opium because it was bad, we went to war with them. Kind of a dick move.
You've got to remember that we needed our tea and the opium wars were clearly the only logical solution to maintaining the British supply!

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
thaluikhain said:
medv4380 said:
thaluikhain said:
last one known being the neanderthals, and that's technically pre-history, though any number of other unrecorded pre-historic genocides are possible.
Not to burst your fiction bubble, but Neanderthals weren't exterminated. Truthfully they didn't die out ether. A significant portion of Europeans actually have genetic markers showing they are descended from them. Your belief is based on the Out of Africa Hypothesis that was disprove and replaced with Multi-regionalism.
Assuming that to be the case (there is still some debate about that), that is irrelevant.

Neanderthals, as a species, no longer exists, due to human activity. That fits the definition of genocide, even if some descendants of neanderthals survive in another species.
Nope, your definition of genocide is false. Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group. Neanderthals simply Evolved or where breed out. Nether condition satisfies the definition of genocide.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
DeliciousTruffle said:
I am also a mutt. And it doesn't matter, because I would like to be judged on what I have done to help other people, not what my dead old ancestors have done.
Too bad. Sins of the father and all that.

OT: I'm american, so I get blamed for pretty much every bad thing in the world anyway. I'm sure at least a quarter of this site thinks that the Great Wall was built to keep the US from invading China.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
We had a president who defied the supreme court to force natives from working the land that they rightly owned on a death march to the desert, killing thousands. And now, his face is on the $20 bill.

Aug 25, 2009
Hmm.

My heritage is Welsh, Irish, English, Scottish, and a little bit of Mongolian blood in there too.

So I guess technically ancestorially the worst atrocity would be the whole Genghis Khan thing, mixed in with a little of the British Empire and some of the good old Irish Troubles to boot.

But then again, that also means that hereditarially (I'm enjoying these words) I also oppressed myself pretty badly on three separate occasions, so do I balance out?

Not that I subscribe to the idea of cultural guilt anyway, I think it's ridiculous

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm German, so my answer should be obvious.

For anyone who still doesn't get it, yes, I am talking about this stuff; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut.

Absolutely atrocious. I'll never forgive my ancestors for popularizing this disgusting stuff.
That stuff is vile and your country should feel ashamed for inflicting it upon the world.

Daystar Clarion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm German, so my answer should be obvious.

For anyone who still doesn't get it, yes, I am talking about this stuff; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut.

Absolutely atrocious. I'll never forgive my ancestors for popularizing this disgusting stuff.
You think that's bad?

I'm surprised we're not on trial for crimes against humanity.
Oh the shame of it all.

I personally despise marmite. I also hate it's advertising. It is not a love or hate thing I know 3 or 4 people who are completely indifferent to the stuff.

Don't quite get how you can be indifferent to diarrhea being spread on your toast frankly.

EDIT: OT (I always forget this part): Um, being of Highland descent looting and pillaging of the border regions. Being part viking looting and pillaging a hell of a lot of places. Being British the whole empire thing.

BUT!

We gave the world Mr Bean. So you have to forgive us. = D Everyone loves Rowan Atkinson.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Phasmal said:
I'm English, so we had the Empire and everything.
I've also lived in Scotland and some of them are still pretty upset about all the stuff we did to them.
But we're making it up by being villians in movies.
And damn good ones at that.

You know, if everyone had just sat down and had a nice cup of tea, they would have realised we weren't all that bad. Good job, America, ruining everything. Then there was the naked guy with the stick! Just sit and have some tea, we'll work this out. I for one, eagerly await the New British Empire, in space. We just need to take over the ESA first and/or the EU.

[small]Wheeeee, trivialising and completely misrepresenting history is fun![/small]

Jynthor said:
I'm Dutch and you totally deserved being enslaved and getting your land stolen.
Ok, maybe not.
hah, we stole your game and were better at it too!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sieg Firebrand said:
I'm British. We're responsible for America. I'm so sorry.
Oh god my sides just nearly exploded from that one.

Our government really should apologise for that.

Evil Raccoon

Ever vigilant
Oct 6, 2009
Alleged_Alec said:
Evil Raccoon said:
Netherlands: Slave trade, we're sorry for that.
And trying to retake Indonesia after World War II, not our finest moment...
Or when our troops did nothing during ethnic cleansing in Srebrenica. At least we still have troops feeling utterly guilty about it but still, not our greatest moment. Still sort of peeved that it is not taught in history classes.

Also: salty liquorice (salmiak). And advocaat. We're sorry about those as well.
True, not our finest moment now that they found bodies on the property of the Dutchbat base.
However, I am not sorry for a lesser known fact of Dutch history: Sailing onto the Thames during one of the many Dutch-English wars, breaking the chain of the English fleet, and then getting out with England's prize ship.

Duskwaith

Sep 20, 2008
Matthew94 said:
So how does that make the IRA of that time any better?

He was still arrested multiple times with possession of weapons and was implicated in a gun fight as well form what I've seen. Hardly a poster child for freedom.

Helmholtz Watson said:
Matthew94 said:
Like I said to another person, the border is not far from no matter where you are and the republic is 5x bigger than the north. They can go south if they want to be free from the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/9/newsid_2516000/2516477.stm

Even before Sands died the people voted to stay part of the UK so the IRA weren't fighting "for the people" or anything like that.

