The Avengers Hulk Smashes Box Office Record

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I saw the movie yesterday...it deserves to make all of this cash. They got Joss Whedon and god it showed.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well deserved. I don't remember the last time I had so much pure fun watching a movie. It was glorious. 3D was shit though but it doesn't matter. I'm gonna have to see it again.

Steven Rayborn said:
I went to my local theater and enjoyed over 15 hours of awesome. They had the Ultimate Marvel Marathon for $40, and it was Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 3D, Capt. America 3D and then the Avengers 3D. Was there from 11am til the Avengers ended and I don't regret a second of my time, nor a penny spent. Our theater was even cool enough to let everyone in the 2 sold out showing rooms bring in any sort of food they wanted, no bag-checking or anything.

Best. Day. Ever!
That's fuckin' epic, man!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Emiscary said:
Always remember: Fox fought tooth and nail against the creation of this movie. Fuck them.
I don't follow, why was Fox fighting so hard against the creation of this movie?

OT: Holy crap that movie was freaking amazing, this might be one of the very few movies I go out and see again. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie. :D

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
dalek sec said:
Emiscary said:
Always remember: Fox fought tooth and nail against the creation of this movie. Fuck them.
I don't follow, why was Fox fighting so hard against the creation of this movie?

OT: Holy crap that movie was freaking amazing, this might be one of the very few movies I go out and see again. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie. :D
They have the movie rights to fantastic 4, They were probably hoping Disney would fork over some cash to allow them to use the skrulls (what the aliens originally were supposed to be).

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Qitz said:
Can't say I'm surprised Avengers is spanking Box Office's all around. Marvel poured Millions, if not Billions, into setting this thing up, there was no way they would half-ass it and let it sink.

Still, nice to see.
Yeah, sorry but I think Billions is streaching it.
erttheking said:
I saw the movie yesterday...it deserves to make all of this cash. They got Joss Whedon and god it showed.
Yeah, the question is will they be able to bring him back for The Avengers 2? I really hope they do.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
They have the movie rights to fantastic 4, They were probably hoping Disney would fork over some cash to allow them to use the skrulls (what the aliens originally were supposed to be).
Ah I see... fuck 'em. Hope Whedon's been calling them up just to laugh his ass off at them. I'm kinda hoping that Disney's answer to Fox was a lovely drawing of their princess' shooting the bird to them, that would have been funny.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Yeah, sorry but I think Billions is streaching it.
Well, yeah. Billions is probably stretching it a bit. But it is probably near a billion. If you look at the claimed production costs for each of the movies necessary to lead up to this shared Marvel universe.

$Mil Movie
$140 Captain America
$150 Thor
$140 Iron Man
$200 Iron Man 2
$150 Incredible Hulk
$220 Avengers
$1,000 TOTAL

Their $1 billion gamble paid off big time. Avengers was incredible. Now there's Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2 on the horizon. I have to say I'm loving the Marvel Movie Universe. Bring on Thanos for Avengers 2!

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I saw it Saturday, It was good. 3D is a damn gimmick (except for Jackass 3D, that was perfect) and I avoid it whenever possible.

I saw it in 2D and was surprised by Joss Whedon's restraint at work in avoiding the obligatory "it'll look cool in 3D" shots, there was only one shot in the whole film that looked out of place.

Now I have to wait for the Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog sequel.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
jdogtwodolla said:
Anybody here know if the 3D is worth it?
Its ok. Nothing special. The movie wasn't filmed in 3d, but rather added later. So its nowhere near as good as say Avatar. But it still adds to the movie. (altough I got a little sick at the end of it because of the strain on the eyes)

The movie itself, 2d or 3d, is fucking amazing.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
Sonic Doctor said:
I believe Disney owns Marvel wholesale (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But back before Superhero movies were the next big thing, they sold the rights to Spiderman and X-men movies. Which is why no matter how much they may suck the people who bought the rights will continue to make Spiderman and X-men movies so the rights don't return to Disney.

Heck this is why the Skrulls weren't the alien army in this movie, because they sold the rights to Fantastic 4 movies. And Skrulls originally appeared in the Fantastic 4 comic, so by whatever weird legal logic they use there considered part of the deal.

So any characters that were part of these works we will never see as part of this new evolving marvel movie world that they've created.
I see, well if I ever become overload, and have control over both companies, I will make them work together to make the Marvel universe in movies whole and cohesive.

If I had the money to go see The Avengers, I would, but I don't.

Kalezian said:
Fox has the rights to Spider Man movies and probably the likeness of Spider Man, so he probably wont be making an appearance anytime soon since Fox fought really hard to keep this movie from being released.

OT: I WOULD SEE THIS MOVIE BUT INSTEAD MY LOCAL THEATER DECIDED THINK LIKE A MAN WAS GOING TO MAKE MORE MONEY.

fucking RAGE, OH CRAP I THINK I BROKE MY CAPS LOCK KEY.

no seriously, I was waiting for them to put up the Avengers sign only for some shit movie based on a book about relationships to be put up instead.
Your local theater only has one screen or something? I figured The Avengers was an in theaters everywhere type movie.

Ah, so the "cancel happy imps" have control over the other parts. Somebody needs to fire whoever is in running their entertainment television division. I found out a week ago(know I was late to the party) that at the beginning of March they decided to cancel Terra Nova. I was really starting like that show, first new show on American television that I've actually liked in the past couple years, plus it was sci-fi/fantasy, which just isn't around much these days unless I watch the BBC.

SyFy murdered the Stargate franchise with that stupid Universe series. It had a Stargate in the show, and some familiar faces to launch it off in the pilot, but that show was not Stargate.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
jdogtwodolla said:
I've seen the movie twice now, both in 3D and well, you don't really notice. I don't think they had any particular scene or moment for 3D so I don't know if it turns out to be worth it the end (honestly, I just literally think they deserved the extra cash).

Also, I'm not sure if they intended it or if its a phenomena of cinema but during most of the one on one conversations if you take your glasses off its pretty much perfectly 2D except the objective field (the background.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Were I not too lazy to walk to the puter ATM I'd photoshop the gameboy "IT PRINTS MONEY!!" pic to feature an iron man helmet spitting out bills here.

This is the greatest thing to touch comics ever and I hope all the people involved continue to profit and keep up the wonderful work.

Seriously let's get to collecting those Infinity Gems ASAP.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
And the difference between this film and a Michael Bay film is what?
It's actually good, doesn't treat it's audience like 13 year old dumb-asses, has clever jokes and excellent character chemistry between the cast.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
darkstone said:
CardinalPiggles said:
And the difference between this film and a Michael Bay film is what?
It's actually good,
Great start
doesn't treat it's audience like 13 year old dumb-asses,
That is the target audience, you were a 13 year old dumb ass once too
has clever jokes
Cool opinion broheim, but not everyone shares it
and excellent character chemistry between the cast.
Ok good example there.

Next please.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Excludos said:
jdogtwodolla said:
Its ok. Nothing special. The movie wasn't filmed in 3d, but rather added later. So its nowhere near as good as say Avatar. But it still adds to the movie. (altough I got a little sick at the end of it because of the strain on the eyes)

The movie itself, 2d or 3d, is fucking amazing.
why don't I get eye strain?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
A lot of people are going to see it multiple times, which I swear is what made winter release Avatar half of its billions of dollars.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
We decided to make it special and go dressed up as star wars characters. The theater was cool enough to let me sit in there and watch it even in my clunky as all hell stormtrooper armour, was totally worth the discomfort.