The Avengers Hulk Smashes Box Office Record

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I saw this movie yesterday and I'm glad this movie is doing very well.

Joss Wheadon has proved to everyone else who has doubted him that he can do a fantastic movie.I already knew this movie would do well because I enjoyed Dollhouse,Serenity,Firefly which were directed by him and I knew he had the chops to pull it off.

I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys action movies,even if you are not into comic book heroes.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
darkstone said:
CardinalPiggles said:
And the difference between this film and a Michael Bay film is what?
It's actually good,
Great start
doesn't treat it's audience like 13 year old dumb-asses,
That is the target audience, you were a 13 year old dumb ass once too
has clever jokes
Cool opinion broheim, but not everyone shares it
and excellent character chemistry between the cast.
Ok good example there.

Next please.
If it was a Micheal Bay film during the final showdown 75% of the shots would be the military shooting into the sky at the bad guys. Occasionally you'd see the Hulk leaping around in the background punching stuff or maybe Iron Man would fly by. This movie had one shot and I think only one shot of national guardsmen firing into the sky and it was only for like 5 seconds.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
jdogtwodolla said:
Anybody here know if the 3D is worth it?
I saw it in 3D but wouldn't do so again. The movie is amazing but the 3D wasn't that spectacular. Only reason I did that was because it was the only midnight release my local theater was having and a bunch of my friends wanted to go.

Andy of Comix Inc said:
A lot of people are going to see it multiple times, which I swear is what made winter release Avatar half of its billions of dollars.
I already told a friend that hasn't seen it I would go again if he wanted to.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
With the Avengers making crazy piles of money, expect Avengers part II and many more Superhero movies. Hollywood has zero imagination, and will ride this superhero craze right into the ground. Similiar to when Westerns made a come back in the 80ties.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Clankenbeard said:
MorganL4 said:
Yeah, sorry but I think Billions is streaching it.
Well, yeah. Billions is probably stretching it a bit. But it is probably near a billion. If you look at the claimed production costs for each of the movies necessary to lead up to this shared Marvel universe.

$Mil Movie
$140 Captain America
$150 Thor
$140 Iron Man
$200 Iron Man 2
$150 Incredible Hulk
$220 Avengers
$1,000 TOTAL

Their $1 billion gamble paid off big time. Avengers was incredible. Now there's Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2 on the horizon. I have to say I'm loving the Marvel Movie Universe. Bring on Thanos for Avengers 2!
did you forget? after how ell they did with the hulk this movie WE NEED A NEW HULK MOVIE! haha yeah loved this movie. and i was so please becuse me and bunch of friends went to a drive in friday night and paid $8 to see both avengers and john carter. (actually kinda liked John Carter) but avengers blew us all out of the water. it as amazing.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Nah... I think it's just good strategy... not much good movies out, this is the ONLY EPIC movie out right now... it WILL DOMINATE, if it comes out the same time as the Hobbit, or Prometheus... it's not going to be this hot... it's still going to be hot... just not like this... it's the timing... BUT BOY WAS IT A GOOD FILM!~~~~~~

I CAN'T BELIEVE IN THE END OF THE MOVIE... "HE" SHOWED UP!!!!! WOW!!! THAT WOULD BE LIKE... DREAM COME TRUE!~~~ if they ARE MAKING AVENGER2 WITH *&^$#@* as the MAIN BAD GUY!!!!! WOW I WAS LIKE>> OMG NO WAY!~ MARVEL! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!~

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well, on the one hand we got Joss Wheadon, that gave us firefly, angel, buffy and works for inspiration, not money. (hes my favourite director, yeah im biased), and on the other hand we got avengers. Everyone who likes even one of them will go to see it, so its gongi to attract all the fans of other superhero movies put together. the result is a legal money printer.

what i like msot is that it broke records of both titanic and avatar, therefore removing thier name from the top 1 lists, and for that alone its worth praising.

CardinalPiggles said:
target audience. MB target audience is military +13 year olds. Joss Wheadon target audience is people with a brain.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Jaeke said:
Also, I'm not sure if they intended it or if its a phenomena of cinema but during most of the one on one conversations if you take your glasses off its pretty much perfectly 2D except the objective field (the background.
Funny that you mention it. I've noticed most 3D movies do this. I remember watching the latest Pirates of the Caribbean in 3D (DON'T JUDGE ME!) and taking my 3D glasses for a moment to rub my eyes. As I did, I noticed the image wasn't in 3D at all. In other words, it didn't take a difference if I had my glasses on or not (blurry image vs. perfect 2D image). Then another scene and back to 3D and so on and so forth.