The only time I think you could fairly be on the side of the IRA is pre-partition when the UK ruled the whole island.
You'll forgive me if I have as much sympathy for Ulster Loyalist as I do for people who wanted to succeed from the Union and join the Confederacy.
You really don't know what you're on about do you? Not everyone who doesn't like/support the IRA is automatically a loyalist and goes marching in parades you know.

Stop bringing up loyalists as they have no bearing on the IRA of the 70s and 80's.
Actually the Loyalists where solely to blame for the resurgence of the IRA and hence Bobby Sands radicalisation. The Loyalists burned,bombed and murdered Catholics long before the IRA became active in 1969 (look up the murder of catholic barmen to discredit Terence O'Neil)

The IRA of the modern era started off as an organisation to defend catholic areas before it went all tits up when they declared war on the British Army etc. which was exacerbated by the Falls road curfew.

So yes loyalists and the likes of the sectarian driven orange lodge had a massive bearing on the IRA of the 70s/80s especially when they where implicit in various sectarian actions.

As for Bobby Sands, he starved himself to death for his beliefs and was silently supported by those deemed his enemies in the opposite wings of the prison. That takes balls even if he was engaged in a struggle for what was deemed a struggle for his countries freedom from an oppressive protestant dominated state.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
'Back in my day, when we saw a man in a skirt we shot him and nicked his country.'
Gold start for the quote. :D

Also relevant:
"The type of people we liked to fight were two feet tall and armed with dry grass."
That's the sort of military thinking I can get behind! ;)

True story: the youth group I went to as a child banned the union jack at their campsites, because of the atrocities committed under it. A mate of mine had a union jack tent (she was a big fan of Brit Pop) so we had to hide it behind a couple of other ones.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Well, I am german. I don't think I have to tell you what people from this region did, do I?

But other than the elephant in the room: Kicking of WWI wasn't really classy, either, but with that one it was basically a red barrel waiting for a stray shot - if it hadn't been the germans, someone would have started that mess. Other than that, germans never really were "nice guys" in history. I kinda regret that my babaric ancestors put so much pressure on the Roman Empire - on the other hand, I like the idea of us being the "angry, drunken guys" who the Romans would rather leave alone or recruit as mercenaries.

Well, let's come to my personal ancestors:
My grandfather skipped the East-West Germany border quite a few times back when The Wall was up. That's not the bad thing - it was kinda heroic and cool. No, the bad thing here is that someone in our family ratted him out. Twice. He barely got away both times, but we never found out who the traitor was - if my mom ever goes to Berlin, she might look into the old Stasi Archive to see who it was.

And, well, there was an old relative who always said that our family comes from a bunch of "Raubritter" - literally translated "robbing knights", knights who, well, robbed people and pillaged stuff. He always said our name was "Sonnenstein" back then... then again, he might have been talking out of his drunken sewage disposal unit.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
xshadowscreamx said:
well im Australian... ummm. i cant anything that was an atrocity in australia.
..? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ehem - sorry. That's kind of hilarious. Doesn't genocide count as an atrocity anymore?

English here, so imperialism, general genocidal nastiness, crusading, all that stuff and nonsense. Whoops!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh, it gets better.

Good luck sleeping tonight :D
WOW. Why did I come back to this thread.

Yeah, scratch my earlier post, I'm not gonna be ashamed of Sauerkraut if this stuff is being sold in other parts of the world.

Can you imagine an animal died just to be turned into that? I'm fine with killing em and making em tasty, but if you're just gonna make them disgusting, you might as well eat Sauerkraut and not take a life.
Why did you come back to this thread to quote something from like 10 pages ago? XD

Yeah, thanks for bringing this back into the discussion. I had only puked once after seeing those images. I could really go for another bowel purge.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Evil Raccoon said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Evil Raccoon said:
snip
True, not our finest moment now that they found bodies on the property of the Dutchbat base.
However, I am not sorry for a lesser known fact of Dutch history: Sailing onto the Thames during one of the many Dutch-English wars, breaking the chain of the English fleet, and then getting out with England's prize ship.
That's what you get when you have a king more interested in screwing and drinking than ruling. That period of history wasn't great for us- civil war, plague, the capital burnt down and then that. Still, we took New York, so there's that I guess?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh, it gets better.

Good luck sleeping tonight :D
WOW. Why did I come back to this thread.

Yeah, scratch my earlier post, I'm not gonna be ashamed of Sauerkraut if this stuff is being sold in other parts of the world.

Can you imagine an animal died just to be turned into that? I'm fine with killing em and making em tasty, but if you're just gonna make them disgusting, you might as well eat Sauerkraut and not take a life.
Why did you come back to this thread to quote something from like 10 pages ago? XD
Because I felt like it.

Also, I really wanted to make you puke again :p
How did they get a hat and sunglasses on a bear!?

I must know---*BLARGH*

Still puking, sorry.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Well, I think the fact that the United States had the whole slavery and Native persecution thing is pretty bad, though I know there's probably a lot more skeletons in our closet. As for El Salvador, that civil war there a while ago was pretty bad.