Ever since, I've tried doing that at all 3D I've seen so far. I've noticed that animated movies (Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.) stay in 3D all the way through; for obvious reasons, I assume. but live-action movies don't; again, for obvious reasons (*couhgbudgetcough*).

This is why I don't care much about 3D anymore. :/

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Good news for Disney I suppose but really, who wasn't expecting this?
TheBobmus said:
That's good, I was concerned about its numbers following the UK opening, but I guess that it really is America bringing in the big dollars.
Cute avatar :3
Strazdas said:
target audience. MB target audience is military +13 year olds. Joss Wheadon target audience is people with a brain.
Careful there, sounds like you're implying something rather nasty.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
Excludos said:
jdogtwodolla said:
Anybody here know if the 3D is worth it?
Its ok. Nothing special. The movie wasn't filmed in 3d, but rather added later. So its nowhere near as good as say Avatar. But it still adds to the movie. (altough I got a little sick at the end of it because of the strain on the eyes)

The movie itself, 2d or 3d, is fucking amazing.
why don't I get eye strain?
It really depends a lot on the person. Some get car sick, some don't. Some gets eye straints, some don't. Some even have eyes incapable of seeing the 3d in the first place.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
dystopiaINC said:
Clankenbeard said:
MorganL4 said:
Yeah, sorry but I think Billions is streaching it.
Well, yeah. Billions is probably stretching it a bit. But it is probably near a billion. If you look at the claimed production costs for each of the movies necessary to lead up to this shared Marvel universe.

$Mil Movie
$140 Captain America
$150 Thor
$140 Iron Man
$200 Iron Man 2
$150 Incredible Hulk
$220 Avengers
$1,000 TOTAL

Their $1 billion gamble paid off big time. Avengers was incredible. Now there's Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2 on the horizon. I have to say I'm loving the Marvel Movie Universe. Bring on Thanos for Avengers 2!
did you forget? after how ell they did with the hulk this movie WE NEED A NEW HULK MOVIE! haha yeah loved this movie. and i was so please becuse me and bunch of friends went to a drive in friday night and paid $8 to see both avengers and john carter. (actually kinda liked John Carter) but avengers blew us all out of the water. it as amazing.
Mark Ruffalo's performance was absolutely amazing. If Marvel announce a Hulk movie with him reprising his role, I will seriously give them all of my money.

Ois

May 20, 2008
Mark Ruffalo's performance was absolutely amazing. If Marvel announce a Hulk movie with him reprising his role, I will seriously give them all of my money.
Apparently he's got a six movie deal with them.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mark-Ruffalo-Reveals-His-Contract-Length-With-Marvel-30711.html

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
I've seen it twice already. I like to think that by seeing it, and buying the DVD when it comes out, that I am voting with my money, and those votes go towards getting Joss Whedon to direct more films.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
darkstone said:
CardinalPiggles said:
It's actually good,
Great start
doesn't treat it's audience like 13 year old dumb-asses,
That is the target audience, you were a 13 year old dumb ass once too
has clever jokes
Cool opinion broheim, but not everyone shares it
and excellent character chemistry between the cast.
Ok good example there.

Next please.
You asked for an opinion and you got it. Quit whining.

OT: I still need to see all of the lead-up movies, but I'm excited.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
From a technical aspect, The Avengers has:

-Little to no shaky cam
-Limited extreme-close-up. You can actually see what's going on during the action scenes.
-Color correction is done competently. Takes the coloration and design of each character who is supposed to be on screen into consideration, rather than just doing the entire fucking movie in one mode. There's no instances of "orange-face Shia LeBeouf".
-Limited use of slo-mo. I counted maybe three instances in the entire movie. It's an action movie staple to be sure, but excessive usage of it is Bay's style.
-Most of the cuts for dialog actually last long enough to let the audience get in sync with the mood and pacing of the scene. The scene between Black Widow and Loki best represents this.
(if you haven't seen a Michael Bay film before, most of his cuts are incredibly short, distracting and never let the scene build)

As for the writing and characters, you'd have to hold your own opinion. I like them.
But I will say that The Avengers is a marked improvement simply because it isn't overrun with useless, retarded comic relief characters and racist caricatures.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Have to say, it truly is a Thorsome film.

super excited to see the new Marvel films coming out late this year/next year, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Black Panther. Even the Amazing Spider Man looks awesome.

Btw does anyone know if Spider-Man had some sort of cameo in this film? Even if it's just Peter Parker?